What is next for the iPhone 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jan 14, 2014.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd love it if Apple placed the A7 chip inside the iP5C and also included a few different color choices.
    Perhaps even remove the yellow and/or green and instead offer black and a navy blue.
    Project RED would be a delightful option too.

Offer a white front vs just offering the black front plate. With certain colors a white front would be more attractive.

Just some rambling thoughts for the future of the 5C.
    What would you like to see?

(And that's assuming there are also those that would like to see the 5C line disappear...)

2. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I dont think we will see any changes to the 'C' line until 6C. Then they probably will make some other color changes and options.

But I am curious how it is going to play out of Apple is indeed keeping with the 2 phone strategy. Which means we will see a iPhone 6 and a iPhone 6' ' something. Which will be hard to keep apart for 6S and 6C.

I personal would like to see the price drop. :p

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

A7, meh.

So few apps even budge an A5's cpu capability, much less the A6 its got. I'm less and less excited about soc upgrades.

5C already has LTE and 5ghz wifi.

Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't get upgraded at all.

Rumor is at least two new sizes for iPhone 6. That'll be enough of a release next fall.
    5C bringing in legacy low end.

5C, iPhone 6 4", and iPhone 6 4.5-5" as the 3 levels.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm not real sure if we will see another "c" iPhone. Depends on apple plans. If they release a larger screen size then I think we might see the 5s internals in a C like iPhone. Probably called iPhone 6c. And I could never and still don't understand the black front. I think it's to make it look ugly so you get a beautiful gold 5s you see next to it. If I wasn't on apples web site as often as I am I would throw up every time I see one. I remember seeing it at the apple keynote and just seeing how ugly it is.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

they should beef up the battery and actually increase battery life. most people getting the 5c arent looking for performance

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Apple won't make it better then the iPhone 6 not even if they could easy.

7. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

The battery performance suggestion is solid. Even a bump of 20% would maximize owners loyalty and quality of enjoyment.

I agree, mostly with the black front plate argument other than it does look decent on a white 5C.

And, upon reflection, the A7 chip isn't really a necessity and I too can see, outside of a battery bump, no other internal 'improvements'.

8. zipa macrumors 65816

Unless you are in charge of Apple's RnD, I have some difficulties with accepting your statement. Especially since they are already essentially doing that with the Macbook lineup. The cheapest and crappiest model has the best battery performance.

Not that I think that it will happen in phones. Not because they don't want to, but for the simple reason that a bigger phone will have room for a much bigger battery, plain and simple.

9. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm sorry to disagree. But I have a white 5c and the black front meshes with it well.

I can talk ugly for you and my opinion on the two-tone design of the 5/5s. IMO it's a design failure. I had the iPhone 5 for all of 4 days in September 2012 before I decided to keep my 4s. When the 5c came I upgraded to it only for LTE and only because I did not like the flagship offering. I upgrade every year so I will most likely upgrade to the 6 when it comes.

It's just that IMO, the black front is not ugly on all of the iPhone 5c's

11. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I think the next C phone will be the iPhone 5CS. bascially Apple will keep a cheaper model of the last gen. If I remember correctly, the motherboard of the 5c and 5S are identical, the only difference being the actual components. Probably this was made so that Apple could easily just upgrade the components and have the new c version.

12. cynics macrumors G4

My guess. The 5S in a plastic housing. The 6C. Meanwhile the 6 gets future upgrades. I'm just guessing, nothing to base that on except its current form.

13. Smartass macrumors 65816

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Wow, just WOW!!!!

15. cynics macrumors G4

Haha, that made me laugh. I dunno why, probably the amount of people on here that will get personally offended.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Wow what a snob.

17. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I like the 5c idea, I wish the front was colour matched to the back.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I hate that the front only comes in one color. Its like the 3G/3GS all over again, except there are more colors.

Anyway, back on point, my guess for Apple's late-2014 iPhone line will be this:

iPhone 5c 16GB: Free on 2 Year Contract ($449 off contract)
    iPhone 5c 32GB: If not discontinued, $99 on contract ($549 off contract)
    iPhone 6 16, 32, 64, 128GB: $99, $199, $299, $399 on contract ($549, $649, $749, $849 off contract)
    The unlikely iPhone Phablet: 32, 64, 128GB: $299, $399, $499 on contract ($749, $849, $949 off contract).

There is also the possibility that there will be no 16GB iPhone 6 and no 32GB iPhone 5c, and the model that will squeeze in between the 16GB 5c and 6 will be the "iPhone 5sc". In the same fashion of the iPhone 5, take the name of the current iPhone, house it in a plastic shell and add a C to the end of the name, thus iPhone 5sc. Ingenious huh? :rolleyes:

The "iPhone 5sc" 32GB: $99 on contract ($549 off contract).

Oh yeah, the iPhone line is going to get messy this year.

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

A7, M7 and a drop to free on contract. Maybe the slightly bigger battery the 5S has.

20. Rob H. macrumors newbie

I may be the lone dissenter here, but I don't get the love for the white front--I find it distracting whereas I don't notice the black screen surround at all. Besides, if Apple had released the current lineup of pastel colors with only white fronts, there'd be even more people looking down their noses at what they see as a "girly" design than there already are, imo.

21. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

I could see apple keeping the 5C around and not even having the 5s anymore after this year if they do indeed increase the screen size. That way the 5C would remain the cheaper option and they have the high end iPhone 6 or whatever it is called. And for those saying they won't drop a model after a year look at the iPhone 5.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I'm with you here. That's what I was trying to convey. They have been selling 3 models at a time.

3GS/4/4S
    4/4S/5
    4S/5C/5S

I imagine.
    5C/6a/6b

Where a and b are two different sizes. With maybe only the A6 and A8 representing.

23. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I think apple will only be updating the 'c' iPhones every other year, so i think the 6c will be next.I doubt they will change the colors except maybe ADD (but not take away any in its place) black and maybe Product [RED]. Although something i don't think many have thought about is that the 6c will have a different form-factor/design.

24. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I do agree. I do believe that the 5c will stay until 2015. Then an updated version of it will come with the next release. Personally I was very happy they release the 5c and not just the 5s as I completely hate the design of the 5/5s.

25. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Me too...especially the bare aluminum on the white was just ugly. I like the blue 5c and it is actually very sturdy unlike samsung plastic