What is really missing from the new ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by darthbane2k, Sep 10, 2015.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

.. Is HDMI passthrough.
    We should be able to ditch out cable / sky boxes once and for all and like the Xbox one pass through our live TV signal and have Siri search and present an apple centric EPG.
    Then all my TV would need is the ATV.

Wasted opportunity.

2. Scaleo macrumors member

3. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

What's wrong with HDMI?

4. Scaleo macrumors member

I'll just quote myself from a earlier post I made ^^

5. Wando64 macrumors 6502

The great majority of Hi-FI amplifiers do not have HDMI inputs.
    The only option left in the absence of a dedicated audio output is to purchase and use a separate splitter which means additional money, boxes, and cables.
    Besides, what is the pint of making the ATW so energy efficient when the average HDMI splitter will use 3 or 4 times the amount of electricity?
    On the one side Apple adds their music service to the ATW making music playing one of the main objects of the box, yet to be able to plug it into an HI-FI system you will need a splitter.

To be honest, i might end up purchasing the new ATW at some point, but looks like I will have to keep my old ATW2 connected to my HI-FI amplifier for AirPlay of music content.
    It is much more energy efficient than a separate splitter.

6. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

Not exactly true. Most AV receivers have HDMI inputs. Certain my reviewer of 4 years has 4 of them.

7. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

Simple. Use the older model Apple TV for that purpose(just to play music). Cheaper too.

8. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Quite possibly. But I didn't say AV receivers, I said HI-FI Amplifiers. I am talking Audio, not AV.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

AppleTV is an AV device. So that explains that.

10. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Yeah, whatever. Thanks. I am glad it works for you.

11. Grubster macrumors member

I have a modern denon a/v receiver with HDMI and still require optical. I have a three zone setup and the zone 2 and 3 will not work with HDMI, it requires optical. So if I want music in my whole house, I need to stick with my ATv2 and use the new one in the bedroom. Annoying that they would drop optical.

12. normanfox macrumors 6502a

what is missing?

well, years ago Steves Jobs said he cracked the TV. we all assume that ATV will be revolution. instead, we got an ATV with an app store which Apple could have done it years ago.

ATV 4 is no where near revolution. They could have put the app store on ATV 2 long ago.

13. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Optical & 4K.
    iPhone can record it. iMac can edit it. Shouldn't AppleTV view it?

14. Ipadlover29, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Gigabit Ethernet port and removable batteries for the remote (hate having to charge the remote with a lightning cable).

15. graycrow macrumors member

graycrow

16. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

H.265 support. Smaller file sizes AND better quality

17. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

The only thing that really surprised me was that they didn't change the design. I've never heard of that before. Jonny Ive and his team are some of the best designers and they take a 4 year old box and just make it fatter. First Apple product to become thicker & fatter! I'm getting the impression that because it's a cheapish product, that Apple didn't want to spend much money on it. Very greedy. I find it very bizarre.

18. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Isn't the 6s also thicker?

19. iPhisch macrumors 6502

You can get an old g-band Airport Express on eBay for about 30 bucks, probably cheaper than the HDMI splitter. Luckily I have one in my garage that I rarely use and I'll be stashing that behind my receiver for music only streaming while watching something else on tv. I like to play music while I watch baseball and stuff like that.

20. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

By an imperceptible amount, but still essentially the same form factor, which has been true for all of the "S" series phones. The form factor only changes on the number change versions, the "S" models feature internal upgrades over the original numbered model.

21. MacVault macrumors 65816

Wireless audio, ie. bluetooth earbuds, earphone jack on remote to plug in wired earbuds. Don't tell me they didn't include these features! These are no-brainers!

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Being able to use Bluetooth head phones would be good (I think it has that ability) but being able to plug in wired headphones into the remote is not a big deal for me.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

TV streaming package is all that is missing. HDMI 2.0, 4K is all fluff that is not needed right now.

And BTW for those 4k fans.... The A8 chip can handle it at 50mbps. Apple or one of the devs can give this to you.

24. thekayman macrumors 6502

25. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    We don't know for sure yet but there's a chance. Prior models have pretty much been locked at 30fps but Apple's own specs for this model says it can play 1080p 60fps. Since they are going to continue to sell the old model too, store content will have to continue to be 30fps. BUT, since they have playback hardware that can play 60fps, there should be at least a chance that they decided to go with variable frame rate playback and thus maybe 24fps too. I wish it showed in the specs but we'll probably only know when someone gets to test one and really get the many answers currently unknown.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the 60fps upgrade as I've shot lots of 1080p at 60fps for many years now. It will be great to get to "dust off" those digital files and put them in play (and trash the 30fps copies). But I'm also hopeful of native 24fps playback.