What is stopping you buying an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eddx, Mar 17, 2011.

1. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I realise that most of you guys seem to already on an iPad (either original or the new iPad 2) but for everyone else this is the question...

What is stopping you buying an iPad?

Now obviously there are two main things that instantly spring to mind for me:
    1. Costs to much / Can't afford it
    2. 64GB of storage is just not enough for your needs
    However I have a very specific need as a photographer which is stopping me purchasing an iPad. Obviously it would be a great backup device when travelling without the laptop but I really want the ability to star rate, colour label and/or flag / reject some of my best / worst images of the shoot. This would involve running some type of iPad version of Aperture or Adobe Lightroom which would then sync with the desktop version when I got back to the office.

Do you have a specific need / requirement that the iPad is not currently fulfilling?

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

When I show my iPad to non gadget types they are interested but often ask does it run office?

Many parents would rather spend $500 on/towards a laptop.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. Sodner, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sound advice, a laptop is much more useful and has far more flexible then the iPad. While it lacks the pizazz and head turning that the iPad has. Its a better option for students

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

What's a better option for students, an iPad?

7. CommanderData macrumors regular

The @&*!^%!@ resellers that buy up all the darn AT&T 3G stock within 100 miles of me every morning.

8. eddx thread starter macrumors regular

eddx

Personally my opinion is that a MacBook Air would be better for a student than an iPad.

An iPad seems more of a content consumtion device (watching videos, music, email and surfing the net). Taking notes and writing essays is something I would still use a laptop for. But then this is the opinion of someone who doesn't own an iPad :p ...yet...

9. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I'm not buying an iPad 2 because I already bought it.

10. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

The main that was keeping me from buying an iPad is the fact that it's a luxury device. You still need a laptop for syncing and some flash capabilities, and a phone for communicating on the go, so the iPad is the middle device that is more 'comfy.'

But, once I realized that my laptop is also a purely luxury device now that I have a job with a windows7 laptop, I'm finally going to make the leap.

The biggest thing for me with this iPad is over 10 hours of battery?! wtf thats a lot... my macbook core2duo can get 1hr45min TOPS now, and 1 hour playing video.

Bring on the iPad2!

11. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

What's stopping me is the iPad 2 isn't out in England yet.

12. rkahl macrumors 65816

Because I just got my iPad 8 months ago... iPad 2 is great, but not enough for me to upgrade so soon. Besides in that 8 months I got a MacBook Air. I will be getting the iPad 3, so keep all the complaints coming so everything will be worked out by the time I get mine!

13. danny_w macrumors 601

I sold my first generation iPad a while back because I realized that with my iPhone 4 now I rarely used the iPad anymore. If I were to get a new device it would probably be the MBA, but I really don't need that either because I have a perfectly good 24" iMac at home and rarely go anywhere to need a laptop. At this point either an iPad or an MBA would be purely a luxury item and I have enough other more important things to spend my money on these days (specifically my fiancee, the most wonderful woman in the world).

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

15. JeremyDScott macrumors newbie

JeremyDScott

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Definitely a laptop. Not an iPad.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

You're lucky then, at least you don't owe money to them.

18. npro1464 macrumors member

This. And the 3-4 week wait time (at the time that I ordered)

19. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I just got mine, but I agree: it's less important to me than my other Apple devices because it's limited (But I love it!)

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Oh I agree. I was confused & was wondering if the one poster was implying iPads are better for students than a netbook/notebook.

21. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

What stopped me from buying the first generation? It didn't have all the features I wanted & I am usually wary of buying first generation devices.

What's stopping me from buying the iPad 2? Supply.

22. 26.2 macrumors member

Features beyond last year's version not any I'd really use, and no stores have them. Only thing enticing me still is speed, but I mainly use the ipad for internet browsing so I'm fine waiting. And if I have to wait too long for stock, I'll just wait for ipad 3. Same thing happened to me with iphone 4 launch. After getting over initial excitement, I decided 3GS was still good enough for me...

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Have an iPad 1. iPad 2 just isnt a big upgrade for me with the money that it costs. I want to keep my iPad 1 as well so I would need to pay full for the iPad 2

24. maxinflixion macrumors member

The only thing stopping me from buying one is finding one.

That and I am having too much fun reading all of the posts on here.