Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average lifespan of wireless mouse

• 2 years or less

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 5-6 years

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • 7-8 years

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • 9-10 years

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 11 years or longer

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I am considering whether or not to invest on an expensive mouse such as the Logitech Ergo. Based on your experience, what is the average lifespan of wireless mouse?

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
if treated well and looked after can go on for years.

if abused and battered might not last long.

I got a 5 year old wireless Range Rover evoque mouse bought from china.
still going strong!

the new Logitech rechargeable mice do look sexy and I have a customer who has one and after 4 months said it stopped working and could not work out where batteries was, he did not realise it was rechargeable with fixed battery!

felt really nice and heavy, but not too heavy to cause issues long term use.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I have 3 Logitech M510 mice, all wireless, and a Logitech m525 mouse. All these mice are in excess of 5 years old and still functioning flawlessly.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
My two Logitech MX Anywhere mouse might be malfunctioning after 5-6 years of use. I have been using the trackpad on my MBP 2010 but it is causing pain in the thumb's joint. A thread mentioned about enabling double tapping. I did it but it does not work. Perhaps my MBP 2010's trackpad has no such function.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My Logitech MX-610 lasted 11 years, heavy usage.
Finally, the scroll wheel wore out.

Replaced it with a Logitech Performance MX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian33 and rafark

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 that I use daily at work (it's my primary pointing device). That thing goes in a mesh pocket on the outside of my bag every night and goes in there when I travel also. Last time I bought one (and I bought 2 with one still in the package at home) was in 2011. This thing has held up VERY well, IMO.

LOL, It's no longer available and Amazon has a used one for $117...

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I recently retired my mouse that I originally bought with my 2006 MacPro, replacing it with a new Magic Mouse. My original keyboard is still going strong. I will have to admit thought that I've needed new mouse for two years, but lived with its limited functionality. The Magic Mouse, a Christmas present, made me realize that I had hamstrung myself for too long with a mouse that could effectively only point and click, with limited scrolling. Oh well. Really like the Magic Mouse, particularly because it didn't cost me a penny.;)

Reactions: SigEp265

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
This was my favorite mouse ever, I think I had it for about 8 years or so. Sadly my original one quit working, and the used one I bought off eBay only lasted a couple months before it quit.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-IntelliMouse-Explorer-Bluetooth/dp/B00007DSWC

I still have this wired version that I use all day long at work. It's probably 10 years old or more by now.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-IntelliMouse-Explorer-Mouse-Silver/dp/B005UOGH2G

While I was googling this I saw a report that Microsoft is has released a new version of it. I might have to pick up a couple, though I wish they would make another bluetooth version.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
We have a new unused intelli-mouse at work.
It the one that click wheel rocks left/right, dont think it the explorer model

Still in cellophane bag.
been on our shelf for god knows how long!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I voted 2 years or less because of the issues with some Logitech mice having the left click die prematurely (often starting as a single click resulting in a double click)...this was especially pronounced on certain AnywhereMX and PerformanceMX models. However, it seems Logitech did/does use different vendors for this product because A) some models feel different from others, and B) some individual specimens have incredible service lives while others do not, and a pattern of short-short or long-long has emerged. Consequently, I think we have to assume the worst and hope for the best. (As older Logitech hardware tended to be almost unreasonably durable, I find this more frustrating because I know the company is more than capable of building stupidly robust products.)

(sidenote-Logitech software support for Mac is so terrible that IMO if you are considering one of their more advanced mice, it is worth considering a 3rd party controller such as SteerMouse to ensure that when you update macOS that you still have a functional product.)

(Disclosure - I own a lot of Logitech products and after dissatisfaction with the service and increasing dissatisfaction with the products, I shifted away to other brands, and eventually shifted from wired to wireless. For a while I was using several Corsair products, a few wireless/BT Microsoft products, a wireless/BT Razer product, and several less-known brands. I am currently using a SteelSeries Rival 700. So I am biased against Logitech. For that matter, I am also biased against wireless mice.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I voted 2 years or less because of the issues with some Logitech mice having the left click die prematurely (often starting as a single click resulting in a double click)...this was especially pronounced on certain AnywhereMX and PerformanceMX models. However, it seems Logitech did/does use different vendors for this product because A) some models feel different from others, and B) some individual specimens have incredible service lives while others do not, and a pattern of short-short or long-long has emerged. Consequently, I think we have to assume the worst and hope for the best. (As older Logitech hardware tended to be almost unreasonably durable, I find this more frustrating because I know the company is more than capable of building stupidly robust products.)

(sidenote-Logitech software support for Mac is so terrible that IMO if you are considering one of their more advanced mice, it is worth considering a 3rd party controller such as SteerMouse to ensure that when you update macOS that you still have a functional product.)

(Disclosure - I own a lot of Logitech products and after dissatisfaction with the service and increasing dissatisfaction with the products, I shifted away to other brands, and eventually shifted from wired to wireless. For a while I was using several Corsair products, a few wireless/BT Microsoft products, a wireless/BT Razer product, and several less-known brands. I am currently using a SteelSeries Rival 700. So I am biased against Logitech. For that matter, I am also biased against wireless mice.)

The two Logitech Anywhere MX mice I own are slightly different. The original one and the one with plastic on the top surface. One of them seems to have this left click die issue and the other have the keep scrolling to the top of the webpage issue.

Have they fixed the problems on the Anywhere MX 2 and MX2s? MX 2 is on sale at a local store. About $15 less than the 2s.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I have a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 that I use daily at work (it's my primary pointing device). That thing goes in a mesh pocket on the outside of my bag every night and goes in there when I travel also. Last time I bought one (and I bought 2 with one still in the package at home) was in 2011. This thing has held up VERY well, IMO.
LOL, It's no longer available and Amazon has a used one for $117...

Microsoft makes excellent keyboards and mice. If you gave me the choice of anything Logitech makes or paying twice the asking price for Microsoft's keyboards/mice I would choose the MS route.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Microsoft makes excellent keyboards and mice. If you gave me the choice of anything Logitech makes or paying twice the asking price for Microsoft's keyboards/mice I would choose the MS route.

How is the Ms Sculpt compared with the Surface Ergonomic keyboards?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'd laugh at those who reckon 11 years a life time for a mouse..

Most of us don't even have machines that old..

Your tempter will run out sooner than that as you'll be cheesed of with replacing batteries.

Dell are ok,,, we have wireless keyboard and mouse on PC, but i won't say how many batteries we have bought. even rechargeable's have a limited number of chargers.

Reactions: elf69

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan

I tend to use both Microsoft and logicool/Logitech, they are both pretty good.
Although I have to agree, Microsoft makes some top notch accessories and I would choose them over just about any other manufacturer. Usually worth the premium (if there is one.)

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I have one that's been used since like 2006 and works like the first day. These things should last decades. Can't say the same about keyboards, though.

maestrosteve

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
Toms River, NJ
I am enjoying reading this thread. I have wired mice (and keyboards) on all my Macs, never used a wireless one, but lately have been considering buying one. Anything I read on the subject is an education.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I think one of the reasons mice are lasting so long now is the lack of the moving parts. Sure, you have the scroll wheel and the buttons, but that ball in the bottom used to be the BIGGEST problem. It seemed like the older the mouse got the faster it collected lint like a belly button (navel).

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I think one of the reasons mice are lasting so long now is the lack of the moving parts. Sure, you have the scroll wheel and the buttons, but that ball in the bottom used to be the BIGGEST problem. It seemed like the older the mouse got the faster it collected lint like a belly button (navel).

With the user non-replacement battery in the new mice, will the lifespan be shorter? I wonder if the mechanical parts or the battery will fail first.

To keep the battery lifespan longer, is it better to recharge the mouse before going to sleep each night or just charge it when it completely runs out of battery power?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Tech198 wrote:
"I'd laugh at those who reckon 11 years a life time for a mouse.."

Read my post #7 above, and then start laughing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.