What is the best electronic thing you bought for around $100?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by .JahJahwarrior., Mar 20, 2011.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I have $75 in Best Buy gift cards that I don't know how to spend. My main hobbies right now don't involve anything from Best Buy, but of course they have a ton of stuff I see and go "hmmm, I don't know if I'd love it, but it looks kinda cool!"

I have an iPhone 3gs and a 2007 Macbook. I use and enjoy a really old Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, but saw the Magic Trackpad recently and wondered if that might be a nifty product for home use

I also wondered about Apple TV. I don't even own a TV...my monitor might have some sort of high definition input, but I don't know. My girlfriend has a huge TV with HDMI inputs, though, and I'm trying out a Netflix trial, it seem handy and I might keep it around, so having the ability to watch it on her huge TV would be nice. However, the fact that it won't play .avi's and things which I need VLC for, is a HUGE turnoff, just like the fact that the WD Live tv thing for about the same price, doesn't have wifi built in, is a huge turnoff.

So, what electronic device that cost around $75-$100 do you absolutely love? Headphones? radar detector? el cheapo acoustic guitar? new router?

2. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

- West Wing complete series on eBay (new) for ~ $130
    - remote controlled helicopter model
    - Sony Blu-ray player
    - discounted M-Audio speakers (awesome)
    - Noise cancelling headphones
    - 12 inch Powerbook in good condition
    - Panasonic phone set with 4 handsets.

3. mljones99 macrumors regular

Logitech Harmony One remote control brand new in the box for $109 shipped off eBay

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Get some nice headphones. That is what I would do. Sennheisers are nice.
    Theres not that many good things you can get for $75 at bestbuy. iPods, airport extremes, etc ... all above $75. Unless you want a shuffle to like play music in the shower or something. :)

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm going to have ot get one of those sometime.

A receiver, TV, dvd player, and other thigns drives me insane! So many remotes, haha.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Apple Universal Dock comes to mind, and is almost exactly $75 (depending on local tax, that is).

It's a bit steep if you're just buying one, but I love mine, and if you can get one "free", then it's a worthwhile investment. It'll also last you nearly forever, since anytime you upgrade your iPod/iPhone, you can get an adapter that will work with the dock.

A good set of headphones would be another good suggestion. I have a nice set that are great for listening to music/watching TV/movies without disturbing others. Great investment. :)

7. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Sennheisers are legit. I love mine

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

A tiny piece of aluminum that shuffles 2GB of songs and has the ability to tell you what song and playlist you are listening to, and that can get lost really easy. Did i mention it comes with an Apple logo?

/sarcasm

get yourself some nice headphones!

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

So true. I've got a Harmony 720 and it's easily the best remote system out. 4 remotes down to 1 that turns everything on and off with one. freaking. button. I got mine for $37 on clearance. Talk about a steal.

Sony MDR-7506's (love 'em)
    Airport Express (may as well buy an AppleTV now)
    DirecTV HD DVR HR24 reciever ($99 by talking the rep into it ;))
    Braun self cleaning shaver (forgot model) - been using that for 4 years and it still holds a charge for vacations and works as if it was new.

12. MHardee macrumors newbie

Run and get it... The 650 controls 4 devices (covers 90% of the world) and the last one I bought at Best Buy was ~$79....

13. Ish macrumors 68020

Ish

My HP Reverse Polish Calculator. Makes the usual type seem really clunky!

14. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Here are three...

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones - Around $90 - They were a Stereophile A rated product. They are very different from Senns (I own a pair of HD580s). Much more spacious sound, but lack the bass emphasis of the Senns.

Pure I-20 Dock - $99.95 - A great way to get digital audio output from your iPhone and certain iPods. It also has its own DAC if you want to just plug it into analog inputs of a stereo. It has component outputs, but I find the video a little fuzzy. Could be something to do with my settings and I have not used that feature enough to really mess with the setting very often.

AppleTV - While it is not the best way to stream your own movies in stock form, it is great for your music, Netflix, airplay, etc.. Easily worth the money.

15. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

AppleTV, for the price I think it adds a lot of value. Especially if you live in the Apple Ecosystem (iTunes, etc)

16. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Torn between AppleTV and Logitech Harmony remote (mine is the 670) AppleTV gets used everyday, but the Harmony gets used ALL the time.

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I bought my 17" iMac G4 off eBay for $100, and it's by far one of my favorite electronics I have ever owned.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a radar detector. I also have the speeding tickets to prove that radar detectors are absolutely useless against laser, which more and more departments are using. The only thing radar detectors are becoming good for is letting you know when there's an automatic door (sets off radar) or an airport (sets off laser) nearby.

Agreed. Best $100-ish I've ever spent.

19. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Agreed! Though if I wanted to buy a replacement for my HP-15C, it'd cost a bit more than that now :p

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Doesn't look like a female has posted yet. You'll know when "personal massager" is listed.

21. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

oh good question, here are a few of my faves

- WD Live player
    - good headphones
    - vintage games consoles (like an old megadrive/gameboy and a bunch of carts from ebay)

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I was going to suggest headphones as well. I really enjoy my Shure in-ear headphones. The bottom line set is $100.

23. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I would get either a nice pair of in ear earphones or computer speakers. You might have to stretch to around $120 but you will be happy afterwards.

24. Ish macrumors 68020

Ish

I had the HP-11C but I notice you can still get the HP-35s for around $60. :)

25. Reticent macrumors member