what is the best headphone for $300

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tanhm, Jun 2, 2012.

1. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

Dear guys,

I would like to buy the headphone which is about $300.

I like dance, pop and rap music.

So, would you please to give me some recommendations?

I am thinking about getting Beats by Dr Dre , Studio version

Thanks

2. torana355 macrumors 68020

Beats are way overpriced!!! Try some Audio-Technica, Koss, AKG's or Sennheiser cans.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

4. tanhm thread starter macrumors regular

tanhm

would you guys to let me know exactly models of these brand above in order to comparing with Beast Studio

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Do you want noise canceling? In that case Bose is the way to go. If your after something with a lot of bass then go with the Beats. I personally like the Bose AE-2 (around ear) or OE-2 (on ear) but they are a lower priced product and probably won't have the high levels of boomy bass if that is what you want.

6. kaielement, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

kaielement macrumors 65816

Stay away from the beats. They have horrible durability and even though you might get lots of bass it's at the expense of your highs and mids. Like stated before if you want noise canceling go for the bose. Just be wear that they require a battery and if that battery goes dead you can't use them until you replace it. On another note if you want something with good sound might I subject the Skullcandy Aviator's. I just got a pair a few months back and love them the best pair I have ever owned and I love the life time warranty. Juts a thought.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The Aviators sounds pretty good. I was surprised

Try the Klipsch One headphones.
    VModa Crossfade LP
    AKG K550
    For tried and true 600 series Sennheisers

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Beats are overpriced for what you get. Get something like AudioTechnica ATH-M50 or Shure SRH840 and spend the money you save on a portable amp. The ATH-M50 is probably better for your musical tastes (Shure is more neutral). AudioTechnicas typically sound good with jpop and jpop is pretty much dance/pop/rap.

9. mtreys macrumors member

Agree with Bose. The noise cancelling is absolutely incredible. If you're at home though and don't care about noise cancelling, go with some Shure's.

10. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Stay away from Beats and Bose. Ultrasone might be great for your music tastes, PRO900, HFI-780 or HFI-580 I think.

11. tanhm thread starter macrumors regular

tanhm

which portable amp should I choose, is E6 ok ?

12. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Fiio E6 is a solid budget portable amp. That said though I would buy the headphones first. You may be satisfied with the sound without an amp especially if you get the AudioTechnicas.

13. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Just go for the HD25II-i from Sennheiser. It's made for portability, has great PRaT, and serves well with or without a dedicated amp. You will be into your music before you realize it. :)

14. mattkidd, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

I have a pair of the Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphones, which replaced my Beats by Dr Dre. They are the perfect headphones for listening to real music, as in not the bass heavy trash thats produced these days. Don't get me wrong they're great for listening to this also but you truly see them shine with real music.

Listening to artists such as Coldplay with these headphones is astonishing, you can hear every bit of detail. Would recommend to anyone they also have fantastic build quality which have never been seen in a pair of headphones the perfect accessory for any Apple fan ;)

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Best plan ever

Find some chap wearing these

http://audeze.com/

Mug him and leave $300 in his pocket. Best deal...bar none!

16. ibis99 macrumors regular

Go here. http://www.head-fi.org/ Do some research. For $300 it's worth your time. There are many great phones out there with names you may never have heard of.

You also did not mention what your source is, i.e. iPod, MBP, Stereo. The reason I ask is because you may not need an amp, and with respect to the fellow posters the Fios E6 is subpar at best. If you are going to use an amp than it's best to consider a Line Out Dock which would bypass the headphone out on your iPod which is a large part of the degraded sound coming out of any portable music player

As for Bose, forget it if you want clarity and detail, but if you like the sound of cotton in your ears than the Bose are fine.

If you like accurate, punchy bass in an on ear headphone than consider Grado. If you like smooth mids and pretty accurate warm bass than a Shure phone would work well for you, but you loose the highs which may not matter to you.

It's a project to find what fit's your taste so be patient.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

300 to blow and you're considering beats :confused:. I have the ATH-M50's and they're awesome. If you're young and just want something that looks "cool" get beats, but be forewarned that compared to tons of other headphones at that price, the beats sound like ****!

18. tanhm thread starter macrumors regular

tanhm

not just " cool" , I am looking for the best at $300.

How about BayerDynamic T990 Premium

I am using it with my ipod classic ( lastest version)

19. Destroysall, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Are you planning on using this setup as a portable, or for home use? The Beyerdynamics Premium series is difficult to drive using only an iPod and are not really ideal for portable use since they are open.;

20. John T, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

John T macrumors 68020

John T

In my opinion, if you are looking for the best in sound quality, it's always a good idea to buy from a manufacturer who specialize in field. Sennheiser and BayerDynamic immediately come to mind. Personally, I'm a Sennheiser fan and use the HD 650 which is unfortunately out of your budget. However, the BayerDynamic T990 Premium you refer to has received good reports from members of the Head-Fi Forum who are all extremely knowledgeable where 'phones are concerned. Have a look here and here.

However, we all have personal listening preferences and the best way to really satisfy your requirements is to visit a retailer who sells quality gear and listen for yourself!

21. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

DT990 needs an amp so it is out of your price range. It is in a different category of headphones though than the Beats you were looking at... Anyway of the popular circumaural aka full-size headphones in the $300 range (Senn HD600, AKG K701, Denon D2000, Beyer DT770/880/990, AT A900/AD900 etc) only like 2 doesn't really need an amp (the Denon and ATs). Denon D2000 has been discontinued but if you can find one for around $300 it is your best bet.

22. tanhm thread starter macrumors regular

tanhm

Yes :(
    Thank for you help, I am researching on this
    ;) would u please to let me know which amp do I need to use with Beyer 990 Premium

23. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

At the least a Fiio E9. Better would be something like the Little Dot MK III. Expect to add another $200 to your budget on top of the $300.

24. John T macrumors 68020

John T

In my opinion, some of the information quoted by lixuelai was not strictly correct. Provided you don't want head banging volumes from your 'phones (and if you are primarily interested in quality, you won't!), the nominal impedance of the BeyerDynamic and Sennheiser HD 600 is more than adequate and a separate amplifier is not really necessary. (I've just tried some HD 600's through an iPod and they're fine.)

If you are considering going the headphone amp route, I'm afraid I can't really help you there because I built my own. However, have a look at the Head-Fi forum. You'll get all the info you require on there from people who are pretty authoritative and experienced where headphones are concerned.

In the final analysis, as I said in my earlier post, the best way to decide is to try to audition some yourself.

----------

The Little Dot is a brilliant little amp!