What is the best Saturday Night Live?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by supermac96, Dec 25, 2010.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

So what snl episodes do you like the best? I like the latest jeff bridges one (because of the julian asange part) and the justin timberlake one from 06.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the one that i always remember is the "schweaty balls" one... :D
    freakin' hilarious!

3. JulesNYC macrumors regular

Anything from the 90's SNL cast:
    Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Victoria Jackson, Mike Myers, Kevin Nealon, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, David Spade, Julia Sweeney.

Greatest SNL cast ever!

4. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I agree with the 90s..late 80s early 90s...Its pretty hit or miss now. But, I ADORE Justin Timberlake- that guy is hysterical!

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

There's never been an episode of SNL that's been good from start to finish. Even in the halcyon days of Murray, Belushi, and Akroyd the show never managed to be better than 70% crap and 30% classic skits that people still quote. There were dark days (Randy Quaid and Anthony Michael Hall? Really?) where it was almost 100% horrible and resurgence seasons (Hartman, Nealon, Myers) that matched or even eclipsed the original cast shows.

The show has been on the air since 1975 and has been consistently inconsistent the entire time.

I think Andy Samberg is the anchor and inertia for the current seasons. I think the next few years will prove to be another good generation for the show.

6. hismikeness macrumors regular

No matter the cast, you can never go wrong with the repeat hosts Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin, and Christopher Walken. The Steve Carrell from a few years ago was awesome too.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

My favorite is the Christmas one from...I think 1995? Jim Carrey, Whitney Houston, Penny Marshall, Rosie Odonnell, and a ton of other people were all on there that night and it was amazing. Easily the best SNL ever. (Everyone else I know who remembers it agrees!)

Id love to be able to track that episode down somewhere.

8. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

search 1995 snl on google or something like that and i bet youll find something if you look through all episodes of that year. or search 1995 snl christmas episode, or also there must be a site like there is for basically every tv show where it has all the episodes ever for that show.

9. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Totally agree with you, I also liked one where Palin guested and got completely ripped :p

10. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I live in a van down by the river

Chris Farley was always good especially his routine, " I live in a van down by the river."

11. dXTC, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Agreed, this, +1, QFT, what have you.

I think a better discussion would be in terms of best SNL sketch rather than episode. Whenever I've talked about SNL with my work colleagues, we've always referred to individual sketches or "sketch series" (e.g. Mister Robinson's Neighborhood, Church Chat, Samurai, Celebrity Jeopardy).

EDIT: Oh, wait, I didn't actually name any fave sketches, did I?
    Well, the original cast (Murray/Aykroyd/Belushi) was a little before my time. More of my faves came afterward.
    * James Brown's Celebrity Hot Tub (Murphy)
    * Janet Reno meets Janet Reno (Ferrell and the real Janet Reno)
    * It's A Wonderful Life -- The Alternate Ending (Dana Carvey)
    * National Terrorist Hotline (Robert De Niro in one of the most hilarious SNL intro bits ever)
    * Lazy Sunday aka The Chronic - WHAT - cles of Narnia
    * Just about any Celebrity Jeopardy featuring "Sean Connery" (Darrell Hammond)

I must give props to a very recent SNL Weekend Update sketch featuring "Jimmy McMillan" from the Rent Is Too D*** High Party. This short bit finally gave Kenan Thompson something to be remembered for-- it was absolutely spot-on.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Anal bum cover for $2,000 Alex. :D

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

"I'll have Jap Anus Relations for $800."

"Ursula Andress, Catherine DeNeuve, and Charo twice."
    "That's 'Foreign FLICKS', Mr. Connery, 'FLICKS."

:D

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

One of my favorite sketches was "Point, Counter-Point" with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin. "Jane, you magnificently ignorant slut!"

15. RawBert, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

These are some of my all time favorites:

• Sprockets (Mike Meyers)
    • What Up With That? (Keenan Thomson)
    • Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker (Chris Farley)
    • Bennett Brauer, Comentator (Chris Farley)
    • Dominican Lou (Tracy Morgan)
    • The Joe Pesci Show (Jim Brewer)
    • Fresh-a-Pepper (Dana Carvey/Adam Sandler)
    • Dracula (John Travolta)
    • Rookie Cop - the hose vomit crime scene (early 90’s)

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Going back to the early 80s, I loved Eddie Murphy's Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, especially the one with Mr. T as his landlord. A little later came the Phil Hartman era. I loved Hartman in almost everything. I really liked the "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer" sketches and his Bill Clinton. The one he did in the McDonald's right after Clinton got elected still cracks me up. I never was a huge Adam Sandler fan but I have to admit his Operaman and Cajun Man were pretty funny.

I've also really enjoyed a lot of the commercial parodies through the years. Colon Blow still cracks me up and the Happy Fun Ball commercial will still have me rolling. DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL! I can't remember the product name, but Hartman did a great one that was "Is it a floor cleaner or a desert topping? It's both!"

18. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

That was Shimmer, pitched in the '70s by Dan Akroyd and Gilda Radner.

I did love Hartman as the front man for Colon Blow Cereal though. Also from the '80s was the "Change Bank" which made a profit from making change because they did so much volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Hartman may have done a version of this sketch, but the original was Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd and Gilda Radner.

I'm feeling old now: I still remember the classic years of Belushi, Aykroyd, Gilda, Bill Murray. Yes, they had their clinkers and their stinkers, but they were pioneers. And those were some supremely talented people. How can you not love:
    • Samarai Delicatessen
    • the Julia Child sketch: "I've cut the dickens out of my finger!"
    • Baba Wawa
    • The Lifer Follies' audition for "Gigi"
    • Mr. Mike and Tina Turner (Garrett Morris)
    • The Pepsi Syndrome
    • The Coneheads
    These and many many more!

Now, it's been a long time since I could stomach SNL -- most of the stuff from the mid-90s seemed so sophomoric and overly loud -- but I caught a few episodes of last season and was pleasantly surprised. Keenan Thompson is easily the best one of the cast. "What Up Wi' Dat!"

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, I don't know why I thought Hartman did it. I remember that Change Bank ad, though. I also remember one from a trapdoor company that was pretty funny. One sketch I just thought about was one Murphy did where he went "undercover" as a white guy. That one was pretty funny as well.

21. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Fire Bad! Fiiiire Baaaaaad!!!!
    Hartman's Frankenstein even inspired Camp Chaos's infamous "Napster Bad" parody cartoon.

Yes, these were some gems, in retrospect. "I hear the Pwesident is weewy, weewy warge. Wet's wissen in..." :)

22. daimos macrumors member

cheri oteri and will ferrell as cheerleaders.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I love that Frankenstein. The skits with Frankenstein, Tonto, and Tarzan still crack me up. I still remember one where they did Christmas carols and the "Thanksgiving good, fire bad!" skit.

I also liked Hartman's Frank Sinatra, especially the talk show he did. The Sinead O' Connor episode was great.

24. JulesNYC macrumors regular

The loss of Phil Hartman is underrated in the SNL lexicon.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns