What is the best screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by UVa24, Jun 25, 2010.

1. UVa24 macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on what the best screen protector for the IPhone is? Are they necessary even? Do they cause any damage to the screen itself if removed?

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I like the PowerSupport Antiglare the best.

But the new iPhone 4 version is not out yet.

3. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

4. Wetwipes macrumors member

Another vote here for Power Support - will just be getting some cheap ones to do the job until PS get their act together!

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

What are you looking for in terms of "best"?

Clarity? Scuff protection? Power Support.

Complete protection? Wrapsol.

Depends on what you want. They all have different applications.

6. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

7. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Agreed. I had them on my 3GS. I'm just picking which protection screen/back to pre-order soon. Maybe I'll make a thread about talking about which is better. :D

8. UVa24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm primarily just looking for clarity and good protection. Something that will protect the screen (and maybe the back if I decide to get a bumper instead of a different case) and not change the look of the phone drastically. Oh and of course something that won't fall off every two weeks.

9. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Are you talking about the original Wrapsol or Wrapsol Ultra? Isn't the Ultra supposed to match Power Support in terms of clarity? I just ordered it so I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I thought only the original had the matte look to it. If not, I guess that's ok too because I was having a hard time deciding which I preferred.

10. UVa24 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I got a Clear Coat put on last night and I'm not too happy with it. I guess I'll keep it on to protect my phone until the power support one comes out. I love powersupport, had it on my 3gs.

12. taskmanager macrumors regular

I have the skin protector from xo skins on my iphone 3g, ipad, and now iphone 4. Very good fit. Crystal clear, no orange peel, and a slick feel.

xo skin protectors

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Good, but not as Good as wrapsol.

If you're looking for clarity without the slightly rubbery feel, PowerSupport is the best. Wrapsol Ultra will not change the look of the phone, but it offers much more protection and is still crystal clear.

The difference here is material. Wrapsol Ultra is still crystal clear, but to someone who doesn't want it to look like there's a protector or does not need superior protection, Power Support is a good option. Both are oleophobic, Wrapsol is thicker with more protection, PowerSupport is thinner but offers only scratch/scuff protection. The list goes on... but you just gotta decide what works for you. Some people swear by Power Support. I need protection, period. I buy Wrapsol.

14. iPhoneDoU macrumors newbie

I will likely buy Power Support after I've read some good reviews. Had one on my first iPhone and it was awesome. I suffered through about 24 hours of iFrogz, which made the Retina display grainy enough to resemble my 3G. :eek: At $17.99 for anti-glare, I was pretty bummed.

Today, I found a Casemate 3 pack at my local AT&T store. The holes didn't line up perfectly, but for the time being, I couldn't be happier with the clarity. These were very decent shields for the 3G, so I assume they will straighten out the cutouts.

The Power Support will probably last much longer though, but you'll have to wait for it. The Casemates will show scratches in about 2 months. Better that than the screen, though, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The case mate ones will work in the interim... but honestly, they're simply cheap plastic with adhesive to the back. Power Support would treat you much better. ;)

16. rmchale macrumors regular

Does it cover the front facing camera? Is there one for the back? I couldn't tell from the website.

17. brentsg macrumors 68040

I saw a Ghost Armor kiosk at the local mall today but didn't have my phone handy.

I'm going to have the front/back done by them next week, then add the black bumper.

18. rmchale macrumors regular

Ghost armor protects front and back? Or sides too? Are the side optional? Where did you find it at the mall?

19. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I've got the PowerSupport anti-glare on my 3Gs. I really like the way it feels - it's not sticky/rubbery at all- so your finger feels very little resistance.

I ordered the original Wrapsol skin for my 4- mostly for the back- but figure I'll try out their screen skin before just buying the PS version.

Does the wrapsol screen protector have the same similarly low friction fee to it that the PS anti-glare has?

20. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

How difficult are these dry installs, specifically PowerSupport. I have no problems installing these things wet (ones like Invisible Shield), but I'm having horrible flashbacks of numerous failed installs on PSP screen protectors. :)

Are they pretty easy to reposition if you don't get it quite right the first time?

21. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

The PowerSupport Crystal is really simple to install. Much easier than the wet application. You just can't get any fingerprints on the underside of the film. And make sure you are in a clean dust-free environment.

22. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I actually found a video on YouTube of the 3G install. It didn't look too painful.

Does the PowerSupport film have back protection or no?

23. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

Unfortunately not. That's what is bad about it. You have to buy another skin just for the back. And when skins are running $30+, it gets expensive. I wish PowerSupport would just create a back piece and charge a little more for the 2 pieces of film.

24. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

That does suck. I would prefer an all encompassing solution.

How's the clarity of the Wrapsol original? I hear that it's the best of the wet applications.

My understanding is that the Wrapsol Ultra is also very clear, but I'm afraid that is going to be too thick for my liking.

25. psywzrd macrumors 68030

For anyone that has the Wrapsol Ultra installed on the front, how does it feel? Does your finger slide across it very easily or is there a bit of friction? The best thing about the PS Anti-Glare is that your fingers slide very easily across the screen and don't catch at all (and minimal fingerprints too). There is a noticeable degradation in screen clarity though so I'm looking to avoid that this time around. Problem is I don't want fingerprints either. Crystal-type protectors tend to cause a little more friction (and attract more fingerprints) so I'm wondering if that's the case with the Ultra as well.