What is the cheapest data plan (T-mobile) for the iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vb15, Dec 26, 2009.

1. vb15 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I just UL/JB my girlfriends Iphone 3gs since she is with t-mobile and was wondering what data plan to get? We would prefer the cheapest one that works but was wondering what are the cons with the cheaper plans. Any advice is much appreciated. She currently just have the fave 5 plan on there. Also we are in Florida, US if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance

Also, I did the mms hack and it works however when she sends mms texts to my iphone (att) I do not receive them however everyone else she sends them to, gets them fine. Any advice here?

2. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

25$ plan is the only one, If t-mobile finds your using the 9.99 one then they make you switch.

3. vb15 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that really sucks because her bill is already at 65 a month. What is the best overall plan...I was hoping her bill wouldnt go over 75.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Take a look at this page...there is a plan with 500 minutes with unlimited text and web for $60 per month
    but this is even more plus plan...where you don't have a contract with them and you don't get subsidized phones...

hope this helps...let me know if you have any more questions

5. vb15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot. A couple questions regarding that plan.

- since she already has the iphone, the subsidized phone options doesnt matter right??

- She has a AAA discount for t-mobile, would that work on that plan??

Thanks again for the help. It is much appreciated.

Also if she gets that plan, is there anything else she has to do to activate the edge network?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No they dont.
    Theres many people that use the $5.99 tzones data plan and the $9.99 too.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Not in accordance with the contract they signed.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And how do you know what kind of contract they signed or didnt sign?

9. vb15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok if we can back to my situation. My girlfriend's contract has expired so does that mean anything?? Still looking for the cheapest plan for the iphone on t-mobile. Once again, thanks in advance

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The $25 one is intended for tethering, you can get away with not having that with almost any phone.

IIRC the real plan intended for phones like the iphone is $20 a month, but the $10 plan works, and if you haggle with the reps (BEFORE you sign a contract), you can get it for $5.99.

Beware, once you get in a contract with T-Mobile the CSRs aren't nearly as nice.

11. vb15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so all I do is call and ask for the $10 data plan?? Do I tell them I have a iphone??

Also what are the differences between that data plan and the 25 dollar one? since the iphone only gets Edge on t-mobile, that is all I need right?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stick your sim to a different phone and call them to add data. Don't tell them u have an iPhone. After it's added take out the simcard and place it in your iPhone.

13. kripter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the stupid question, but do you need to have some type of contract with T-Mobile to do this? Or can you use their prepaid plans?

For instance, is there any way to just pay $10 a month for EDGE for an iPhone, and then for voice use the $100 for 1000 minute refills?

Thanks

14. DarkDestiny macrumors newbie

Hello, I would also like to know what the complete plan looks like with the web2go dataplan or the 5.99 plan. That piece of info seems to be lost in the web...

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question, Im not sure how prepaid plans work.
    Maybe call up Tmobile for general questions or hopefully someone here has more info on it.

16. iphone74 macrumors newbie

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT HERE. I AM JUST ABOUT TO UPGRADE MY PLAN AS WELL. I HAVE A data plan for my sidekick and pay extra $20 per phone a month i was able to get e-mail internet an everything else but when i got my iphone i cannot get the internet on it. they mentioned the even more plus plan but it was ridiculus. i first had to pay a $35 per phone fee just to switch to that plan because it is a no contract phone which i found that was crazy. she said i could add what is call a smart ophone data plan which is 29.99 per phone a month which basicall adds $9 per phone since i was already paying $20 per right now. i havnt changed it yet because the lady didnt seem to seem very confident about what she was seeling so i will try again today and see if i get something different. i am also on the fav 5 which they do not have anymore. ill keep you posted. i dont think they have tzone either which i hear works as well.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think sidekick data works for iPhones. And don't let them upsell u an edge data plan for $30 since that's all the iPhone can connect on tmobiles network.
    See if u can add the $9.99 plan instead but don't mention anything about an iPhone or call them while using the iPhone. They can see what phone your using to connect to their network.

18. iphone74 macrumors newbie

WHEN YOU SAY ADD the $9.99 plan what do you mean. i already made the mistake and called while on the phone i told them i had a sidekick and they said know you dont it is reading something else so i was caught. but i can change my chip back to my sidekick and say i didnt like the iphone.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That wont work either.
    You cant use either the sidekick or iphone when you call them.
    Put it on a regural flip phone or some other non-smarthphone type of cell and then call them.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Friend has a 3g w/$10plan, friend with 3g (no data plan), dad 2g no data plan, friend with 3gs $10.

I have the $5.99 plan. Get a cheapo slider phone and get them to add internet t-zones. Some here report they don't have that but it depends on who you talk to. I've been using the $5.99 plan for a 1 1/2 year. Same speeds as any tmobile edge plan.

21. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yup, get a slider internet plan.

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Bumping.

It appears that there's no more T-zones plan for 5.99, but there's a 9.99 data plan for phones like the Motorola Razor. I just got done talking to T-mobile and getting the 9.99 data plan added to my service. I will see if it works on the 3GS.

Do not tell them you have a smartphone cuz they will try and get you the 24.99 plan, which sucks cuz its only EDGE.

23. NilsyNils macrumors newbie

You can use the $10 data plan on an iPhone

My brother signed up for the $10/month data plan and called in from his smartphone to get it. He told them he wanted to use it even though he had a smartphone and they let him.

I then called them from my 2G iPhone and they let me as well. They knew I had an iPhone and suggested a standard data plan. I said I wanted to try this one out instead and they offered to let me try it for a month and then I'd get billed after the first month. It's now active and works great. It's kinda slow but if you just want data access from anywhere for cheap and can handle it being a little slower (comparable to 56K dialup internet), it's great.

Please note that if you get this, you have to go to Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network and under the APN enter internet2.voicestream.com.

Enjoy!

24. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Apologies for the re-bump, but this seems like the most recent thread.

I'm looking to get this plan for an iPhone 3G. What's the cap on the $10 plan? I'll probably use it sparingly, but wanted to know what to expect when talking to customer service.

Also, I have an old motorola flip phone on a t-mobile prepaid account. Would this be appropriate for using to get the $10 plan?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe its 250MB but Im not 100%
    With Edge speeds it will be hard to hit it I believe unless you're on it alot.