What is the current status to get an iPad 2 in stores?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dfnj123, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dfnj123, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

dfnj123 macrumors 6502

I'm on the hunt for a Black 32 GB Wifi iPad 2, and I live driving distance from pretty much any of the retailers selling iPads...

What's my best bet to find one?

2. Built macrumors 68020

Order online.

3. dfnj123, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011

dfnj123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have personal reason's for wanting to pick up an iPad in a store rather than order online...

I actually work parttime at Radioshack right now and we have a few iPad 2s in stock, but not the one I'm looking for... :(

Is stopping by an Apple Store, Best Buy, etc. even worth it?

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Does Radio Shack still force you to buy Apple Care and 1 accessory with any ipad 2?

5. xolan99 macrumors regular

Don't know how it is elsewhere but in NYC every Apple and Best Buy pretty much have just the Verizon models whereas Wifi only or AT&T ones are harder to come by.

6. dfnj123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha... I actually heard of a manager (really old guy, 65+) at a store in my district who had a costumer walk out on them when he forced Apple Care on them... :p

Tbh, Radioshack only pushes the accessories and Apple Care because they do not make much money on the device itself. It's the add ons that bring in the $$$... and then Radioshack creates an incentive for the employees to push them by giving bonus when they sell accessories, protection plans, etc. with the device. If a device is sold without an "add-on" then it reflects badly on the employee who sold the item and the store itself (yeah I know it's pretty messed up).

I think some stores knew that the iPad would be in such high demand that even if they lost a sale from someone who didn't want an accessory or Apple Care, someone else would be back sooner or later who was willing to buy one.

The protocol that the employees are suppose to follow is to push the items on the consumer and if they really aren't interested then ring out the sale without them... but it's really on a store by store basis... like I know if I bought an iPad at my own store there would be no problem if I didn't take Apple Care and an accessory...

But tbh... I'm just happy working at Radioshack is just my summer job and nothing more...

------------------------------

ANYWAY... Anyone know where or how I can get an iPad 2 in stores... like tomorrow? Should I show up to an Apple Store an hour before they open? Are Apple Stores even getting regular shipments?

7. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Save your gas give your nearest stores a ring and go get one if in stock, if lucky they might even hold one for you.

8. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

My local Walmart had a number of iPad 2 units today.

9. dfnj123, Jun 8, 2011

dfnj123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it even worth it to try stopping by an Apple Store about an hour before they open? Are Apple Stores getting daily shipments?

10. iBookG4user, Jun 8, 2011

iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My local Apple Store has been getting shipments every day except for Sunday. I've called up and been told that they get their shipments around midday.

11. dfnj123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot... I'll probably check a few of them out tomorrow

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, there's an app called FindOne that gives you a list of stores that have iPad 2, and which models they have.

13. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

You may have already come across this, but check www.ipad2locator.com for info on Target and Radio Shack availability. Thanks to this site I was able to locate and purchase the model I wanted earlier this week - a black, 64GB, Wi-Fi only iPad 2. They mostly had 3G models but the locator website found quite a few Wi-Fi only models located at Targets in my area.

Also, there's no harm in ordering online while you attempt to find one locally. I had placed an order for the same model through Apple 3 days prior, and the Sales rep I spoke to at Apple was more than happy to cancel my order when I said I had found one locally.

14. CH34P3T macrumors regular

Also try www.ooschecker.com
    It checks inventories of Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Radioshack.

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Target and applemhave them every time I go in, best buy seems out forever. I'm in az.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have seen one or two flavors at Target recently. They're showing up, but it's not like walking in and getting the exact iPod you want. Might be best to call ahead.

17. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

iPad 2 availability is just a joke!
    I live in Oslo, Norway and for 5-6 weeks I have been trying my best to get ahold of a Black 32GB with 3G. In these 5-6 weeks I have visited 10-12 stores several times each, and none of them have a single iPad 2 in storage or any idea when they will be doing so.

3 months since release and still totally unavailable. Really bad business plan! :mad:

18. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

They aren't that hard to find around Atlanta. There is usually at least 1 store within an hour's drive (usually Target) that has a few available.

One of our reps from overseas was in town and decided to buy one while he was here because they are cheaper here.

He wanted the 16GB WIFI, but could only find 32GB WIFI... so he got that instead.

19. Syk macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the links and the app.

I looking for a 16GB Black WifI model if I get one. I'm giving myself to the end of this month to make up my mind on the iPad2 or *gasp* an Android tab. I really want to see the Samsung 8.9 device.

From one of the links above it says BestBusy has the 16GB Black instock here locally and in smaller farming town about an hr away Walmart does.

I'll check again in a few weeks and hope I can still find one but one thing I did notice the majority of the stores had the White model in in different flavors

20. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

Try downloading the "findone" app from the app store to your iPhone. It shows updated stock on Target, BB, Radio shack, and Walmart. I believe it cost .99

I downloaded it last Friday night and found my 16GB black iPad 2 at the Target near my house the next morning.

21. bobright macrumors 601

Come on just phone these places if they got one get your butt there

WOW

22. Mrawr macrumors member

Target stores in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro had the whole variety available earlier this week. I caved and bought a black 16 GB wifi only.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

walked into bestbuy in marlboro and worcester MA,
    at least 25 of various flavors at each store

24. monlli macrumors newbie

monlli

Anyone from Boston? I will be there next week. Coming from Spain, and looking for a Wifi 16GB. What about the stock in Apple Store? Still lines before opening?My hotel is very close to Cambridgeside Galleria. Thanks :)

25. FYDave macrumors member

I picked up a 16gb Wi-fi model for a business account of mine literally six hours or so ago. This was at the Boylston Street store in downtown Boston.