What is the deal with the Smart Cover hype?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Steelers7510, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

So like many of you I have been watching the iPad 2 shipping threads like a hawk the past few days, and i noticed something I find odd. Almost everyone seems to have purchases a smart cover! I personally just bought a dock along with my iPad 2 and will probably not get a smart cover.

Anyway I can't figure out why everyone wants the smart cover so bad! Really when you think about it it is going to provide almost no drop protection. I mean sure it does automatically put the iPad to sleep when you put the cover on but I kind of feel like that is just a novelty at best. Lastly because it is just held on by magnets I can only imagine going to pick the iPad up off a table and only grabbing the cover and not the iPad. What that would leave you with is a smart cover in hand and a broken iPad on the floor if it is a hard surface.

I for one am going to wait until some third party cases come out and save my money.

I am interested to hear what everyones thought's are on this?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

i'm getting one to protect the screen when im out of the house.

I have a cat you see, and they do whatever they want, and sit wherever they want, especially if its on a nice shiny (warm) reflective screen.

I dread to think how easy a cat would scratch the screen.

Thats my reason, but if I didn't have a cat, I think my ipad would be fully naked 24/7

3. brettatk macrumors regular

I'm going to be using the smart cover while the iPad is at my house. I will be getting either a case or sleeve for when I take it somewhere and even then I'll most likely leave the smart cover on if it allows for it. I don't plan carrying it everywhere I go. I have an iPhone I can use for when I'm not at home. If I was planning on taking it everywhere, I might not have gotten the smart cover.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm not getting it for drop protection, I'm not an idiot. I'm getting it because it's basically a very effective portable stand. And it doubles as a screen protector.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Ditto. It's a nice stand and it protects the screen from scratches. I already have a zippered sleeve for on the go.

6. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If your dumb enough to pick it up by just the cover then u deserve a broken iPad.

No where in the smart cover ad does it try to say its a full protection case hence the name "smart cover" if you don't like it done buy no ones trying to trick you into getting it.

I'll admit I got it because it's awesome.

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

To me, drop protection is an issue for phones, not tablets or laptops.

I do have a case that I put my iPad 1 in when I travel, mainly for padding in case something else ends up on top of it inadvertently.

If I was upgrading to an iPad 2, I'd get a Smart Cover. Nice screen protection without ruining the form factor of the device.

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The screen seems to be the least in need of protection IMO. I've gone thru half a dozen iphones and an original ipad with the screen naked and don't have a single scratch or swirl on any of them, the screen really is pretty resilient. On the other hand that aluminum back scratches up if you so much as glance at it. I think I'm going with one of the sleek full cases like the speck or the marware ones, you get some protection all over and still get the folding cover.

As for the hype, Apple knows its market. I'm sure there is a very high companion sale of the cover, people don't want to be bothered ordering a cover online and researching it when there is one right there they can walk out with. I'm sure they sold a ton of the apple cases the first time around, and as useless as the smart cover is I'll bet they sell a ton of them too.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Easy. Its made by Apple.

Have you ever seen someone using the iPad case this design was stolen from? [​IMG]

Yet because its the "official" case then people are so quick to ignore that it's only a cover and that the back is going to get scuffed like mad. Personally, I like the Targus VuScape. Full body protection and also works as a stand.

10. citizenal macrumors regular

I bought one because I don't like using full cases around my ipad. I plan on getting an invisible shield on the back and a smart cover for the screen. For me, it works, and sounds like a good combo.. I think alot of people are concerned about scratching their screen. So they just order a smart cover along w/ their ipad so thy don't have to worry.

11. Steelers7510 thread starter macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I don't think it's a matter of being dumb. I think it's a matter of one finger slipping off the brushed aluminum back of the iPad and then boom your iPad is broken. Obviously I don't have a smart cover to test that theory with but I think it is very plausible.

12. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It's just a matter of what you want.

I don't have (or want kids) and I'm very careful with my gadgets, so I don't want some bulky case that provides true drop protection.

I want something very thin and minimal while using the device, and the Smart Cover is ideal for that and very easy to remove if I just want to use the device naked.

I bought a neoprene laptop sleeve to put it in when throwing it in my bag etc.

Works for me, and there will be plenty of third party cases out there for people who have different needs, are more anal about worrying over scratches to the back etc.

13. Carouser macrumors 65816

Do all the books in your house have the covers torn off because that's how you yank them around?

"Let me consult Audobon's Birds of America, I'll just try to haul the whole thing up by the cover"
    *rrrrip*
    "Oopsy-daisy, I've done it again"

14. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yea I have the same setup I bought a netbook case though to fit better with the smart cover. And now I'm waiting for my gelaskin to ship than I'll be able to safely place it on tables and what not.

And if you are careful at all in the slightest you won't accidentally yank off the smart cover.

15. Steelers7510 thread starter macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

None of the books in my house have covers that are held on with magnets. So no.

16. iHulk1737 macrumors newbie

must be a matter of HYPE and also b/c it's apple's own release, cuz i personally dont get it either :confused: it's not a bad cover, sure, but it doesnt cover both sides, so i am worried i can scratch the other side. i'm personally waiting to get a case that'll cover everything

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

It seems you have missed the point; I assume I was not clear enough.

The smart cover, from what I know, is not designed to carry the weight of the iPad. Similarly, book covers are not designed to carry the weight of the book they contain (if I'm wrong about this, I'd love to hear it). Consequently, if you are able to manipulate books without destroying them, then I'm sure you can also handle caring for the iPad.

I don't lift my laptop by the screen, I don't lift my dog by the tail, and I know which end of a knife to hold. I expect the magnets will do what they are intended to do for people who use them in expected and normal ways. Magnets hold on to things no better nor worse than anything else.

I hope this makes things clearer.

18. Jcoz macrumors 6502

For some reason I pictured Bill the Butcher doing that line, lol.

19. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

The ipad case is for true fanboys. Like me :D:D. I don't care what apple brings out i'm buying it no matter what.

20. marcellus7 macrumors newbie

I got one just to use until i get a third party case. I plan on getting one of these pixelskins

[​IMG]

21. Steelers7510 thread starter macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I didn't mean for it to sound like I would pick up the iPad by the cover only. I meant that it seems like it is possible that when one picks up the iPad the fingers on the bottom of the iPad could slip off and then the only you have a grip on is the cover. Lets face it the brushed aluminum backing of the iPad does not have the most grip in the world. It is hard to explain without actually showing what I mean. Maybe I'll post a video up on YouTube.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Never mind not going to make a video because I don't have a smart cover to demonstrate with. Oh well.

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

That's fair enough, but I think you will have to wait for reviews and experience about this issue rather than speculating. My turn to speculate: I imagine that the magnets hold the cover squarely on the iPad. I bet there is more grip from aluminum back + cover then aluminum back + glass front.

23. marcellus7 macrumors newbie

lol yea, i noticed myself holding my ipad by mostly the smart cover a few days ago, and then i remembered the thread about the guy's 4-year old dropping his iPad by the smartcover. :eek: With it folded back behind the screen its easy to end up just holding the smartcover and not holding the actual iPad

24. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Couldn't you have the exactly same accident without the cover on it though? :confused: The fall will be worse without the cover if anything.

But I also wouldn't get this for the shock protection asmuch as as a neat built-in stand that doesn't add much to the weight or the thickness.

25. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

(*) speck

I actually kinda like this one. I'm almost sure it covers front and back and folds up as a stand, just like the Smart Cover. Not crazy about the colors, but I'm sure they'll come out with others pretty soon.

Attached Files: