What is the fascination with widgets and weather

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BHP41, Mar 21, 2011.

1. BHP41, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

.... a weather widget???? People that love android always seem to bring this up. I get the calendars and messages but weather? Really?? Even if you travel(I do) it just isn't nessesary. I would much rather open a app to check the weather where I'm going then have it constanly trying to update. To those that don't travel, here's a tip. Look up from your phone.

I'm really interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this.

To me it's just a waste of resources on a phone and I'm tired of it being brought up like it's some great feature. It's not. At least to me.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I agree. I think lockinfo with the smaller weather info is much more useful. I can see my email, weather, notifications, and ical all from my lockscreen.

3. 184550 Guest

I also agree. I almost never use the weather app unless someone asks me what the weather is suppose to be for the weekend or similar.

4. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I love lockinfo. Just a quick glance to the lockscreen and see the weather icon and temp. Calendar shows upcoming due dates or appointments. Perfect.

If you need more detailed info, push the screen a couple times and you can see a detailed radar. I don't need to have the weather integrated into my working home screen.

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

There are weather widgets as well that can be integrated into custom lockscreens, and there is a cydia tweak that can add dynamic weather to the stock weather icon...

[​IMG]

6. svenn macrumors 6502

Many people have a fascination with weather. Even the brief info a weather app provides will hold them over until their next weather craving.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, seems like every computer I repair latelly has "The Weather Channel" program installed and set to automaticly start up. People are fascinated with the weather and like to check and look at it thruout the day I guess.
    Wouldnt it kill battery and use up resources thru the day though if every time I look at my phone the widget pulls data to display the current weather info etc....
    Kinda useless IMO, I dont need to be up to date every single second on the weather.

8. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I also have lockinfo and I have it set to update the weather every 4 hours that way in case I respring every morning I get a fairly updated info that seems to be enough for me. I installed HTC HD plug in but found it way too big and now I'm on SD HTC plugin with save space function on :)

9. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

The native weather app is a piece of junk and has never been updated...welcome to 2007 :rolleyes:

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

The only thing I'd like to see is a dynamic icon for the weather app. I wish the icon showed the current temp - like the calendar app shows the day. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. A weather widget? Meh. Good for people with OCD, I guess...

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

There is an app in cydia that does just that.

12. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I am not in favour for a huge weather widget on your home screen either. Instead I have just a simple weather icon which fits the purpose.

However I do have the HTC weather plugin on my lock screen :)

Also when I lived in the UK and did not give a dam about what temperature it was but when I moved to Finland it became an issue. Knowing how cold it is here is important, everyone has outdoor thermometers and a quick look at my lock screen gives me this information.

Attached Files:

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have a weather widget.
    It's called a front door.

14. rikbrown macrumors regular

Didn't realise you could see into the future.

15. Grimes macrumors regular

+1 All I need to know about is now... Weather changes too fast for me to worry about tomorrow.

16. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Quite the talent for you to be able to predict the weather just by looking at your front door.

17. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Not so much a weather widget, but widgets for everything is what I'm after. Much faster to access information.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

whats the fascination with worrying about what other people put on their device

19. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Because you must know what's cool and what isn't. Duhh. Lol.

20. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I think the widget's 'look' appeals to people more than anything. Nobody really needs to know what the weather is every second of every day (just certain times - i.e. leaving home, leaving work etc., even then is a bit much, but I digress) but rather people enjoy looking at the neat sun graphic or rain graphic.

21. snakelda macrumors 6502

Wow lol That would be great!

22. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I do it every day!

:D

23. shelbymayer macrumors regular

It makes looking at the weather easier. Rather then launch an app and wait for it to update I have the weather widget (on my atrix) set to update whenever I unlock the screen...it isn't constantly updating and using resources but does provide me up to the minute accurate information, and more importantly tornado/severe weather warning information (I live in tornado alley..but too far from our tornado siren to hear it...so my phone tells me when I should pay attention)

I really wish IOS would embrace widgets...having both an iphone and now android phone I love them. Sports and news widgets rock because I don't have to launch an app to get information i want to see quickly (EX: sports scores or breaking news) all I have to do is unlock my phone

I know some people won't appreciate or use them but atleast give us the option to use them if we want (without jailbreaking)

24. BHP41 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I can see some of your points in where something like this might be useful. Although i'm sorry to say that your phone will not tell you when a tornado siren is going off in your area, only when there is a watch or warning. When the sirens go off(I use to live in tornado alley) it's already on the ground. It's a last second effort to warn any one near it, that there is imminent danger.

I will say that in this circumstance is where we really see the need for a major iOS notifications update. When it comes to weather that is severe my iPhone will beep and notify me. It puts a badge icon on the weather app(TWC). If I didn't keep that app on my first screen it could easily go unanswered and you may miss that important information. Where on Android it's in the notification bar.

It doesn't show a need for widgets, it shows a need for notification improvement in iOS.

There is a app that allows you(jailbroken) to display info that you want on the lock screen and hide it when you need to with a simple gesture. This should be embraced by Apple in iOS 5.
    Gestures are the key to making lock screen information work, IMO. This is how i see it working. Just my take on the whole subject. If the lock screen worked sorta like Android where you had screens, lets say 5 that you could cycle through with a simple swipe left or right and you could configure these display the information that you choose, for me it would be a calendar on one, and countdown until next meeting on another, my mail, my messages. These act as a revolving door(gotta have Apple style). Giving you the up to date information you desire. When you're on one of these screens, lets say mail, and you would like to answer that email a simple pinch to zoom gesture would take you to the mail app. After you're done a simple 3 finger pinch to zoom gesture would return you to the lock screen. I see this being really beneficial and efficient. There is no need for widgets. The lock screen is where I want my information.

Then there is the point about security. If you have info on your lock screen then how do you protect your info in case of a lost or stollen device. Simple, a gesture that you can set in settings that unlocks your device. I'm not talking about the primitive way Android goes about it but more along the lines or the Dolphin browser for Android that allows you to use the screen and make your own gesture to either page back, page forward, new bookmark, etc. That's a brief summary on the way I would like to see iOS5 handle this.

25. -aggie-, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What's the fascination with.....

writing thread titles that don't describe the subject of the OP, like "Help," etc?
    :D