What is the largest screen you would want on a phone? POLL!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 2, 2010.

?

What is the largest screen size that you want on a phone

1. 3.5 in - iPhone is the ideal size

82 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. 4.0 in - I think a little bigger would be good :)

136 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. 4.3-4.5 in - Like the large wave of phones coming out. looks nice

46 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. 5.0 in - Dell streak has a wonderfully large screen. and still portable!

9 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. >5.0 in - The bigger the better! Heck I'd use my iPad as a phone if I could!

7 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    As cell phones begin getting bigger and bigger again, it begs the question what is too big. I know people have discussed this (tirelessly), but lets get a straw poll going to see what the general consensus is. So what is the largest desirable screen size for YOU (not necessarily the largest you would ever buy). What I mean by that is if 3.5 in (current iphone) is the largest desirable size for me, and the next iPhone became only available in 4.0 in, I would still get it because the other benefits would outweigh the size disadvantage.

But what is the largest you would possibly want your screen size to be on a phone, before it starts becoming too big/cumbersome to not have added benefits.

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

4.0"-4.3"

MUST HAVE IPHONE-4 PIXEL DENSITY. (I ain't going back!!)

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i don't have the biggest hands. holding the phone in a normal fashion, i can reach the top of the screen with my thumb on my iPhone 4 but can barely do so on a Samsung Galaxy S (where i'd actually rather need to do that because of Android's notification bar)
    for people with bigger hands, i'd say 4" (with proper dpi) would be optimal

anything bigger than 4" would be a tablet :/

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I think the current screen size is good and would not like to buy a bigger phone. I think the phone barely fits in my pockets as it is. However, I'd buy a 4" if it came out.

So based on the largest desirable size I voted 3.5".

5. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with the 3.5" screen and the high res display. Anything bigger won't fit in a pocket and will be unwieldy.

Maybe a compromise would be HDMI out similar to the Droid X. However, and this is pure opinion, I buy a phone for a phone. If I wanted a bigger screen to tote around, I'd buy an iPad.

Time will tell though. I've been seeing people use the Dell Streak as a phone, so we will see if bigger is better. IMHO, it isn't.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

4.0 must have retina display or I won't upgrade.

7. doolin.nc macrumors member

8. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

4.0 -4.3 like mentioned in another person's post.
    I'm pretty sure that if Apple were to go and make the iPhone have a bigger screen, they could do it without making the phone alot bigger.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

4" screen would be perfect but I wouldn't complain if it were 4.3".

10. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I recently stated that the 3.5 inch screen was ideal. I stand pat with this.

Now maybe it's because the displays of the bigger phones aren't as nice as the iphone, however they ALL seem to look gaudy and cheap.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Blonde Buddhist

11. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

None of those. 3.7 is the perfect size. (droid incredible)

12. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I would not mind an iPhone screen with 4.0" size. It would make it more enjoyable as an ereader, while still mainting use as good portable.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

iPhone's 3.5" will be like the MacBook's 13". It won't die.

14. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

15. Russiaone macrumors 6502

I've love a 3.7", as well. I think it's time for a slight size upgrade. Would give game devs more room to work with. 'Course, if the next iPhone sees no size upgrade that wont hinder my buying it.:D

16. wreckshop macrumors 6502

Need to get rid of the 3:2 screen ratio first. 4.0" with 3:2 ratio would make the phone wider than an evo or droid x

17. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

What's most important to me is the size of the phone, and I think the size of the iPhone 4 is perfect, so whatever is the biggest size screen that can fit on there. Maybe 3.6-3.7, and maybe widescreen.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Agreed. Something like below.

Attached Files:

19. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Anyone saying 4 inches is too big is a tool. It's half of an inch, it will fit in your pocket.

I voted 4.3 inches. Love those big new phones coming out.

20. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 4" screen. Anything larger than that would increase the overall size of the rest of the iPhone as well.

21. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

My gut vote was 4, but now that I think about it I love it just the way it is.

22. calb macrumors 6502

I like it just the way it is, because I can operate it one-handed with my thumb if I need to. I don't have especially large hands, so any significant increases in size would make it too cumbersome for me to use flexibly.

23. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the droid x and found that its not that much bigger (width wise) then an iPhone, yet I have a gorgeous large screen. That makes a huge difference in watching videos, surfing and of course typing.

25. kasakka macrumors 68000

Ideally they'd keep the size, but figure how to cram the speaker, home button and front camera into a smaller space so the display could be vertically larger. Putting the home button on the side might not be such a bad idea.