Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iangibson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Hardware Overview:

Hey hey, just wondering what is the maxmum and type of RAM I can install in this puppy. I wanna go big, any tips? What brand is the best?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version: 1.27f1
Serial Number: YD84*********
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hardware Overview:
Hey hey, just wondering what is the maxmum and type of RAM I can install in this puppy. I wanna go big, any tips? What brand is the best? ...

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

If you have questions that these sources doesn't cover, you can check to see if it has been answered in another thread by doing a Google search of the forums. I hope this helps!

The new models max out a 6GB.
Try reading the specs from Apple's site:

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 10,638

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
The SR Macbook Pros, like the new ones only officially support up to 4 GB but unofficially they can use 6 GB without problems.

6GB? That seems random... would that be 1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB? Why would 6GB work, but not 8? I'm not questioning whether you're right, just how it works :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
6GB? That seems random... would that be 1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB? Why would 6GB work, but not 8? I'm not questioning whether you're right, just how it works :)

The explanation: Every computer is built to have a certain amount of "address space", usually 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB and so on. That address space is mostly used by RAM, but some space is needed for things like video card and other hardware. So a computer with 8 GB address space _cannot_ use 8 GB of RAM, maybe only 7.5 GB.

Now if your computer has 8 GB address space, which is not enough to use 8 GB of RAM, and you put in 6 GB, then everything is fine. If you put in 8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 GB chips) then depending on precisely how the computer is designed, _one_ of the following three things _must_ happen:

1. The computer only uses the first chip because it cannot use both (4 GB).
2. The computer only uses the first chip and 3.5 GB of the second chip (7.5 GB).
3. The computer uses both chips, but because it cannot handle it, things go wrong (kaboom).

The old MacBooks seem to fit in category (3). The new MacBooks apparently have 16 GB or more address space, so they can handle 8 GB with no problem. If the old MacBooks had been designed a bit more clever, then you could have plugged in 8 GB and used 7.5 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.