What is the most breath taking Bluray?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Nov 27, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Other then Avatar, which I thought was just amazing.

2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Planet Earth was shot in HD and looks amazing on BD

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Life with David as the narrator (not Oprah) is really good.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just got a Bluray player. If I don't buy another movie before hand, I'm going to wait until the extended version of Avatar comes out and rent it, one to compare the amazingness of the picture and secondly to see how good the new footage is.

In a different case, it turned out to be a mistake to buy the extended version of Aliens, another excellent Cameron film. In that case, the extended footage took away from the tight editing of the original. I did not care to see the first family who stumbled across a face hugger nor watch Hudson do a little dance on the drop ship rapping about how he was going to kick zenomorph buttocks.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Transformers movies are pretty damn good if all you care about is special effects, Blu-ray quality, and Megan Fox.

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

7. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is a fantastic looking BD. I imported from Japan, but Disney is releasing it in the US next year. Akira looks incredible too. Seeing 20+ year old animation remastered in HD is a sight to behold. Truly amazing. Another good one is Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. Newer films like Paprika, Tekkonkinkreet, and Sword of the Stranger look fantastic as well.

I am a bit of an animation fan. Not sure if that interests the OP. :p

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I used to work in a hi-end TV showroom, and Planet Earth was always by far the most impressive for me; no artificial lighting, no CGI, just beautifully shot footage of nature, with some really quite spectacular (but conventional) music.

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

My choice right now: Beauty and the Beast Diamond Edition Blu-ray. The resolution of that disc on my 40" Sony KDL-40EX500 is just flat-out eye-popping even sitting 6 feet (182.88 cm) from the TV.

10. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

+1 for that thread as I've run across it previously; also anything that Pixar put's out is a best bet as well. Especially Ratatouille.

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I would imagine films with lots of colour and special effects would work well perhaps.

12. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Planet earth, life (David Attenborough), and band of brothers.

Those are required in any collection.

Edit: band of brothers doesn't exactly fit into what you were asking for, but you should have it anyway :)

13. cube macrumors G5

Ultraviolet looked great on DVD, I wonder if BD takes it even further.

14. Rapmastac1, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

A lot of recent releases are amazing!

Beauty and the Beast
    [​IMG]

Toy Story 3
    [​IMG]

Batman The Dark Knight
    [​IMG]

2012 (don't care what anyone says, I love this movie)
    [​IMG]

Sleeping Beauty (some of the best art design in any movie I've seen)
    [​IMG]

Some of the lower movies are the first three Saw movies and most of the Harry Potter movies. Their quality is great but there is a strong snow or fuzzy feel to the pictures, which happens more in darker movies. You don't really ever see this problem with animated films (unless older hand animation is the technique), or cgi films. That is why I tend to use movies like Toy Story and Kung Fu Panda to show off my collection.

I'm going to be watching "A Christmas Carol" with Jim Carrey tomorrow, I picked it up last week but only had a chance to watch the dvd while on a flight. But I expect its quality to be in the top five of my 80 BD movie collection.

I go to www.hidefdigest.com for all my Bluray reviews, they go in depth with overall quality, and specific aspects of the video quality such as how the codec they used brings out such and such parts while making others a little dull, etc.

15. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Planet Earth FTW. That was one of the first blu-rays that I got and it is amazing. Avatar, Toy Story 3, etc. are definitely great, but animation doesn't show off the full beauty of a blu-ray like the excellent footage in Planet Earth does.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Blu-ray Blade Runner looked really good as well as Toy Story 3. 2012 was pretty good.

17. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

My favorites...The Dark Knight, Into The Wild, Stranger Than Fiction, and Fight Club (yes, even though it wasn't filmed in HD), and Watchmen all look pretty spectacular in Blu Ray

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

thank you for the link it is awesome and confirms my experieinces

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Older movies were filmed on film which is a much higher resolution than Blu-ray. That's why older movies, dating back decades, can be released on Blu-ray and still look great if the studios take the time to do the digital transfer properly.

20. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

Yeah, it's usually hit or miss. For instance, I didn't think The Matrix was that impressive on Blu Ray.