Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
I would like to sell my old and unused iPhone 3G. What do I need to do? It's not active. Can I just wipe it and reload the OS and let it go? Do I need to remove the SIM card?

Need the in's and out's guys, I've never sold a phone before.

Thanks!

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I gave my 3g to my brother, But I was about to sell it. I did the "erase all data and settings", made sure it was on the latest firmware, and removed the sim card. After that you're all set, maybe throw in a charger or the sync cable.

Macman74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
What would be the negative of leaving the SIM in? Could I somehow get billed by AT&T? What is the going rate for a 16gb iPhone 3G?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
What would be the negative of leaving the SIM in? Could I somehow get billed by AT&T? What is the going rate for a 16gb iPhone 3G?

If the Sim is inactive there are no negative effects. If it's active, then you've just given a person a phone with free minutes :)

mz100

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
I have done this a few times so here it goes.

What firmware is it??

If it's firmware can be jailbroken and unlocked DO IT!!

If you use eBay, having an unlocked phone will easily add $50 in value

First thing is Reset all content and settings from iPhone

Then, you can had a custom firmware meaning 4.0 for example, and load up to your phone, and it will be like a brand new phone.

Jailbreak & Unlock and make sure you include that in the ad.

What firmware are you running and where are you selling (eBay, Craigslist) and how much?

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I restored in iTunes and removed the sim card.

Sold it on craigslist this past weekend for $180.

White iPhone 3G 16GB

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
I sold 2 Iphone 3g 8gig one for $150 (new firmware)
the other
Unlocked, Version 3.1, with charger for $180 (broken mute button)

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I don't want to hijack the thread but I am curious what your thoughts are on a related question. Whenever the next iPhone does arrive if I want to try to sell my Verizon iP4 what would my options be? Discuss.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I don't want to hijack the thread but I am curious what your thoughts are on a related question. Whenever the next iPhone does arrive if I want to try to sell my Verizon iP4 what would my options be? Discuss.

There is a separate thread already discussing this.

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
Make sure if you have any games like Tap Tap Revenge, that you get your TTR account removed from that device. Or else it's a pain in the butt.

borekk

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Sorry for being dumb here, but what's the difference between jailbreaking an iPhone and unlocking it? I'd always assumed that jailbreaking was 'unlocking' it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.