Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sd13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I leave it on sdr because most of the stuff I watch is sdr and if I set it to hdr, sdr content looks terrible. I wish it would just auto switch. Also, which is the preferred setting for hdr movies? Dolby vision 30fps or regular hdr 60fps? Again I wish it would detect between the two formats. Kinda annoyed by this having to switch all the time depending on the source.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I leave it on sdr because most of the stuff I watch is sdr and if I set it to hdr, sdr content looks terrible. I wish it would just auto switch. Also, which is the preferred setting for hdr movies? Dolby vision 30fps or regular hdr 60fps? Again I wish it would detect between the two formats. Kinda annoyed by this having to switch all the time depending on the source.

Might just want to wait for 11.2 to drop : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/tvos-11-2-beta.2082169/

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I have bought it, and I'm running 11.2 in developer beta with my C6 OLED...It works perfectly on 4K HDR 60Hz with native HDR and Framerate switching switched on..

Same here. Absolutely fabulous. The best ATV or box that i've ever bought. Totally replaced my new 4K BluRay player which was bought for the occasional DVD box set / BluRay film that isn't available on iTunes.
ATV is used 99.9% of the time. Perfect in every way for me now that auto frame rate is here. Just amazing.

sd13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I have bought it, and I'm running 11.2 in developer beta with my C6 OLED...It works perfectly on 4K HDR 60Hz with native HDR and Framerate switching switched on..

On the beta, does it auto switch to dolby vision 30hz with your c6 when watching dolby content and switch back to 4k HDR 60hz when watching HDR10 content? What setting do you have it on by default?

Reactions: MBimmer

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I have an 2016 E6, using the 11.2 public beta

i leave it in 4k SDR
the menus look a little too "crisp" for my taste in HDR modes, plus most of my content is SDR
might loose a little in screen saver, but not a huge loss for me.

it switches up to Dobly or HDR10 when needed. (TV doesn't show incoming frame rate, so not sure about that)

if you're in HDR, it will switch to dolby or standard when playing that.

small annoyance in netflix...
Since i'm in SDR mode, in the description it says "4k" but not dolby/HDR, but it does switch to the correct mode when it plays.
so not a problem when actually watching stuff.

also, the "auto switch" only happens if the app uses apple's player, some apps use a custom player (for example, i think VLC does, but not sure) apple has added the frameworks needed to let them switch, but the apps will have to be updated to take advantage.

Reactions: sd13

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
On the beta, does it auto switch to dolby vision 30hz with your c6 when watching dolby content and switch back to 4k HDR 60hz when watching HDR10 content? What setting do you have it on by default?
Yes it does.

As I said before I have the default on 4K 60Hz HDR for the best menu experience and smooth gaming on the Apple TV. As it auto switches to the rest including DV.

Within Netflix it happily switches between without HDR, HDR and Dolby Vision. Exactly how it’s supposed to be doing it. Same on iTunes.

Yup I’m very happy with it.
[doublepost=1511122464][/doublepost]
I have an 2016 E6, using the 11.2 public beta

i leave it in 4k SDR
the menus look a little too "crisp" for my taste in HDR modes, plus most of my content is SDR
might loose a little in screen saver, but not a huge loss for me.

it switches up to Dobly or HDR10 when needed. (TV doesn't show incoming frame rate, so not sure about that)

if you're in HDR, it will switch to dolby or standard when playing that.

small annoyance in netflix...
Since i'm in SDR mode, in the description it says "4k" but not dolby/HDR, but it does switch to the correct mode when it plays.
so not a problem when actually watching stuff.

also, the "auto switch" only happens if the app uses apple's player, some apps use a custom player (for example, i think VLC does, but not sure) apple has added the frameworks needed to let them switch, but the apps will have to be updated to take advantage.
They may already be but can’t be deployed until this is out of beta.

Reactions: sd13

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
They may already be but can’t be deployed until this is out of beta.

it's pretty easy to sign up for the public betas, no money or developer account needed.

once you've registered, there's an additional toggle on the software update page in the appleTV for betas, just turn it on till 11.2 comes out regular, then turn it off if you want to go back to release software.

it seems pretty stable, and it adds a feature (the auto mode switch) that's made me use the appleTV over the apps on my Television more.

Reactions: ActionableMango

FranknStein7

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, got an LG B6. Leave it on 60hz HDR10. On 11.2 when you play a Dolby Vision title it will switch to Dolby Vision, and then back to 60hz HDR10 when you finish playback. Works flawlessly. 11.2 is in public beta, so you should be able to test it out. We are on the 4th 11.2 beta now, and it's very stable (from my experience anyway). Also, Infuse is adding the HDR/refresh rate switching support to its next version, which is awesome. Best app for playing your own videos IMO.

Reactions: Oledlover

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
it's pretty easy to sign up for the public betas, no money or developer account needed.

once you've registered, there's an additional toggle on the software update page in the appleTV for betas, just turn it on till 11.2 comes out regular, then turn it off if you want to go back to release software.

it seems pretty stable, and it adds a feature (the auto mode switch) that's made me use the appleTV over the apps on my Television more.
I was referring to the beta of the third party Application developers in that context. Not the beta from Apple ;)

Oledlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
I have the same set up.
I’m still using 11.1
The main thing I found, is if you use HDR @ 60Hz, keep Chroma on 4:2:0 (the lg will make it 4:2:2).
Picture settings : HDR standard (closest to rec 2020)
Expert controls - Dynamic Comtrast: off
Super resolution: off
Color Gamut : Normal (this is an auto setting for the 2016 models)
Edge enhancer : off
Colour filter : off
Gamma :2.2

Picture Options:

Noise Reduction: off
MPEG noise reduction: off
Black level : low
Real Cinema: on
TruMotion : off.

Dolby Vision:
Picture Mode: Movie Dark

Dynamic Contrast:eek:ff
Super Resolution: off
Edge Enhancer:eek:ff
Color filter: off

Noise reduction : off
TruMotion: off

Reactions: MBimmer

sd13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Yep, got an LG B6. Leave it on 60hz HDR10. On 11.2 when you play a Dolby Vision title it will switch to Dolby Vision, and then back to 60hz HDR10 when you finish playback. Works flawlessly. 11.2 is in public beta, so you should be able to test it out. We are on the 4th 11.2 beta now, and it's very stable (from my experience anyway). Also, Infuse is adding the HDR/refresh rate switching support to its next version, which is awesome. Best app for playing your own videos IMO.

Does it auto switch to 1080p sdr when watching standard content?

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
I have the same set up.

The main thing I found, is if you use HDR @ 60Hz, keep Chroma on 4:2:0 (the lg will make it 4:2:2).

I am a TV settings novice -- I have not altered the Chroma setting on the ATV and left it when it selected 4:2:2. Should I try the 4:2:0 setting (what does this change do)? My set is the 65B7 if it matters....

Thanks!

afjarboe

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Since we’re talking about 2016 LG OLEDs here, anyone else having issues getting the ATV to turn off your tv? Mine will always turn the tv on, but will only turn the tv off about half of the time.

Oledlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
I am a TV settings novice -- I have not altered the Chroma setting on the ATV and left it when it selected 4:2:2. Should I try the 4:2:0 setting (what does this change do)? My set is the 65B7 if it matters....

Thanks!
My HDR movies were getting lots of banding with the Chroma in 4:2:2 (I have a 18G hdmi cable )
I changed it to 4:2:0 and at 60HZ , the HDR is perfect. I think some “HDR” movies on iTunes are 8Bit not 10bit?

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I know this is somewhat off topic, but how do the owners here like the LG OLED sets?

I am having major buyer's remorse on a new 4K purchase. I had a Sony 52" 1080p set that was flawless. But decided to sell it and get a new 65" 4K. I am now wishing I had just kept my old one!

I started with the Sony 65" 900e model, which is very highly rated. I could not stand the Android system at all (albeit, I generally use an AppleTV so that was not the end of the world). The bigger issue was that there was significant darkening in the corners. I noticed it the very 1st time I turned on the TV, and it was very distracting.

I returned it and went with a Samsung 65" MU9000. I was MUCH happier with the picture, even though nearly every review site says the Sony is better. I felt the Samsung picture was leaps and bounds better, and my wife did too (and she never says anything about tech stuff).

Then last night, I returned home and turned on the Samsung only to see a 6-8" vertical "line of fuzz" down the right side. I removed all inputs, reset the OS, unplugged it overnight, etc. No luck, still there this morning. It will come and go on occasion, but is there about 80% of the time. So back it is going today.

I am now debating on getting the replacement Samsung or moving over to the LG OLED set. If I go with LG, I would downsize to 55" due to cost.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I am now debating on getting the replacement Samsung or moving over to the LG OLED set. If I go with LG, I would downsize to 55" due to cost.
Bear in mind there are some repeating issues reported with LG OLEDs, although almost any tv will have certain quirks, they are just different. Among the worst are vertical blotches/striping that can show up in certain low light or uniformly-lit scenes (apparently this has something to do with how the OLED sheets are laminated and it's not consistent between panels/batches), a defect that causes a permanent vertical line to appear, and a difficulty or inability to get both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision working together from external sources, with sound output through HDMI ARC. And of course image retention/burn-in which is a danger with all OLEDs. LG support is also generally viewed unfavorably if you do have a problem.

That said, most people are very happy with the LG OLEDs and do not have or will not notice these issues. The black levels are unbeatable and the WebOS interface is almost universally praised, as is the included remote (I have a Pioneer Kuro plasma that was a wonderful tv but let down by one of the worst remotes ever). I just ordered a 65" C7P myself, which will be here next week but unfortunately the 4K Apple TV is backordered and won't arrive until January so I'll have to rely on built-in Netflix and Amazon apps for 4K/HDR until then.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I did end up buying the LG 65" C7P model. I ordered the 55" online, and when I arrived to pick up I looked at the 55" vs 65" and could not pull the trigger on the smaller one. The store manager cut $200 off the C7P since they did not have the 65" B7A in stock, so I did it.

Now need to play around with picture settings and will keep an eye on this thread going forward.

siriuset

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Studio City, CA
Since we’re talking about 2016 LG OLEDs here, anyone else having issues getting the ATV to turn off your tv? Mine will always turn the tv on, but will only turn the tv off about half of the time.

I’m having that exact issue. TV remote turns off LG TV when I first set it up but when I come back a couple hours later the TV doesn’t respond to remote commands. Have you heard of any fix to this?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I’m having that exact issue. TV remote turns off LG TV when I first set it up but when I come back a couple hours later the TV doesn’t respond to remote commands. Have you heard of any fix to this?
It is an appleTV problem with the HDMI-CEC. Don't know about LG webOS, but on my Sony AndroidTV I execute the following sequence, that helps:
1) I will let the TV to re-index all HDMI-CEC devices that are connected to it (in external inputs menu)
2) make sure to select the HDMI-CEC device, not just the HDMI input. The distinctive difference is that CEC device is normally indicated also by its type and screen name. Type is Player (can be suffixed with a number as up to 3 players can be connected), screen name is "Apple TV".

PS there is always hope, that Apple sorts this out in next tvOS release.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This might be more of an ATV issue than an LG issue because I have a similar problem on my 2007 Pioneer plasma with 4th gen (1080) ATV. Usually works but sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes it will work 100% for a week or two and then 0% for a week or two and then magically start working again. I have not been able to discern and rhyme or reason to what causes this. I this function operates via HDMI CEC.

IMWhizzle

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015
Guys, which HDR10 mode is best with the LG OLED B6 and the Apple TV 4K? Certain members on here recommend the hdr game setting because of tone mapping or something like that. I now use hdr standard with all enhancements off. I don’t have a dark room. There’s always light in the room, but not overly bright. HDR game seems too dim for my taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.