what is the point of a front facing camera?

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I just don't get it..will you guys really video conference in the middle of a street or at home? I find this appeal to be kind of gimmicky and i'd probably use it once and then get bored of it (like chat roulette). I might totally be wrong but makes we wonder.

Personally, I'd rather have a slimmer and better form factor phone than cramming another camera.

just wondering, of course it's just an opinion lol

Hawke

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
I just don't get it..will you guys really video conference in the middle of a street or at home? I find this appeal to be kind of gimmicky and i'd probably use it once and then get bored of it (like chat roulette). I might totally be wrong but makes we wonder.

Personally, I'd rather have a slimmer and better form factor phone than cramming another camera.

When I was on my Nokia.. I did it a lot especially when chatting with my partner

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
It's for when you're taking a picture of your junk, you can see what it looks like easier...:rolleyes:

My guess is iChat or Skype...

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
It's for when you're taking a picture of your junk, you can see what it looks like easier...:rolleyes:

My guess is iChat or Skype...

sorchard

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
We've had video calling (not sure about conferencing; it might be in the UMTS standard, but if not it wouldn't be too difficult to create a conference bridge if it took off) ever since 3G came into being in the UK, and with that, front-facing cameras.

It was the cash cow the networks hoped to exploit to repay the government for the 3G licences that cost a few billion pounds.

It didn't take off, because video calling (at least outside) is rather naff and gimmicky, and they charged (and still do) 50p/min for the privilege with no inclusion in tariffs or offers. Another factor may be no interoperability with things like Skype - unlike SMS and standard voice calls. Phones still come with front-facing cameras though. They've had far more success with cheap mobile broadband dongles.

I hope that if/when Apple does do this, they aren't considered revolutionary (this happens a lot - Apple copies what has been done for years, Apple is considered forward-thinking and revolutionary). Because they aren't.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Honestly, I'm with you on this. It's a cool feature to have, but I barely use the camera on my iMac and Macbook Pro. I personally think its' a feature people have been whining about and once it's there, many will barely use it after a couple days.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
I hope that if/when Apple does do this, they aren't considered revolutionary (this happens a lot - Apple copies what has been done for years, Apple is considered forward-thinking and revolutionary). Because they aren't.
The reason why Apple gets revolutionary a lot is because they do it better than most people. The iPad is def a new revolution in tablets. It's not the first tablet, but it is the first tablet of its kind that works so well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Usually the way they implement things are revolutionary not that they are the first.
They were not the first with a touchscreen cellphone either, or Copy and paste and many other things but they did them right and easy to use.

drewsof07

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Photo Booth for iPhone! :D

In case you are out without your MacBook and need to snap a picture of yourself with a big chin or pinched head :rolleyes::p

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Honestly, I'm with you on this. It's a cool feature to have, but I barely use the camera on my iMac and Macbook Pro. I personally think its' a feature people have been whining about and once it's there, many will barely use it after a couple days.
+1

There are so many other things that should be done for the iPhone than a FORWARD FACING CAMERA. How about just make the current camera MUCH better with optical zoom along with quality recording?!

I suspect the iChat info found on OS 4 is for the iPad version 2.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana

I'd rather have the slimmer form factor too.

Hawke

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
A lot of people seem to be requesting it.. because a person doesnt like it doesn't mean it should be not included... Cuz frankly if something you (generally speaking) may want was not included, you;d be the one screaming the loudest in this very same forum, regardless how useful or tedious it may be