what is the point of a front facing camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Apr 13, 2010.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I just don't get it..will you guys really video conference in the middle of a street or at home? I find this appeal to be kind of gimmicky and i'd probably use it once and then get bored of it (like chat roulette). I might totally be wrong but makes we wonder.

Personally, I'd rather have a slimmer and better form factor phone than cramming another camera.

just wondering, of course it's just an opinion lol

2. Hawke macrumors regular

When I was on my Nokia.. I did it a lot especially when chatting with my partner

3. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Seriously, who's gonna talk looking into their phone? Especially in public?

4. troop231 macrumors 603

If people use bluetooth headsets (which look retarded) then they will also use front facing cameras.

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Using a bluetooth is the exact opposite of using a front facing camera so I don't get your reasoning here.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

They said the same thing when Dick Tracey talked into his watch...lol:p

8. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It's for when you're taking a picture of your junk, you can see what it looks like easier...:rolleyes:

My guess is iChat or Skype...

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Not really, both ways look goofy to someone else.

10. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It's for when you're taking a picture of your junk, you can see what it looks like easier...:rolleyes:

My guess is iChat or Skype...

11. Pared macrumors 65816

See how ridiculous this sounds? It's the same thing.

12. sorchard macrumors regular

We've had video calling (not sure about conferencing; it might be in the UMTS standard, but if not it wouldn't be too difficult to create a conference bridge if it took off) ever since 3G came into being in the UK, and with that, front-facing cameras.

It was the cash cow the networks hoped to exploit to repay the government for the 3G licences that cost a few billion pounds.

It didn't take off, because video calling (at least outside) is rather naff and gimmicky, and they charged (and still do) 50p/min for the privilege with no inclusion in tariffs or offers. Another factor may be no interoperability with things like Skype - unlike SMS and standard voice calls. Phones still come with front-facing cameras though. They've had far more success with cheap mobile broadband dongles.

I hope that if/when Apple does do this, they aren't considered revolutionary (this happens a lot - Apple copies what has been done for years, Apple is considered forward-thinking and revolutionary). Because they aren't.

13. str1f3 macrumors 68000

14. rtabdo macrumors 6502

Honestly, I'm with you on this. It's a cool feature to have, but I barely use the camera on my iMac and Macbook Pro. I personally think its' a feature people have been whining about and once it's there, many will barely use it after a couple days.

15. rtabdo macrumors 6502

The reason why Apple gets revolutionary a lot is because they do it better than most people. The iPad is def a new revolution in tablets. It's not the first tablet, but it is the first tablet of its kind that works so well.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually the way they implement things are revolutionary not that they are the first.
    They were not the first with a touchscreen cellphone either, or Copy and paste and many other things but they did them right and easy to use.

17. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Then you don't need to waste your money on a mirror app.

18. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Photo Booth for iPhone! :D

In case you are out without your MacBook and need to snap a picture of yourself with a big chin or pinched head :rolleyes::p

19. btcutter macrumors 6502

+1

There are so many other things that should be done for the iPhone than a FORWARD FACING CAMERA. How about just make the current camera MUCH better with optical zoom along with quality recording?!

I suspect the iChat info found on OS 4 is for the iPad version 2.

20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Video iChat. Great way to keep your minutes down if you've got an unlimited data plan.

21. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I'd rather have the slimmer form factor too.

22. Shorties macrumors 6502a

It is so that we can officially call it the future. That is all.

There is no real purpose besides feeling like your in a Sci-Fi movie.

23. Hawke macrumors regular

A lot of people seem to be requesting it.. because a person doesnt like it doesn't mean it should be not included... Cuz frankly if something you (generally speaking) may want was not included, you;d be the one screaming the loudest in this very same forum, regardless how useful or tedious it may be

24. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a