What is the point of the 13" Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeakedDave, Aug 4, 2011.

1. LeakedDave macrumors regular

I don't mean to bash but... Wtf? The 13" pro has a dual core, Intel HD 3000, and no upgradeable SSD and no matte screen.

Why would someone get a 13" Pro instead of an 13" Air or a 15" Pro?

2. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Well, wasn't there once a time before MBAs were THAT awesome?

Ive had a 13mbp for a yr+ with RAM/SSD upgrades and it's the shiz.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think the Air also is a dual core at a lower power, also has the same graphics card, has a non-replaceable SSD (MBP can be replaced, living under a rock?), and also has a glossy screen, just not glass.

4. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you tell him..haha.

Not to mention that some people (like me, call me crazy) simply like the form factor of the MBP better.

5. Appfan42 macrumors newbie

*Edit* - Not trying to dogpile...

The 13" also makes a good business laptop. Small enough for portability, but with a larger hard drive than what's available in the MBA. 128GB gets used up fast if you need to run a windows VM alongside OSX.

6. LeakedDave thread starter macrumors regular

256GB but point taken.

7. LeakedDave thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I assumed. Really just a personal preference form factor thing.

What about resolution? Doesn't the MBA have better resolution than the 13" Pro?

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

All these things may be true, but I've been able to put together some nice video work thanks to this little machine. It's very light, portable and I've run this thing full out for hours at a time - and never one little hi-cup.

I get that there are better options out there. But I've cut up some great stories not to mention I run win7 via a VM and do all the accounting for our non-profit as well. Could it be faster? yes. Could the screen be better? sure. But this machine serves me well.

Here's a look at some of the "pro" work that's come out of this machine (well and my canon t2i as well)

http://vimeo.com/23464436

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I've travelled to many places in the world and you know what, the 13" Pro is the laptop I see the most from Apple amongst business men/women. The size is perfect, the design quality is great, its portable.

10. LeakedDave thread starter macrumors regular

Why wouldn't the Air be more suited for that, though? It has an amazing design quality and its much more portable.

Also for the record I was comparing the new 2011 machines. I'm not saying a 13 Pro "always" seemed pointless but the new 2011 one compared to other 2011 Macs does. Well, not pointless, but... Lack of a better sounding word.

11. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Saw a few posts on this earlier. I have only anelementary understanding of MBAs and their specs..but, people say that they have a higher resolution than MBP screens - thats it, though. That pretty much all other display specs go to MBPs.

12. Gallium Spoon macrumors newbie

Not all of us can afford the 15" Pro and the Air is underpowered for some of our needs.

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I also like the fact that the RAM is upgradeable... a BIG feature missing from the Airs.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Portability can be taken in many different forms. For me, something that is portable would have to be a great size which is the 13", but also has enough bells and whistles for me not to worry about needing something else. For example, if I wanted to transfer something to my external, firewire is better suited for me than USB 2.0. Don't give me crap about Thunderbolt because there isn't much peripherals out there that is worth the cost for using the technology. Also, maybe I need an optical drive somehow? You never know, but I've run into quite a few situations where I needed a CD drive and I am definitely not carrying another item, SuperDrive, with me. Also, many college dorms or places need the Ethernet jack for internet because not all dorm buildings utilize wireless. I find that ethernet does have a more stable connection than wireless too, in my personal experience.

I like the fact that you can upgrade the internals of the MBP too. I currently use an Intel 510 SSD in my MBP. Pricey it is, but the speeds on aftermarket drives are proven to be faster than the ones Apple provides. I believe there are a few threads here that explains that.

Oh, one last thing. What's the point? My money, my choice. Don't like it? Oh well too bad.

15. LeakedDave thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't say I necessarily didn't like it. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

And you have good points. Glad it works out for you!

I've never even used FireWire before honestly.

16. akhbhaat macrumors regular

I'm a developer and a desktop guy at heart. I have a base 13" MBP (2011) with a 120 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM which serves as my portable workstation (for those times when I absolutely can't use my own desktop).

I choose it over the Air because:
    You're kidding, right? 4 GB of RAM? No Ethernet port? ULV processor? I'm just shuddering at the thought of running a major compile on the road and then having to upload it via Wifi. The Air serves a purpose--it just isn't my purpose. I know I'm not alone in this. Oh, and when I was purchasing, the current Sandy Bridge Air consisted of a whole lot of speculation and little else.

I chose it over the 15" Pro because:
    I don't see the sense in spending $2200 on something that's going to sit in a closet most of the time. The 15" model is closer to a desktop alternative (not replacement--no such thing), and I neither need nor want that. And frankly, the 13" model is easier to use while traveling (in flight, at a restaurant, etc).

Side note:
    I don't understand all the whining about the 1280x800 screen resolution--but then, I stare at text all day. Since OS X doesn't scale the interface (and fonts, accordingly), I'm more concerned about physical screen size than resolution. In any event, 113 PPI isn't bad (it's actually still better than most desktop monitors).

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh try FireWire, it's amazing. Best thing on OSX data transfer for now until Thunderbolt becomes mainstream. They have a 500GB G-Drive at Apple for about $130. Price is kind of high for a cost to GB ratio, but the speed is worth it. Think of it like an SSD. Expensive, but worth the speed right?

Sorry for coming off as a douche. It's late and I'm usually against people who question other's purchases, but you just wanted an opinion so I respect that.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Some of us still have jobs that must have ethernet ports.

If apple gets rid of optical drive on Macbook pros, then they are risking themselves on losing some customers. Optical drives are on their way out, but it must not happen anytime so soon. Getting rid of optical drive on Mac Mini was a stupid idea.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If they get rid of the drive and make it lighter, but retain the ports, then I wouldn't mind getting a SuperDrive, but I like the convenience of having the drive there just in case I forget my SuperDrive, you know?

The thickness of the MBP is still somewhat thinner than most 13" out there so they can keep the thickness but decrease the weight.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

There is no way to make it thinner and keep the ethernet ports on macbook pro. Pro is not for light users. Pro is for heavy users including people who do serious work such as graphic design. Some jobs require to have laptop and they can only access internet thru Ethernet port.

Getting rid of optical drive on Mac Mini was the dumbest idea ever. It is too soon.

I can already see apple is going to discontinue 13 inch Mbp for good. They will also release 15 inch and 17 inch air/pro model without optical drive. Good for people who want thin and light laptops, but they will lose me. Optical drive is still important on watching movies and getting some real work done.

I am going to stick with my 2010 Macbook pro.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I meant they could remove the optical drive and decrease the weight. Then, they could add additional ports on that side or just put the SD slot and USB on the other side like the Air.

I don't see Apple removing the optical drive for another few years since the "Pro" versions need an optical drive to retain that name. However, I can see them phasing the 13" MBP out and the new lineup would be like this with only two divisions:

MacBook - current Air models 11"/13"
    Pro - 15"/17" with optical drive

22. mystik610 macrumors regular

What the point of it you ask?

Because there's obviously still a market for it (as evidenced by the people who back the MBP up here).

I went with my brother in law to get about a week ago, and he went for the MBP 13" over the MBA. The optical drive, faster processor, more hard drive space and upgradable RAM were more important to him, as he wanted longevity out of the device. He also felt that the Macbook air was flimsy, that he would break it, and that it was too feminine.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think you are wrong on this ... the SSD on a 13 MBP is user upgradeable where the 13 Air is not

24. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Correct..

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Search is your friend. There are innumerable other threads out there on this exact same question.

In short: The MBP is more powerful, more upgradeable, can do more, has better color accuracy, has ethernet, has an optical drive, and is less expensive. The MBA is for people who want to be seen with their laptop; the MBP is for people who work on their laptop. Oversimplified, but there you go.

And the Air commands a significant price premium for weighing a bit less in exchange for giving up a LOT of capability.