What is the point of the auto brightness?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshwithachance, Nov 26, 2010.

1. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

You still have to adjust the brightness level...

For example, if I have auto brightness set and the display at a lower level indoors, the moment I go outside it's too dim and I have to go in and up the brightness, even with auto brightness on.

Does this aggravate anyone else?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If your phone's auto-brightness isn't working then I'd suggest taking it to the Apple store to have it looked at.

I find it a bit odd that, upon finding that it doesn't work, your first assumption was that it's not supposed to work and that being broken was how they designed it. No, mine works fine. There's something wrong with your phone if auto brightness isn't 'auto.'

(Although, I have to ask...how long are you waiting? It often takes 10 seconds to work. Are you instantly jumping into settings without giving it a chance to change?)

3. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

my auto brightness DOES work, but it works based on the brightness level I have set...

4. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

As far as I know, Auto Brightness only diverges a small amount from where you have the brightness setting set.

So if it's set to low, it'll only go a bit brighter and not all the way.

It does the same with me, as every other iPhone as far as I know.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Exactly, there is nothing wrong with your phone. Auto-brightness only varies backlighting slightly from the set point. Any more variation and it would probably drive you nuts anyway. Crank it up. The battery seems to last forever anyway. :)

6. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

thanks for the replies! thanks for letting me know it's supposed to work that way lol. I guess I just got too used to the way my BlackBerry Torch did it by adjusting to ALL levels of brightness on it's own lol.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I have the brightness on my iPhone 4 set very low (AND I have the auto brightness feature on).

I find that the phone always manages to adjust the brightness to a suitable level.

I'm siding with Poster #2

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Auto brightness works great on my iPhone, but I never notice anything on my iPod touches. I especially like how when I am in a super dark environment, my iPhone will adjust so it won't hurt my eyes.

9. urbanleopard macrumors member

urbanleopard

I'm with the OP. I turned auto-brightness off on day of purchase and never thought about it until I read this thread.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I found that leaving the auto level for brightness at the default settings (on, middle) saves me a little bit of battery. While its not a ton, it still a little bit. And when you're at 20% at night, leaving it at full bright uses it up a bit faster.

11. firewood macrumors 604

Auto-brightness adjusts the level somewhat, which may be just enough for some people some of the time, for the device to be usable, at least for a short period of time, without playing with Settings every time you need to do something.

12. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

My auto brightness seems to work as intended. No real issues on my end. It usuallys seems to go to the perfect amount, except occasionally it will go slightly dimmer than I'd like when I'm in total darkness.

13. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I just leave mine in the middle with auto brightness and it's fine.

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I didn't know there was an option for brightness.

I'm gonna go RTFM. :eek: