Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Excuse me but I have seen a lot of people insulting each other and being aggressive to each other and I wonder what the moderators are actually moderating? This is like reading an script of Game of Thrones.

I made a comment about the Apple Watch and this member called {SNIP} replied to me starting "you seems intelligent enough". Which I replied: That was not polite. And his answer was: deal with it.

I took a look at his other post and he has the same dysfunctional attitude with everyone. Not to mention that it seems he does not have a life because he is constantly replying everyone. And some others like him and no one cares?

If you do not clean up your forum you will end up with a bunch of trash, and you already have. I am new here and the topics are interesting but, I do not know, last time I had that sort of encounter was with a man who has sexual frustrations and had no idea how to treat a woman, they end up all lonely and in the internet all day, a place where they can hide.

Just pointing out in case anybody cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Please hit the report button for issues like this. The moderators don't necessarily see all the posts made, so if you see something you think is inappropriate, hitting the report button is the main way to let them know.

arn

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Please hit the report button for issues like this. The moderators don't necessarily see all the posts made, so if you see something you think is inappropriate, hitting the report button is the main way to let them know.

arn

I have Sr. but I have seen it around it too much, is like the culture in here. I am working with a lot of forums lately and all of them are very pleasant but this one has these arrogance from some members and in my experience is because it has been accepted until some degree. That is the reason of my post.

Reactions: grahamperrin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you feel a post that was reported has not been acted upon, please use the contact us link and the admins will review the moderation and provide a response. Due to our privacy policy the administrators cannot divulge the actions that were taken, but the admins at least can provide feedback if reported post was not considered a rules violation or if it was, that some action within our guidelines were taken.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some sections of the forum tend to have a somewhat more……febrile atmosphere than is to be found elsewhere.

As this is a forum dedicated to discussion of things Apple, and it is possible that some of the younger members might derive a considerable degree of their sense of identity from their ownership of certain specific Apple products, some of the most intense threads - which I almost invariably avoid completely - are to be found in the sections of the forum which deal with certain specific products.

On this topic, the products that I have in mind can be found in some of the iPhone sections, and also include those sections which are concerned with the Apple Watch.

In general, I give those sections a very wide berth indeed.

Much of the rest of the forum is a model of civility and is pretty well moderated, and - in my experience - offensive posts are dealt with, or certainly looked at - if reported

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In general, I give those sections a very wide berth indeed.
That's what I do for the most part, I understand people have strong feelings on a given topic and my disagreement will in no way alter their stance. I can provide my opinion but other then that, I'll try to avoid getting sucked into a debate that seems to inch closer to be more personal.

This is why I choose not to be active in the PRSI forum

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's what I do for the most part, I understand people have strong feelings on a given topic and my disagreement will in no way alter their stance. I can provide my opinion but other then that, I'll try to avoid getting sucked into a debate that seems to inch closer to be more personal.

This is why I choose not to be active in the PRSI forum

Oh, I agree with you to a large extent.

In a way, I can understand that people may have strong feelings on political or religious matters, but the vehemence of the emotions on the iPhone and Apple watch threads and sections has long struck me as both excessive, and slightly, unnervingly, bizarre. To invest such emotion in a telephone, albeit a well designed and desirable one, strikes me as almost ludicrous.

However, I can only offer as an explanation my belief that some people (perhaps, some who may be a bit younger) feel that their iPhones and Apple Watches are an extension of their identity, an expression of their sense of self, and therefore, any possibly negative comment on the device is viewed as an attack on the person owning it, by extension.

Reactions: S.B.G and sartrekid

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I'been a lurker for almost a decade and only signed up recently. The reason for my hesitance were the political debates I had read. The discussions and topics in that section are, by and large, something that makes my stomach turn. I decided to completely ignore that part of the forums for the sake of appreciating the rest of the forums and the community spirit that is mostly wonderful.

The extreme enthusiasm that exists in certain sections regarding particular products isn't something that bothers me, or rather, the passionate discussions revolving around it, as long as it is just that; passionate. I'm very passionate about gadgets, too, and I'm not a teenager. I just really, really love and feel strongly about the gadgets that I own, Apple or otherwise. And it's what makes part of the experience on these forums so great, because, more often than not, people get by being absolutely bonkers (in a good way) about a certain product without resorting to personal attacks.

I think the moderators do a great job of keeping this place in balance. I've been a moderator on one of the biggest dev/design forum for half a decade. It can be very hard to keep a big forum clean, I don't know how the moderators manage to deal with the spamming and promotional crap. I barely see them here. Every other place I've visited doesn't manage that aspect as well, especially on large forums. And the atmosphere is quite good for the most part, too.

I really love this place (minus the political section) and applaud the people responsible for it, so thank you!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'been a lurker for almost a decade and only signed up recently. The reason for my hesitance were the political debates I had read. The discussions and topics in that section are, by and large, something that makes my stomach turn. I decided to completely ignore that part of the forums for the sake of appreciating the rest of the forums and the community spirit that is mostly wonderful.

The extreme enthusiasm that exists in certain sections regarding particular products isn't something that bothers me, or rather, the passionate discussions revolving around it, as long as it is just that; passionate. I'm very passionate about gadgets, too, and I'm not a teenager. I just really, really love and feel strongly about the gadgets that I own, Apple or otherwise. And it's what makes part of the experience on these forums so great, because, more often than not, people get by being absolutely bonkers (in a good way) about a certain product without resorting to personal attacks.

I think the moderators do a great job of keeping this place in balance. I've been a moderator on one of the biggest dev/design forum for half a decade. It can be very hard to keep a big forum clean, I don't know how the moderators manage to deal with the spamming and promotional crap. I barely see them here. Every other place I've visited doesn't manage that aspect as well, especially on large forums. And the atmosphere is quite good for the most part, too.

I really love this place (minus the political section) and applaud the people responsible for it, so thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

A great many of us started out as lurkers - I know I did. Actually, I had bought an Apple MBP as a belated birthday present for myself in 2008, which meant that I had become a 'switcher', and, seeking further information on my new computer, I came here looking for answers to questions I had, liked what I saw, and stayed.

In fairness, not all of the political section is ghastly, just some of it, and I write as someone who used to teach politics at university, someone for whom politics is an endless source of fascination, and someone who yet, ever so vaguely, still works in the field.

However, much of the time, I give that forum a wide berth, too, although I find some of it quite instructive and a fascinating source of examining the spectrum of political opinion in the US.

Nevertheless, in general, the atmosphere on the forum is welcoming, and some of the threads positively glow with good fellowship and friendly relationships.

Reactions: sartrekid

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
If you do not clean up your forum you will end up with a bunch of trash, and you already have. I am new here and the topics are interesting but, I do not know, last time I had that sort of encounter was with a man who has sexual frustrations and had no idea how to treat a woman, they end up all lonely and in the internet all day, a place where they can hide.

Back in the 90's BBS, forums can be pretty useful, people are helpful for some technical questions. newsgroup started to thrive, we got some spam and brash responses. people used to say, first they pointed out your spelling, then your education, then how much you make, then your sexual frustration level.

I've got some of the not so helpful and insulting responses, the type that they would never say in person. For those people, I just counted them as another person with some mental illness, it may be their way to channel frustrations.

the one that I've many on this forum is the type like this: "oh, you're not doing this my way, so you're doing it wrong". this can be applied to storage usage, cloud services, etc. it does get old after some time.
this seems like a universal thing among internet boards/forums.

on one thread I saw, the mods did clean up pretty good to get things back on topic. repeat offenders should probably get a ban though, it really makes the site more valuable if they can clean up real good.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Welcome to the forum.

A great many of us started out as lurkers - I know I did. Actually, I had bought an Apple MBP as a belated birthday present for myself in 2008, which meant that I had become a 'switcher', and, seeking further information on my new computer, I came here looking for answers to questions I had, liked what I saw, and stayed.

In fairness, not all of the political section is ghastly, just some of it, and I write as someone who used to teach politics at university, someone for whom politics is an endless source of fascination, and someone who yet, ever so vaguely, still works in the field.

However, much of the time, I give that forum a wide berth, too, although I find some of it quite instructive and a fascinating source of examining the spectrum of political opinion in the US.

Nevertheless, in general, the atmosphere on the forum is welcoming, and some of the threads positively glow with good fellowship and friendly relationships.

Thank you for the welcome!

Yes, I've made the switch at around the same time, just a year earlier.

I'm certain the political section has its good points. I tend to stay away from political forums (for the most part) in general, not pertaining to this particular forum alone.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Welcome to the forum!

If you hang around here long enough you will find that the level of courtesy varies widely between topics. Some parts of the site are so well behaved moderators are nearly superfluous, while in others they are running a constant fire-drill.

Report posts that break the rules, and if someone is persistently bothering you the "ignore" feature is also very effective.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Welcome to the forum!

If you hang around here long enough you will find that the level of courtesy varies widely between topics. Some parts of the site are so well behaved moderators are nearly superfluous, while in others they are running a constant fire-drill.

Report posts that break the rules, and if someone is persistently bothering you the "ignore" feature is also very effective.

Thank you for welcoming me!

These differences in behaviour will likely become more apparent to me when actually diving in.

As for reporting posts, yes, I've already made use of it on one occasion. I'll try to not get too lazy and report something when I feel it's out of line in some form or another.

PS. Just saw your Blackadder avatar! Gosh, you have no idea how big a fan I am of that series. Great to see someone with a similar taste. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Excuse me but I have seen a lot of people insulting each other and being aggressive to each other and I wonder what the moderators are actually moderating? This is like reading an script of Game of Thrones.

I made a comment about the Apple Watch and this member called {SNIP} replied to me starting "you seems intelligent enough". Which I replied: That was not polite. And his answer was: deal with it.

I took a look at his other post and he has the same dysfunctional attitude with everyone. Not to mention that it seems he does not have a life because he is constantly replying everyone. And some others like him and no one cares?

You do realise that people reading your reply might get the idea that the poster you are complaining about has sexual frustration issues? Is that not worse than what he said to you? In my opinion it is.

While you might be upset, putting his name in bold (and if that is his real name...owe dear!!), and making some nasty assumptions..... You should know better if you are in fact a project manager, as people handling skills are a key requirement

It would be good the moderators could delete this thread. If I was the above poster I would be upset to read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AngerDanger

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've reported a few posts for that reason, but I agree the mods here do a decent job with deleting that sort of stuff. Additionally, I recently saw someone post 6 identical threads related to their issue, and the duplicates were cleaned up within 10 minutes.

Reactions: sartrekid

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
You do realise that people reading your reply might get the idea that the poster you are complaining about has sexual frustration issues? Is that not worse than what he said to you? In my opinion it is.

While you might be upset, putting his name in bold (and if that is his real name...owe dear!!), and making some nasty assumptions..... You should know better if you are in fact a project manager, as people handling skills are a key requirement

It would be good the moderators could delete this thread. If I was the above poster I would be upset to read this.

Well, as a project manager when I find some one with a dysfunctional ego that is what I do, I am not his mom, I am not the Pope and people are adults when making comments. He was bulling everybody with no reason and, because I know, is someone who needs to call the attention to prove himself something. I am an amazing person but in my company I am the one who seat down a fire people and you have no clue how right I have been. Bad apples from workers to partners and even investors who are toxic, and as a project manager I show them: you have done this thei this and that and you knew and you have been warned and you continued. And if they get nasty and start to say things about me, I do them the favor to tell them a few truth about themselves so they have something to think about.

Reactions: grahamperrin

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well, as a project manager when I find some one with a dysfunctional ego that is what I do, I am not his mom, I am not the Pope and people are adults when making comments. He was bulling everybody with no reason and, because I know, is someone who needs to call the attention to prove himself something. I am an amazing person but in my company I am the one who seat down a fire people and you have no clue how right I have been. Bad apples from workers to partners and even investors who are toxic, and as a project manager I show them: you have done this thei this and that and you knew and you have been warned and you continued. And if they get nasty and start to say things about me, I do them the favor to tell them a few truth about themselves so they have something to think about.

This is issue,

last time I had that sort of encounter was with a man who has sexual frustrations

As I programme manager, if you said that in the work place I would take to aside and have a serious conversation about the appropriateness of the statement in the work place.

You might want to review your companies HR policy.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

MOD NOTE:
This attitude of responding to a perceived slight in kind is exactly what can get many posters in trouble with the mod staff here. Every poster is responsible for their own posts. By publicly calling attention to such posts and in many ways escalating the level of direct personal attack in your response to someone else's posts you embody and exacerbate the exact problem you appear to be complaining about in this thread.

The rules here are fairly specific in terms of what is allowed and what isn't. If you feel someone isn't polite to you and you respond in kind we need to judge where the line has been crossed. Was it the original post, the response or both? As others have mentioned, because our moderation is private we do not discuss any specific case publicly, but if you want to ask for clarification as to why something specific was not handled in the way you wanted please contact the admins and they will try to explain it to you.

However, we do not generally moderate tone. Strong opinions can often be presented in harsh ways without being direct personal insults. As adults, we should be able to understand that and not immediately lash out in retaliation, or if we do, at least be prepared to deal with the consequences of one's own actions.

It is not our job to protect every individual from reading something they may find offensive, and that is particularly true in the political subforum. This is why that forum is restricted only to those who have become regular users of the forums through their contributions and tenure at the site.

The best course of action when you see a post you don't like, is to report it and walk away. Do not respond publicly, do not comment about it in that thread or any other, relax and let us deal with it.

I am going to edit the username out of the first post in this thread as it is completely irrelevant to a general discussion.

B

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Are you not being just as disparaging and patronising here as the poster you are complaining about.

Reactions: millerj123

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Wouldn't describing yourself as an amazing person on one hand whilst declaring others to have a dysfunctional ego also be a case of 'pot calling the kettle black'...

Reactions: millerj123

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Are you not being just as disparaging and patronising here as the poster you are complaining about.

Wouldn't describing yourself as an amazing person on one hand whilst declaring others to have a dysfunctional ego also be a case of 'pot calling the kettle black'...

Well, sometimes, on these fora (and, I suspect, on a lot of online spaces, where anonymity allows for behaviour which would not be tolerated or acceptable in a face-to-face setting) individuals mix up the messenger and message and confuse the debate with the debater.

This leads to a situation where insult can replace argument; and, sometimes it can lead to a situation where argument is mistaken for insult and robust retaliation offered in kind.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with trying to keep a civil tone, and, if disagreement arises, to take the time to concentrate on responding to the argument rather the person making this argument.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Dude, get a life, this was so last week or so. Are you looking for places to complain about things you have nothing to do about? I am not describing myself as an amazing person, "if you scalate I'll be stepping on you" kind of person maybe.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Dude, get a life, this was so last week or so. Are you looking for places to complain about things you have nothing to do about? I am not describing myself as an amazing person, "if you scalate I'll be stepping on you" kind of person maybe.

Perhaps this was a typo:

…because I know, is someone who needs to call the attention to prove himself something. I am an amazing person but in my company I…

In any case, @MRU's life-having status does not change simply because he posted a comment on a forum like everybody else here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.