What is the reason Apple pushes the upgrade to iOS 7 so much?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Turnpike, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I just read an article on the front page where even to get a recall sleep button fix, Apple has attatched an upgrade to ios7 as a requirement to get the recall issue addressed on a phone.

I'm not complaining, I have one phone with ios7 and now I'm used to it, and by this point have accepted Apple's lack of certain options and just appreciate their overall plan/user experience, as it clearly does work and by far the best out there, and anything with this much hardware and software will occasionally have some issues now and then.

I'm just genuinely curious, what is the reason they want everybody to use IOS7 so badly? I would have bought a 2nd new $950 phone to upgrade my work phone if it could have IOS6, and it's not like IOS7 has ads and IOS6 doesn't, or something like that... I've searched online, but all the results are just about the pros and cons of upgrading, I'm wondering what Apple's motivation to press and push their users is. Like, what is the rush or the benefit of the rush?

If anyone knows, (or maybe it's something simple that I haven't read yet) I'd be interested to know. Not in an Apple-bashing way though, just curious how it fits into the bigger picture. Thanks!

2. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

Supporting 1 version of iOS is easier than supporting 2.

iOS 6 is already 2 versions behind.

3. Shuri macrumors 6502

That's wrong. The page says:

So it seems like they restore the iPhone after the repair. And with such a restore every iPhone gets the new software.

Sure, Apple could activate signing iOS 6 for these people again, so the question is why should they do this?

It's more work for them and additionally they are always telling people how lousy Android's newest OS adoption rates are, compared to iOS. (I don't want to start a discussion here if this is true or wrong or if this does actually mean anything, I'm just stating what they say)

So they don't want to encourage users to do something, that would hurt their marketing.

4. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

But isn't supporting something like iOS6 super easy, since by the time iOS7 comes out, most of the bugs have been worked out of ios6? Plus, by the time people (the majority, not the tech-intense types that would be on a site like this) learn most of the features, and get into the groove of the older OS by trial and error, their world is turned upside down for a new version. Does it really take that much to support an older version that's been worked on and refined over time? (Not asking in a "whydon'tcha" kind of way, just wondering if there could be another reason...)

5. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

iOS 7 is already out. Unless you mean iOS 8?

You have to remember new customers who buy an iPhone 5S/5C will only have iOS7+ and training for the Apple staff is greatly reduced if there is only 1 version to learn.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Apple wanted everyone on the latest os so they can tout the adoption rate.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

The biggest problem with Apple is their forcing people to upgrade by:

- forced upgrades upon any kind of restores or device repairs / exchanges, including, for example, the latest iPhone 5 power button repairs

- Apple's not willing to release for example renewed certificates for Facetime for "old" OS'es.

This is we, power users, are really disgruntled. Some of us don't want to upgrade because:

- we want to keep our jailbreaks (Apple still refuses to include essential features like f.lux-alikes in iOS so JB'ing is essential)

- some of our legacy apps don't work properly on iOS7 (an example from my practice: ooPlayer, the fav radio app of my wife. It doesn't handle recordings under iOS7 properly; this is why I haven't upgraded one of my iPad 2's so that my wife can still listen to stations with unlimited recording capabilities).

- some of essential JB tweaks don't work on iOS7 - for example, Safari full screen tweaks. (Apple refuses to provide us with full screen Safari on iOS7 and none of the previous, iOS6-compliant Safari full screen tweaks work under iOS7.)

- we just prefer the look-and-feel of iOS6

- removed functionality by Apple (see true 60fps recording in the iPhone 4S under iOS5 later removed by Apple to force 4S users to upgrade to a newer iPhone model - thread)

- etc.

Let me point out again that neither Google nor Microsoft (or, for that matter, Jolla / Blackberry) do the same. No forced upgrades there. And some of them have even better and longer OS upgrade support than Apple.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

This is begging the question. Why is a high adoption rate something to tout? An answer to that will be an answer to OP's question methinks.

9. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Usually no optional ones either, ba dum tiss.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Security. There are critical security updates in the latest versions of iOS.

The more people on it, the more people secure, the less there is to be a news store that mass iOS users CC info was stolen via iOS hack, or some such.

11. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Its called progression, operating systems get updated :D

12. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I think the reason to tout a high adoption rate for the latest OS is to say to developers/stock holders that the iPhone/iDevice community is an active user. Someone that stays current and not just using a phone with an old OS...if a user isn't willing to update the OS, why is that user going to want to get the latest updates to Apps or even download new Apps.

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

As has been proven by the JB patch "SSLPatch" by Ryan Petrich, many of those security updates could easily be done fully independent of OS releases.

And the SSL patch is the only security addition in 7.0.6 as opposed to 7.0.4.

----------

... and some models are artificially slowed down so that their owners upgrade to newer models... and existing functionality (see for example the 60p recording on the 4S) removed...

14. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

OHHH!!! You just KNOW I'm going to use THIS on every forum I'm on from now on.... :D

----------

But I'd argue that the LEGIONS of happy ios6 users would be better for the company (customer satisfaction, entrenching their system in our habits (making it harder to leave to another phone maker), and avoiding the backlash everytime a new ios comes out. I'd even pay a subscription to stick with an old ios, if it were an option. So is this "new adaptation rate" number really that valuable? More valuable than all the positives there's be with keeping the older ios an option? I'm sure a considerable number have even left the iPhone to at least try other phones where they wouldn't have even wandered, if they were able to keep with the ios they were most comfortable and at-home with.

Could there be another reason why there's the rush to upgrade every single person, every single chance they get to push for it?

NOT why is/isn't it right/good/beneficial to push an upgrade, just what would the motivation be?

Thanks for the replies so far!

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

For Apple, it seems it is. After all, it was based on the "low" adaption rate of Windows 8 that they bashed it... same stands for Android.

Exactly. By being so hostile towards power users (people that do have their preferences), Apple will only lose them on the long run.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

They know the vast majority of their users won't care or will often stick with them if they do care, and by catering more toward making things simpler for themselves and developers they are keeping a profit stream that much more approachable: they get about 1/3 of all the developer revenue.

17. white4s macrumors 65816

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

...after supporting it for years while 3 new versions of Windows have been released.

19. cynics macrumors G3

Easier for Apple to manage and support.

Generally when I get an update on my iPhone there is also an update for my Mac and even AppleTV that come out the same day.

Maintaining a tight ecosystem between devices that are totally different (iPhone/iPad vs Mac vs AppleTV) would likely get incredibly difficult if too many versions of iOS kept getting signed.

Why update a version of iOS 6 for specific AirPlay support (for example) when you can give the consumer iOS 7 for no additional cost to them that already is updated for such a task?

You don't HAVE to update. Sure you'll be forced to in certain circumstances and that does suck if you have good reason not to update, which btw is generally a JB, not judging lol.

But in the end I feel Apple wants to get everyone on the same version of iOS because its easier (thus cheaper) for them to maintain and support all while maintaining a high customer satisfaction level. I think most of the people that don't like iOS 7 are a very very small percentage that you'll find on forums like this. I don't have a statistic for that but in my real world experience thats the way it seems.

20. tb12 macrumors newbie

They want people to update to iOS 7 so older models such as the iPhone 4 run slower. This essentially forces people to buy the newer phone.

i.e. planned obsolescence

21. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Uhhh, no.

22. DoggyByte macrumors newbie

I can't believe that you guys don't get it! It's all about selling more iDevices! The newest iOS makes the older devices slow and nearly unusable. It's this and jailbreaking. They want to include some of the best tweaks in Cydia in future IOS releases. Long story short, it's all about money and greed!

23. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Yes! That's it! Greed!! World domination!!! The man holding us down!!!!

:D

24. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Oh yeah, BlackBerry OS was great. I got to run 5.0 (came out in 2008) on my Storm2 that I had from Dec 2010-Jan 2013. No support for 6.0, and forget 7.0! Don't ask me why they then skipped from 7 to 10. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 got support for iOS 6 and 7 and will probably run iOS 8 before Apple stops allowing it to be updated.

Apple may cause annoyance for their forced upgrades, but at least they don't put on old OS on a new device and not support updates.

25. cynics macrumors G3

I think that may be more of a side effect because I haven't had a problem with iOS on a 4 and iPad 2 I own. Certainly not as fast as an iPhone 5 but that should go without saying.

However Apple leaves out features in iOS that would require you to upgrade devices to obtain. Apple maps, Siri, AirDrop, 3D flyover, etc etc.

I think it's kind of naive to say "it's all about money and greed". It is a business, good ones typically tend to make money.