What is the reason you get an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gershon, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

My reason was because the iPhone really proved revolutionary to me in the space of then touchscreen phones. :eek: I upgraded from a Sony Ericsson K770i to an 8GB iPhone, before upgrading in 2008 to a black 16GB iPhone 3G. So far, only 1 hairline crack around the headphone jack but it's quite hard to see, so I ignore it. :D I decided to skip the iPhone 3GS as it was not really worth an upgrade (to me personally) with the same design and the much complained build quality problems.

Back to the point, the iPhone to me was eye-catching, had a brilliant OS and served all my basic needs as a student, sometimes even making me leave my MBP behind while just attending lectures with a small but overwhelming device.

What was the reason you got an iPhone? :)

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Really cool device with so many applications and uses. I always wanted one when it was released, but was in the middle of a contract so didn't really want to have to pay off the remainder.

The built-in iPod, Google Maps, YouTube, email, iCal etc etc. So many reasons. But it gets better with each update too.

Not to mention the updated Remote app so I can control my Apple TV from my iPhone.

3. /b/ macrumors member

4. Surklyn macrumors regular

I bought my iPhone because:

1.) I hated carrying my iPod, my phone, and my PDA separately.
    2.) Push E-mail and calendars
    3.) E*Trade
    4.) Amazing productivity Apps
    5.) It's an Apple... can't help it.. they put out a great product.

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I never had an ipod and was tired of trying to do simple things on a basic phone like a Razr, so I got an iphone. I didnt get the 1st gen because I waited on 3G and I was a bit worried whether I would like it or not as I had a dinosaur of a Palm Treo that I hated. Now, I love my iphone and wouldnt give it up. It does everything that I need in a phone, computer and media center all in one....and it does it easy and flawlessly!

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

My contract with Sprint ended two weeks before the 1st generation iPhone came out. When it did come out, someone at my job showed up with it and I liked it so I bought one a week later. Then I bought the 3G and now the 3G S. Then next years and so on.

7. ordan77 macrumors member

I haven't - yet!

Up until I got my first iPod (3G Nano) about a year ago, I'd carefully avoided everything Apple. The Nano surprised me and did everything I needed in an MP3 player, and did it so much better than any of the others I'd had.

Alas, I lost it just before Christmas. As I still had 5 months in-contract, I decided against getting an iPhone straight away, so I got a 2G Touch instead. The OS has hooked me in - especially with 3.0 including CalDAV support. The Touch replaces separate PDA and MP3 Player devices very well (for me at least).

Now that the 3GS is out, I'll be grabbing one shortly. Online apps such as Wikipanion, Beejive, Facebook. Flixster, eBay and AP Mobile are good on the Touch, but being 'always on' will be a big benefit.

Finally, GPS - being able to stop carrying round my TomTom will be a big help (I'm visually impaired, so I use GPS to help me find my way about in unfamiliar places).

So, basically, 4 devices in one (Phone, MP3, PDA, GPS), great OS and some great apps - that's be why I'll be getting a 3GS...

8. applecheese macrumors member

1. didn't like carrying my ipod touch and phone around
    2. internet everywhere
    3. it was really cheap
    :)

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Best phone available in Japan for native English speakers.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

Didn't work for me. A couple of dogs humped my leg, but that was about the extent of it.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

1. I have used PDAs and/or smartphones for over 12 years, and rely on them beyond reason

2. I hate Windows Mobile

3. I love Apple products

4. I was sick and tired of the Palm platform, which hadn't been significantly updated in too many years to remember

5. I loved the UI of the iPhone

6. I was insanely jealous of those who had the 2G, but I knew AT&T's EDGE service wasn't up to snuff in my area

7. I have a pathological need for techy gadgets

8. Apple finally offered a 3G version of the iPhone and opened the App Store, which allowed me reasonable phone service plus the opportunity to get the utility of the apps I'd been using for years on my Palm devices.

9. I love Apple products :eek:

BTW, when I got the 3G last year, I didn't think I was going to stop carrying my iPod, but I realized a few months ago that I was leaving it home more and more, and now that I have 32GB to play with, the iPod is now permanently hooked up to my speakers at home. :)

12. chox99 macrumors regular

13. Balthezor macrumors member

Balthezor

The MacBook Air is the chick magnet. :D

14. Zerase macrumors member

Zerase

15. Narzist macrumors member

Before i bought my iPhone2G, i looked for a phone that supports japanese input and push mail.
    As the iphone manual for 1.1.2 listed japanese IME as a standard feature and yahoo mail was to support push, i decided to buy an iPhone.
    Japanese IME was not supported and Yahoo Push often didn't work properly.
    With Firmware 2.0 both of the features i longed for were finally supported.

16. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Mostly because it is one device that does everything I need. No more carrying a bb, an iPod a personal cell etc....

17. cdesigns macrumors 6502

My reason was, PROGRAMS THAT WORK

I used to be a Sprint customer and I owned ALL Pocket PC phones they carried, last one was the LG diamond , in all of them I had problems with screen resolution of the programs, CPU speed, RAM etc etc. Programs didnt work in some phones, it just sucks.

I bought an ipod touch and I liked how the programs worked and the stability of them, so I decided to buy an iphone 3G since then I have been VERY HAPPY with the phone and all the programs MADE SPECIALLY FOR IT.

Pocket PC programs are made for Windows Mobile, but all the pocket pc have different specs on CPU, RAM, Screen Resolution etc, wich make the programs unstable.

Now with the 3GS I'm more than happy

18. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Reasons for me.

I needed a phone
    I needed access to my email
    I wanted to combine my iPod and Phone

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When I first heard the rumors about it, I thought, "Oh goodie. I won't have to carry both a phone and iPod around." That was my main draw. I never knew how much I would use the Internet features until I actually got one. I mostly use it for Facebook, Twitter, and news Web sites/apps. But the MLB At Bat app is by far the mostest awesomest sports app available and something that EVERY bloody sports league should create.

I could go on for awhile about apps for other sports, but it just makes it so easy to follow the Braves because the app's logo is right there on my home screen. I can get the audio anywhere and see the highlights without sifting through the rest of SportsCenter.

I think MSNBC has started a good idea with its app because it has clips from their top shows, like Meet the Press, Countdown, Hardball, etc. Thankfully it's free, because that doesn't have quite the same value as all that game audio.

20. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Back in 2007 I had a cell phone that I seldom used, so when hearing about the upcoming new iPhone, I said, "well, I hardly even use the cell phone I've got now, why would I want one of THOSE?" Then I watched the keynote speech again and started paying more attention to the features of the new iPhone and said, "ah....." The idea of being able to easily access the internet caught my attention. On Launch Day I was in line for the very first iPhone. It didn't take long for me to realize that this thing was a gem. I used it every day -- it was so much MORE than a basic cell phone and so much more than a PDA.

Accessing the internet and my email were the most important features for me, but I also immediately enjoyed being able to have my music, my contacts and everything with me in one little device. In 2008 I stood in line again for Launch Day to get the 3G. This year, although I didn't stand in line on Launch Day, I did indeed buy the 3G S⃣ and am very happy with it. I use my iPhone for internet access, email, apps and music/videos far more frequently than I do the phone functions.

21. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Easy to use
    Beautiful design
    Combines great Internet with my iPod and a Phone
    Apple is a great company
    It makes completing tasks simple

& more

22. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Because it has the only useable browser of any mobile device.

23. joedirt88 macrumors newbie

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Gotta love how phones have evolved in the past 10 years. Amazing:apple:

24. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I'll give a few reasons and background for people that may be up in the air about buying a 3G (don't buy that) or 3GS over a blackberry or something else.

I have owned normal phones, samsung sync comes to mind. Great regular phone btw. I then owned a samsung blackjack 2, which I ended up hating b/c of the OS. I run only windows PC (that's not the point, so no flaming guys) and I figured windows mobile would be idea, but it ended up being useless. The phone itself is very high in build quality.

I decided to move to apple over blackberry for an HTC fuze for functional, non-superficial reasons.

The blackberry just doesn't handle video how I would like it to due to the screen size and the fuze is actually too small for me, plus after using the iPhone keyboard, I do NOT want a physical keyboard anymore. I also could not use a blackberry for its intended purposes and I do not like the layout of the OS itself and the lack of a touch screen on the Bold (that's the only blackberry I would consider buying).

The iPhone does a few things for me that I really enjoy. The large touch screen is ideal for obvious reasons. Safari handles the web amazingly well, fast and supports real non-mobile sites. While windows mobile has 3rd party programs for internet, I'd rather not deal with the third party support. As well, the way windows mobile handles connecting to wifi is oversimplified and in the end, actually makes it more difficult. I think apple did a great job implimenting wifi in the device.

Other than that, the maps app that the phone comes with, banking, weather, easy to use email, camera, skype, an easy to use real calculator, and a few other apps make the phone ideal for me. Games, ebay,amazon, apps to find restaurants, and IM apps sweeten the deal, especially since everything I use, besides one app, is free.

As well, I like the addiction of a switch to turn off the ringer. I don't see why more phones don't have this physical option.

Using the phone as an iPod also negates the use for two devices and 32 gigs is JUST enough for me right now. I have about 25 gigs of music on the device and converting movies to 480x320 still takes up a good amount of room, so it meets my bare minimum for space w/o having to buy an external memory card for a blackberry.

My only concern is the quality of the phone. All other phones I've owned, a nokia and two samsung models, were build better IMHO. I had no obvious defects on the phone, it looks like the picture. My iPhone bezel is uneven on the top-right face, and the sleep button is not perfectly even on the top either. While I don't notice this since the phone is in a case, it makes me highly doubt the "quality' that Apple is known for. My other phones were mass produced and they were all perfect. I'll have absolutely no issue returning my phone is it starts to crack since Apple should have increased the production quality from the beginning instead of wasting our time with time-consuming switch outs. I'd gladly pay $20 more for a phone with an aluminum back casing.

That said, the lower build quality was not enough to outweigh the benefits and usability of the phone, and that's saying a lot from a guy who will not buy a computer to run OSX. I also didn't feel the "Apple Tax' when I made my purchase since the cost is on par with high end windows mobile and blackberry phones.