Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I was cutting brush with a chain saw and tripped on some of the stubble on the ground. Whacked the running bar across my left arm. This happened in the woods on a Sunday and my buddy had to run me to the nearest hospital for 38 stitches. The local ER, which had experience with this type of stuff, did a fantastic job but my insurance muffed it. I was "out of network" and the office couldn't get anyone on the phone to approve the work. When I got the bill I took it to my HMO and they said I should have driven to one of their hospitals on the pint or so of blood I had left... I wish I had kept the white t-shirt I had on at the time. It looked like I took a shotgun blast in the chest.

And yes, I still own a chain saw. This is the Pacific Northwest. They are like pocket knives up here.

Dale
It was the last of the little trees. No idea what happened but I felt a thump and my leg became very warm.
Thought the motor hit my leg. nope.
Couldn't even start the saw after that. Gave the almost brand new rancher to my neighbor; he juggles chainsaws.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well my latest one is my back. I threw out my back yesterday, I have no idea how. I wasn't lifting anything heavy, there was no moment of sharp pain. Just the lower back getting tight and sore to the point where its quite painful.

PfEMP1

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm another one not helping the female pool....

I managed to split my thumb in two once trying to open the safety tag on a pair of scissors using a knife. Knife hit the bone and still have nerve damage 10 years later. Broken many other bones and split my head open a few times, but those were mostly bicycle related. The knife to open safety packaging is the dumbest move.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

I managed to split my thumb in two once trying to open the safety tag on a pair of scissors using a knife. Knife hit the bone and still have nerve damage 10 years later. Broken many other bones and split my head open a few times, but those were mostly bicycle related. The knife to open safety packaging is the dumbest move.

Security packaging is becoming one of my pet peeves. Every time I go to open a package I place my extremities in severe peril. It really bothers me that I have to go to such an extreme effort to open something I bought to protect the company from someone who stole one. Check out counters should offer to open this stuff.

Fiskers makes a tool to open their scissors packages.

Dale

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

You're definitely not alone on injuries from opening packaging or undoing the ties or clips on things. Just the packaging used to deter thievery (supposedly) and make it possible for couriers to drop-kick stuff for transport is enough to drive anyone mad. As for using a knife, what are we suppposed to do instead, get a blowtorch?

I use an old pair of pinking shears to saw my way into stuff enclosed in brittle plastic with no place to pop it open. I’m still sure I could crunch into a knuckle or thumb. Sometimes the tips of the pinking shears are too big to get into a looped clip, so I then use an old serrated knife. I must try to remember to post back here when I finally unpackage part of me along with whatever infernally wrapped thing I’ve bought.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My two stupidest were both when I was a kid.

It was night, and I wanted to get to the other end of the house. Most of the lights were off, but that didn't stop me from zooming around at full pelt... headlong into a closed door.

Alas, I didn't learn; at one point I also zoomed around outside in the dark at full speed. I tripped over something and planted my head into a table. That was the only time I've ever been in hospital, and I still have the scar.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Assorted Dog Walking Injuries:

1. Ran across a poorly lit city street with my big dog, at night. It felt good, --the speed, the wind in my hair, so I decided to keep running. Tripped over uneven sidewalk paving and went flying through the air and then skidded along for a while, hanging onto my Airedale's leash. (They're quite strong, you know.) --Quite a lot of road rash from that. Knees, thighs, arms, the palms of my hands. Knocked all the breath out of me.
  2. Walked my big dog & my little dog along the street side of a city park, a leash in each hand. My dogs spotted 2 squirrels farther in the park & went a bit nuts. The squirrels ran in opposite directions as the little devils so often do, so one dog went forward & left, the other went forward & right, and they both dragged me into a metal pole with sign which read All Dogs Must Be Kept On Leash - Or Subject to $75 Fine. Fortunately I had my legs braced while yanking back the dogs so I only hit the pole with one foot and broke a toe, instead of an arm or my head. I did not let go the leashes, I did not get ticketed.
  3. Three years later, same park, same pole, same sign, same small dog, new big dog, possibly new squirrels (I didn't get their names), different foot, new broken toe. (In my own defense: If that sign was farther inside the park, yes, I would have dropped the leashes, but it was too close to a busy street.)
  4. Walked along a city sidewalk while holding big dog & little dog's leashes, one in each hand. Big dog goes inexplicably nuts over another dog being walked on the opposite side of the street & lunged. Quite out of character, because Gus is cool. And I was so stupid because his leash was woven between my fingers. A very dumb thing to do and I knew better. Snapped my little finger, a terrible break, which didn't heal correctly. So I have a painful reminder to never wind a leash between the fingers... Duh.

Categorization of injuries is a good idea. Utility knives, streams with large rocks, stairs, injuries requiring stitches, concussions, scaffolding, cardboard, insects, cats, etc.

Reactions: LizKat and mac666er
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.