What is the worst present you got this year?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leareth, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Ok its that time of the year for some folks already.

Opening the gifts- cringing inside, fake smile cracking face, disbelief floating through mind.

What present did you get this year that you could have done without?

I will start with one of mine:

A pair of 'lovely' silver plated cubic zirconia earrings, and I don't even have my ears pierced.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Couldn't this thread have waited 'til at least tomorrow? :confused: Most people don't even open their gifts until Christmas morning...

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Well, not this year, but 2004 will always be remembered as the year of the gold chintz floating chimpanzee-head ornament.

It wasn't small either. The floating chimp head was about the size of a large grapefruit.

Try putting on a smile and giving thanks for that one. It was a heroic effort, tell you what.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

This post is useless without pictures :)

As for me I haven't gotten anything "bad" for a while now really. I don't exchange gifts with too many people, and my Friends always spoil me, and spend too much on me :), and everyone else tends to give cash or gift cards or something.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Us Jews got our presents a couple weeks ago ;)

Anyways, I was happy with everything I got. No complaints here.

6. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

yes it could have , but considering today was the next to last day for office parties - and that is where the really "great" presents occur.
    generally family at least gives you useful presents, co workers tend to buy interesting stuff.

7. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I believe it was discreetly disposed of afterwards or else discreetly left at the gift-givers house (it may still be there). The offending object has since passed into christmas lore.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

I like your choice of word.

In my second grade class xmas party/gift exchange, I got stuck with a set of phillips screwdrivers (no straight-slots!), while all the other kids actually got toys. One of the chaperones said "who the hell gives a second-grader screwdrivers?" Bless her heart. :)

I've nothing to complain about these days, really.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I participate in an activity called geocaching (basically: scavenger hunts in the woods using GPS). Someone put out a special "Christmas cache" in which you were to bring a wrapped gift, hike your way to the container (a large garbage can) and trade the gift you brought with another wrapped gift that was left in the container by a previous finder.

Knowing that some geocachers enjoy hiking at night, I bought a nice 2-million-candlepower rechargeable flashlight, wrapped it up and dropped it in the cache, trading it for another package I picked up at random. I didn't open the package I picked up until I got home.

Inside was a magnetic hide-a-key, four 2" square plastic picture frames, and a transparent acrylic "MOM" photo holder (mom's picture goes inside the "O").

I have half a mind to wrap it all back up, trek back to the cache and fish back my flashlight.

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Screwdrivers, plastic picture frames,... :D:D I can't wait to pick up this thread again after Christmas.

But do remember folks, as a much wiser person than me once said, the greatest gift you can give and receive at Christmas is love. Personally, I think that's bollox. A brand spanking new 24-inch iMac would be a lot more welcome in my heart. :D

Happy Christmas one and all. :)

11. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

Last year I got a game for a PC :)rolleyes:) which was like a nickelodeon art game. I was 13, getting a little too old for that stuff, plus not owning a PC.

12. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

13. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Must've been a good year!

As for me, I got (as a gag gift) a ¡Que Buena! calendar with some of the fugliest Latinas I've ever seen (oh, and some disgusting fudge attached).
    -Chasen

14. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

If I recall, some of his other posts say he dislikes iPod's.:eek:

15. Baron58 macrumors 6502

A breakup from my girlfriend.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I got that last year, friend.

This year I got a bodybag. Third year in a row, I think. Funeral's on Saturday. Happened on my dad's birthday -- and it was one of his best friends.

Hooray for Christmas!

17. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Ouch--Merry Christmas indeed! Sorry to hear that, man. Keep your pecker up

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I am not sure yet but I am going to guess the Gift of having my mom's side of the family over. She doesn't really like my grandfather and hates her brother. Basically he just makes one mistake after another and all he does is complain about how bad his life is. I suppose your life sucks when you knock up a manipulative gold digging whore and then marry her for 2 weeks, then you get divorced and she basically gets everything.

It just leads to my mom getting mad which sucks.

19. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

This year:
    Fired (well, really "let go") from my job.... :mad:

In previous years:
    Last year was a V for Vendetta graphic novel from the girlfriend. I still haven't read it... Don't plan on it.
    Two years before that... A adopt a pet thing from my grandmother. I'm 23, not 3, not 13, 23. It was one of those that barks, growls, etc. that little children like. I opened the box she shipped it in and it barked at me from inside the wrapping paper! I dropped kicked it because it creeped me out. From that point on it wouldn't stop barking, etc. so I had to unwrap it and turn it off. I think my girlfriend and I actually took it to toys for tots later that afternoon.

~Crawn

20. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

That means something very different over here! :eek:

21. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, let see...

I just got a big chocolate bar from a coworker, unfortunately it's "baking chocolate". Guess I'll have to learn to bake.

A Star Wars shower curtain a few years back.

Most of my bad gifts consist of really bad clothes, plaid shirts, shirts with stupid slogans on them, colors I'll never wear (green, red, purple), etc. If I ever decide to be homeless or live in a trailer park I've got the wardrobe.

I'll see what I get tomorrow.

22. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My mother, a real prude who also lived in England for years, used that saying all the time. Does it mean what I think it means? If so, I think it's hilarious that she got that so wrong!

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

That really really sucks!

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Nice to see a fellow Geocacher here at MacRumors! :)

That cache sounds really interesting, despite your bad experience. :eek:
    ...I wish there was a 'Christmas Cache' in my area.