What is this guy talking about?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Davichi, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Davichi macrumors 6502

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Actually the bulk of what he said is fair and true.

3. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    It makes even less sense to promote his video by linking to it here. Just ignore the fandroids and your life will be better. ;)

4. Davichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really. He compares iPad to xoom. Xoom costs 799 dollars and iPad costs 499 dollars to start. It's not even fair to compare the specs in terms of price. He never mentions anything about iPad costs.

Retina display is not realistic on iPad and 1280x800 resolution doesn't make sense on iPad because of the apps.

No this guy is stupid.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

iPad with similar specs to Xoom = $729.

6. iserian, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

iserian macrumors 6502

Yep 729 then add another x dollars if you want to use the HDMI full mirror Stevie showed in the demo.
    His setup does not look android fan boy to me. Perhaps you are showing your fannyboism.

7. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

I agree with the lack of ANY camera being a joke on iPad 1. A FREE cell phone has a camera...500-800 dollar apple ipad should have had two cameras from the start...and more ways to hook in other devices. This is an update, and it includes specs that SHOULD have been in iPad 1.

8. Davichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really... average consumers would not compare specs by specs. They look at the starting price. Does xoom offer basic tablet with just wi-fi at 499 dollars? No.
    Has their Wi-fi alone tablet been announced when it will come out? No.

Not offering a choice is a problem.

I would not buy a tablet that has only 150 apps versus 65000 apps.

With 799 dollars being an only choice, this is not even in same category. With that money, I can get a refurbished MBA.

9. nStyle macrumors 65816

Then again, who wants to use a ****** camera these days that come on a free cell phone (which is as good as the iPad 2 sports)?

Not saying I won't get the iPad 2: I probably will, but a camera is just dumb, i'm sorry.

10. Davichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I am actually going to hold 10 inch tablet to take pictures. Sure, why not.

losers.

11. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Then make your own :apple: video that makes sense :rolleyes:......

12. Davichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to see that it is very difficult for some people to understand that 499 dollars isn't equal to 799 dollars.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

And it's apparently difficult for you to understand that you get significantly less device (in terms of specifications) for that money. Compare apples to apples.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

I agree. Folks need to compare apples to apples. Its 729 vs 799 and in reality when you start adding cables to connect SD cards and HDMI mirroring you are right there.

I am a bit dissapointed with the iPod touch cameras that are in the pad 2... assumed they would be at least as good as the iPhone 4s.

15. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Motorola really missed out when they chose to go cheap with a TN panel, regardless of the improved resolutuion. If it was IPS, I would strongly consider it for $529 or whichever the Sam's Club price will be.

16. Davichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really...

At a price of 799 dollars, I will just get a laptop. Plain and simple. It's obvious that you are making an assumption of me without any information. Just because I don't see the value of xoom at 799 dollars, (and it doesn't) doesn't mean I am not thinking it clearly.

799 dollars is too high. Also, thanks for your comment.

17. Davichi thread starter macrumors 6502

I see.. so, you will hold 10 inch tablet and take pictures. Enjoy.

18. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Made me watch the whole thing - made sense to me. Nothing stupid unless you think he should have just taken a video of 2 price tags and stated they weren't equal. Now THAT would have been stupid :D.

19. iserian macrumors 6502

Can't say that I will enjoy it until later in the week but I am enjoying taking pics and shooting video on my xoom .

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

So you're taking your personal position on the hardware (that the features in question are not something you need) and applying it to as general fact.

I don't think you'd make it too far in forensics.

21. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen any apps like GB and iMovie on the Xoom or other second class tablets. They have to talk about specs because they can't show the apps.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

Just as difficult as it is to understand that $499 iPad should never be compared to XOOM. The better comparison would be to reported WiFi only XOOM ($539). With 2x RAM, SD Card slot, USB port, real cameras etc. I'd say many will consider XOOM a better value.

23. alust2013, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's not. But you're not getting the same thing. Buy what you like and see as worth it. If you're going to compare things, compare similar things. A Xoom similar to the base iPad is similarly priced. I'd say right now the biggest disadvantage of the Xoom is that the only model available is 3G and requires a contract. Not bashing the iPad here, just playing devil's advocate a bit. The iPad is a pretty slick device.

24. al1cre macrumors member

Yeesh. Don't get too comfortable with that opinion. Turn by turn Navigator for Android is much better than the iOS apps of that type. Voice recognition and control is still lame on iOS too. More importantly check out this link:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/profit-shocker-android-brings-home-more-bacon-than-ios-for-pock/

I'm a software developer and I know developers at 6 companies that have iOS apps. Every one of them is working on Android apps too.

As to hardware, with a number of manufacturers wanting to jump on the tablet bandwagon there will be a spec war push. Some people here seem to think that anything that isn't already on the iPad isn't needed, but even with the iPad's success, a lot more people haven't purchased tablets yet and the buying public does look at specs when comparing, even when the specs don't make a difference. I suspect it's some kind of passive competitive thing; they don't want someone else to have a device with better specs than they have. It doesn't have to make sense, it's obvious that's exactly how tech, cars, etc. are marketed.

The iPad hasn't had any competition yet. It's coming. And before people repeat the $700 price point of the Xoom (for instance), Walmart is going to charge $540 for the Xoom, and prices will become even more competitive over time because they have too. The market's too big and it's growing. Tech companies can't ignore it because they need to keep the image of being a cutting edge tech company, so they'll keep pouring money into the market so they can become competitive. Android will grow quickly because it can; the open source community loves that kind of thing. Now they have a new enemy (rather than Microsoft) to set their sights on.

Apple jumped to an early lead because they came out first with a usable tablet and created the market. They did it by leveraging their earlier work and deserve every bit of the success they've had, but I don't think they can continue to stay on top continuing at the glacial rate of improvements they've been moving. For quite a while iPhone users were convinced that iOS would rule the smartphone marketshare for a long time. That time is already past. That's not a statement comparing quality. It's all just business. With market share go the developers.

No, I'm not an pro Android troll or Apple hater. I have a Touch (my second) and an iPad and I'm very happy with them.

25. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Meh. Everyone has their own opinion. While I recognize that Xoom is better spec-wise, but most customers won't care. Like that famous Evo/Iphone 4 video, people would not know what Xoom is, but will know iPad everywhere.

So, while this guy is entitled to his own opinion, and I agree, spec-wise, Xoom wins, but iPad has a lot of things going for it. Developer support, established apps, price point. While I LOVE my HTC Evo, and will not trade it for iPhone 1/3/4/5/120398, I think going with iPad would make more sense for me. I get the best of both worlds. Amazing OS on the phone (designed for the phone) and amazing OS for the tablet. That's just my opinion.