Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
You can get the highres version of these images from the OS:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

iPhone.icns and iPodTouch.icns

Where the iPodTouch is the one with the blueish border.

iPhone
iphoneyn5.png

iPod Touch
ipodtouchyl9.png

;):apple:

brucebrendon

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2007
UK
in regards to the front facing camera (under the glass), don't forget Apple had a patent a few years ago that was a camera made out of many sensors placed between the pixels using software to combine all the images into one large image! How about them Apples!? :apple:

-Steve

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/26/apple-patent-embeds-thousands-of-cameras-among-lcd-pixels/

Posted April 26, 2006
"Apple goes on to suggest portable uses for the technology, such as employing the displays in cellphones and PDAs, so you can add another item to the list of features we'll be expecting from the iPhone and Newton 2.0 when they finally hit stores."

ah, good. could be a nice tie-in with some new pro displays to then (def due).

frijole

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2005
for those of you who can't see the difference, here's an animation.

the icon is spot-on the same as the iPod touch one, with the edge lightened and the buttons added. none of the other iPhone icons are the same as the iPod touch ones.

oops.

Attachments

• iPhone-icon-rumor-2.gif
    iPhone-icon-rumor-2.gif
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,314

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

anyone else notice that the "hold" button is on the wrong side??? Hmmm maybe the new iPhone is....

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

anyone else notice that the "hold" button is on the wrong side??? Hmmm maybe the new iPhone is....

If you notice the the picture of the Griffin molds the mold is shown to have the hold buttons on the other side also.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
the icon is spot-on the same as the iPod touch one, with the edge lightened and the buttons added. none of the other iPhone icons are the same as the iPod touch ones.

oops.

does this show that the ipod touch is also getting an upgrade(volume buttons etc)....i hope im not being a complete idiot for seeing something different.:confused:

EDIT: oooh i forgot, ur ipod touch transition animation shows it having an earpiece at the top...hmmm

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake

Chrisrokc, I do believe your mistaken- the "left original iPhone" depicts the on/off/hold button on the left side of the unit (I even looked at it again. The left picture of the mold is the back side, with the button above the camera- hmm, of we take the case designs as is- its safe to say pretty much same design, subtle differences but not enough to spend a day on. But having touch sensors for volume would be cool- limiting though, accidental volume changes would be out of control.

I'll just stick with my iPhone for now. Who knows. Only a week and a half!!!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I don't think it would be a mistake at all. I've seen video conferencing on cellphones before, and its quite useless. Mobile phones are used primarily in places where you need your eyes to be focused on something other that the screen, while driving, walking or working for example. In any of these situation, it just doesn't make sense. As well, video chat on a phone means that you have to hold the phone out in front of your face to talk. This has several negative effects. It makes you look funny to anyone who sees you. The sound is worse through the speakerphone. The mic will pick up background noise. And if you have to talk for a prolonged amount of time, your arm would get tired. Video chat works great on computers, but there are just too many obstacles for it to work on mobiles.

Well I basically disagree with everything you said.

Here is the thing the iPhone really is a computer. You have seen lots of crappy video chatting on phones, yes, BUT NOT APPLE STYLE! I'm not saying every call iPhone owners made would be iChat video, it wouldn't replace regular calling, it would be an addition to be used when you like just like on your computer.

Guess we'll see who is right in 10 days! ;)

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I highly doubt that icon is the new iphone. Apple wouldn't let that slip through their fingers. It would only be in the SDK if it was restricted to the folks enrolled in the paid developers program, if at all. 98% of Apple Inc. has no idea what the iPhone looks like and there's just no way they would make that slip.

Anyway, I'm in the camp that the new phone is not going to deviate much from the first. The iPhone is an iconic device that is instantly recognized and is very symbolic of the direction Apple is heading in. They aren't going to make dramatic changes yet. Someone used the Nano as an example but I feel that was misguided. It was the 3rd gen, first of all, and the form changed because the device itself was radically changed- video. That was a bigger change to that form-factor than 3G or the rumored upgrades. It went from an audio device to one that played videos, something that simply wouldn't have worked in the original design.

Anything can happen of course, but I agree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it sentiment. Apple sticks with a design most of the time until it has to change it, either from dramatic changes in feature-sets, technology, or market factors. I dont think those requisites are being met and I think they aren't going to deviate much from the present design.

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
The current iPhone looks rounder.
The top speaker looks higher.
Side buttons look a little different to me.
Chrome bezel looks narrower.
AWWWW man! Your right! I hate the chrome border....

Anyways, exciting news, nice find!

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I highly doubt that icon is the new iphone. Apple wouldn't let that slip through their fingers. It would only be in the SDK if it was restricted to the folks enrolled in the paid developers program, if at all. 98% of Apple Inc. has no idea what the iPhone looks like and there's just no way they would make that slip.

Anyway, I'm in the camp that the new phone is not going to deviate much from the first. The iPhone is an iconic device that is instantly recognized and is very symbolic of the direction Apple is heading in. They aren't going to make dramatic changes yet. Someone used the Nano as an example but I feel that was misguided. It was the 3rd gen, first of all, and the form changed because the device itself was radically changed- video. That was a bigger change to that form-factor than 3G or the rumored upgrades. It went from an audio device to one that played videos, something that simply wouldn't have worked in the original design.

Anything can happen of course, but I agree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it sentiment. Apple sticks with a design most of the time until it has to change it, either from dramatic changes in feature-sets, technology, or market factors. I dont think those requisites are being met and I think they aren't going to deviate much from the present design.

I agree. Apple spent tons of time working on the design for the iPhone when it first came out-- Steve said so during the keynote. It seems unlikely they would change the design now, unless they need more space for 3G or something.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Do realize that if you post now, you necro'd a thread about the iPhone 3G from over a year ago. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.