Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phone wont turn on when left idle since updating to Beta 3

• Hasn't happened to me yet

Votes: 83 42.6%
  • Yes, it's happen to me at least once.

Votes: 33 16.9%
  • Yes, it's happened to me several times

Votes: 79 40.5%

• Total voters

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I am really sick of threads like these. So there's a bug that came up that wasn't there before. But you're not a developer, so you wouldn't know that or know how to go about reporting it, so you complain on this forum where no one would know why this issue occurred and the rest of the entitled beta users can join in.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I hate all the blind nerds that would excuse and defend apple for absolutely everything... "omg it's a beta apple is perfect"

sure it's a beta but those bugs shouldn't be there in the first plce, those are the kinds of bugs that are life threatning (emergencies, calls, texts etc) and downright obnoxious.

they can focus on repairing the phone app first then focus and all the bullcrap like stocks or newstand, who the hell is going to test the betas with a malfunctioning phone app anyways? whats the logic apple?
Goddam. All that ignorance, haha. Bugs shouldn't be there, yes. They are there because it's a beta and therefor not official (got it?).
It is not your job, mine or developers on some company other than Apple to test out said beta. Finally, being a beta it is not meant as a daily driver. Not saying non devs shouldn't use betas, have fun IDC, but when people complain and not submit bugs... It's pointless. So just stay quiet, let Apple do its thang, and if bugs are around in the official release go ahead and complain (which will be very likely so you get to bitch still; win win).

TinyTears

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
I am really sick of threads like these. So there's a bug that came up that wasn't there before. But you're not a developer, so you wouldn't know that or know how to go about reporting it, so you complain on this forum where no one would know why this issue occurred and the rest of the entitled beta users can join in.

You do understand the concept of a discussion forum don't you? :rolleyes: 'iOS 7' would be a very empty place if people didn't talk about issues they were experiencing...

RyanGJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Manitoba, Canada

I'm sick of posts like these where people who have nothing to contribute at all and complain about others just want their unneeded opinion heard.

dooten999

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013

This guy's forum user name should explain his stance. Fanboi.:D

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
My phone does the same thing probably around once a day, but you do not need to restore to fix it! Just hold down the lock button and the home button together until the apple logo shows up (around 5-10 seconds) and your phone will boot up normally! :)

This pisses me off too.

This is how to reset an iOS device. It has been this way since iPhone 2G.

If you didn't know this, then why the hell are you running beta software?

----------

You do understand the concept of a discussion forum don't you? :rolleyes: 'iOS 7' would be a very empty place if people didn't talk about issues they were experiencing...

As already stated numerous times in this thread, discussion about issues of ios7 should be nowhere but the apple developer forums. It's part of your NDA you sign when downloading the IPSW.

if you didn't get the software from the Apple developer site you are running it illegally and discussion of warez isn't permitted here anyway.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
As already stated numerous times in this thread, discussion about issues of ios7 should be nowhere but the apple developer forums. It's part of your NDA you sign when downloading the IPSW.

I don't know if you've read the NDA recently, but it basically states that anything that's already been publicly disclosed, either licitly by Apple, or illicitly by someone else, is fair game for public discussion.

DaBlackMamba

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
My phone will often do this, and my sleep button barely works, so every time this happens I have to jam the sleep button along a hard surface and press the home button to restart it.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
This guy's forum user name should explain his stance. Fanboi.:D

I'm sick of posts like these where people who have nothing to contribute at all and complain about others just want their unneeded opinion heard.

Rofl, what does this have to do with being a fanboy. That's a term trolls use when they have no counter-argument. I bet ur not even a developer so ur not even supposed to be using it and shouldn't be complaining about it anyway.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Sigh. You know Apple doesn't have to release the betas at all, right? They are meant for developers to test their apps with the new API's. people complaining is laughable since your not meant to download this if your not a dev. Now if you or anyone else aren't a dev and experiencing issues, downgrade. Why complain when you don't understand the circumstance is beyond me....

The one reason this has been talked about is to gauge how widespread the issue is. If for some odd reason this issue still exists when iOS 7 goes live it's going to be bad PR for Apple I can guarantee you.

As for me, I rolled back to 6.1.4 and forgot about this thread.

dooten999

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Rofl, what does this have to do with being a fanboy. That's a term trolls use when they have no counter-argument. I bet ur not even a developer so ur not even supposed to be using it and shouldn't be complaining about it anyway.

Yeah, that was probably poor speculation that "APPLE IS KING" would be a fanboi. :rolleyes:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I never get the hate here for ppl not using iOS 7 for developing purposes. Who cares what that person is doing. It's like republicans hate for poor ppl lol!!!

Anyhow back to the discussion. I was doing great with iOS 7 since beta 1, till a few days ago. I had it on my iPad mini, and iPhone 5. All of the sudden it would become unresponsive and my keyboard would freeze. I tried a clean install, restoring it as new etc. nothing helped. It was weird cause the same issue would occur on both devices, regardless of where you were in the iOS. Needless to say I am back on iOS 6, till beta 4 arrives. I was one that was hoping the new beta got here before Monday.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
I don't understand what you are saying.. How is it not a Beta 3 bug? Are you implying that this is an intentional feature...?:confused:

This is obviously a Beta 3 bug... It has happened to me several times.

Also, an fyi, theres no need to wait "a few hours".. Simply hold both the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds and your phone will reboot.. All will be well. People really need to chill out.. The complaints I read here on a daily basis about how the beta OS is not running perfectly is absolutely retarded..

----------

End users troubleshooting software issues while running a Beta OS is pointless. How can you knowingly run software that is not finished and expect everything to run smoothly? "It's a beta" is not a "cop out", it's a legitimate and relevant fact that pretty much ends the conversation about any software related issues you may be having.

Its not a beta 3 bug because it happened to me in beta 2. therefore the bug was there before beta 3.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Its not a beta 3 bug because it happened to me in beta 2. therefore the bug was there before beta 3.

According to others it has been around since iOS 6 but a big string of threads about this hit the forums after beta 3.

mrcheezit

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
This pisses me off too.

This is how to reset an iOS device. It has been this way since iPhone 2G.

If you didn't know this, then why the hell are you running beta software?

I knew that already, I was just sharing so others could fix the problem..

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
The one reason this has been talked about is to gauge how widespread the issue is. If for some odd reason this issue still exists when iOS 7 goes live it's going to be bad PR for Apple I can guarantee you.

As for me, I rolled back to 6.1.4 and forgot about this thread.

Ehm, do you seriously think that this thread will make a difference?

Of course Apple is already aware of this bug if it's widespread, and of course they will fix it before the release (more than probably in beta 4), they didn't need to read your thread to know about it and the importance of fixing it.

It's nice that people are using this thread to share ways to get around the problem or learn how to reboot their phone when it happens, but you make it sound like you're the savior that will prevent a disaster from happening on iOS 7 GM release.

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
It won't still exist if people report the bug to the bug tracker... Simple as that. Discussing it here will achieve nothing.

People fighting won't make a diffrence too

----------

i never get the hate here for ppl not using ios 7 for developing purposes. Who cares what that person is doing. It's like republicans hate for poor ppl lol!!!

Anyhow back to the discussion. I was doing great with ios 7 since beta 1, till a few days ago. I had it on my ipad mini, and iphone 5. All of the sudden it would become unresponsive and my keyboard would freeze. I tried a clean install, restoring it as new etc. Nothing helped. It was weird cause the same issue would occur on both devices, regardless of where you were in the ios. Needless to say i am back on ios 6, till beta 4 arrives. I was one that was hoping the new beta got here before monday.

+1

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
this is something new that has come up in Beta 3. Sure, the springboard doesn't crash as much as it used to but at least in a previous beta your phone wouldnt silently go into DFU mode without you knowing and possibly missing phone calls or text messages.

This is not supposed to be placed on your daily use device, so worrying about missed phone calls and text messages REALLY shouldn't be an issue. Also, anytime you're updating code you can make some things better or worse. It's expected, especially when it's beta.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
According to others it has been around since iOS 6 but a big string of threads about this hit the forums after beta 3.

I've never had it in IOS6 and IOS7 was pretty good in BETA 1, just slow. Beta 2 seems a little faster but I couldn't live with the lock ups.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
This is not supposed to be placed on your daily use device, so worrying about missed phone calls and text messages REALLY shouldn't be an issue. Also, anytime you're updating code you can make some things better or worse. It's expected, especially when it's beta.

This does not make sense to me. Because if you are going to test anything that is beta. You might as well use it regularly on a daily basis. What I mean is, I find that you can discover a lot more bugs easier this way. Than if you have it installed on something you test occasionally. Or else how is :apple: going to know how ppl use their device on a regular basis, and whether everything is working correctly? :confused:

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I've heard many times before how a beta OS should not be loaded as your daily driver. What other effective way is there to truly test it? On a iPod touch that has no phone functionality? I personally don't know anyone who actually keeps 2 activated iPhones. (for for testing, for one daily use).

anyhow, you get my point I'm sure.:)

----------

It won't still exist if people report the bug to the bug tracker... Simple as that. Discussing it here will achieve nothing.

Like I said before the whole point was to gauge and see how many users were experiencing this.

----------

Ehm, do you seriously think that this thread will make a difference?

Of course Apple is already aware of this bug if it's widespread, and of course they will fix it before the release (more than probably in beta 4), they didn't need to read your thread to know about it and the importance of fixing it.

It's nice that people are using this thread to share ways to get around the problem or learn how to reboot their phone when it happens, but you make it sound like you're the savior that will prevent a disaster from happening on iOS 7 GM release.

You're right. I should have just submitted a bug report to Apple and left it at that. On the bright side at least there aren't 25 other new threads with this issue.

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee
i think the worst thing for me would be the no sound for a txt or no notification even tho its turned on. i have to look on the home screen and look at the badge or pull down nc to check.

rssfed23

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Southampton, UK
I'm glad I stumbled along this thread (well after reading through pages and pages of childlike bickering). Happened here a few times.

Difference I initially had with mine is the lock button on the 5 is broken, therefore had no way to reset this for 3 days while waiting for it to drain battery (was in airplane mode at the time). No response on itunes or anything.
Apple store refused to help - not because of the iOS beta but because there's a small crack in the screen and they said "the software locked up the phone when you made that crack as an attempt to protect your data". After laughing at their total ******** I left the store.

Glad to know this is happening to others - at first I thought the phone was completely dead and beyond a fix (It is an Apple product older than 6 months after all!)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.