What is Windows Better At?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacintoshMaster, Sep 6, 2011.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Centralized management, enterprise integration/security/support, to name the big ones.

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Gaming. Working on hardware to fit all budgets. Having the most programs available to run.

4. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

What is enterprise and centralized management?

----------

But would mac run those games better is they were supported?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Google it. Since you're asking, my explanation probably won't help you understand.

6. wpotere Guest

Running in a domain where you can have central user accounts for all computers. Basically the big corporate networks. Macs don't do this well.

That is the problem itself. They aren't really supported yet. Some vendors are starting to look at it as a gaming platform but Windows still has the market.

7. dzigg macrumors member

For me, I can only think of 3D intensive gaming..

I swear, if most 'big' games (Battlefield, CoD, FIFA, Madden, etc) available in mac and the performance is great, mac will rule the PC.

With it's App Store so people can easily buy, download, and play, also with one purchase you can play it on any mac you own, apple have the advantage. I'm not sure the developer will agree with one purchase for all mac point, but it's better than people pirating..

Apple already doing great with it's iOS games..

I have a sneaky feeling Apple is brewing something in this department.. *crossing fingers

8. wpotere Guest

That is all you can think of? How about the fact that most companies are using Windows for their business solution? That is huge and something that Mac can't compete with at this level. Mac's are nice, but they are personal computers at best (with a few exceptions).

Now, I know I am going to catch some flak for the above, but seriously, Apple has a way to go before it can compete with Microsoft at the corporate level.

9. dzigg macrumors member

Well, yes.. that's all I can think of since I have absolutely no knowledge about business solution, lol.

My thinking is that consumer level product is what's apple good at right now (iphone, ipad, ipod, macbook, etc) and they can capitalize it more. They have sense of design, simplicity, GUI, usability, etc that're really successful and people (us) seems to like it..

Gaming is a pretty big business, and with the already amazing market penetration, it's easier for them to get into it.

They can come up with hardware solution, either upping the hardware for current product (e.g. beefing up iPad to be able to run more intensive games, or offering better gfx card to their macbook lineup) or create a new gaming platform.

From the software side they also need support from big name developers. Valve already mac-centric, but big guns like EA, bioware, etc needs to come aboard. It's all about the money in the end so they need to agree on a deal. Maybe apple can create special App store-like apps for those developers? Something Steam-like?

10. digger1985 macrumors newbie

There are many things Windows is better at. Multi monitor support for one. Explorer is better than Finder. Games run faster on the same hardware on Windows. Being able to turn of all those nasty eye candy. Not having something as silly as Auto Save which comes with Lion and so on and so on.

11. jim468 macrumors regular

That's a very good question.

BTW, what is OS X better at?

12. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

Window management (personal opinion) is the biggest reason I like Windows over OS X.

ie superbar/aero peak/preview versus expose

13. Hyper-X, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

The OP's question is rather broad since there's many versions of Windows currently, actively supported by MS.

Windows is better at network management and it offers a very good balance between flexibility and simplicity. A lot of people find using Windows to be very easy to manage permissions, groups, directories, services and accounts.

When there's a problem with Windows, it's generally easier to troubleshoot and correct the problem. By comparison if you have a problem on a Mac, correcting the problem on your own can be a hell of a task unless you know exactly what you're doing. Also this usually implies that the problem's quite severe on the Mac as well.

Windows is very customizable in that it's very easy to tailor the OS to your preferences. This is by far IMHO the most significant advantage of Windows. Something as simple as controlling the exact time the display dims is lacking on OS X, there's no way natively to control the amount of CPU power to be used based on the power state of the machine, etc.

Windows has better management/options for dealing with additional monitors. Something as simple as using only an external monitor without the laptop's built in LCD enabled (keeping the lid closed) is a very simple process in Windows. On a Mac, it can involve almost double the amount of steps to accomplish the same thing.

Windows was made to be very robust and very supportive of many hardware configurations. You can clearly see this as Windows runs on a Mac without issue, however no flavor of OS X will run properly on any AMD platform or its portable versions (like the Vision or Fusion chipsets), VIA/SiS chipsets without using custom KEXT files not native to Apple's OS X offering.

Windows 7 has native window snapping. This allows quick and easy access to multiple apps/windows on the same screen even when you don't have multiple monitors. This eliminates the tedious need to carefully place and manually resize each window side by side for example.

It's much easier on Windows 7 to see what apps/Windows are currently active. On OS X, even Expose/Spaces/Misson Control doesn't always show you all of what's currently open so you constantly need to take what you see with a grain of salt while peeking at your Dock to get the complete picture.

That's just a few things that Windows alone offers without going into 3rd party software.

14. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Not in 5 trillion years

----------

Music Production
    Photography
    Graphics
    Internet

15. wpotere Guest

Have to disagree with you on this post as well. Explorer is not only better, but more powerful. As for the rest of your list...

Music production... (what kind?)

Photography - Totally disagree. My windows machine is still my primary lab for my photos.

Graphics - No way. This used to be the case but that died many years ago.

Internet - If you are talkin about IE to Safari it is a tie, but you can always load a different browser.

16. jim468 macrumors regular

I just noticed your user-name. It all makes sense to me know, you are absolutely right.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I've been teaching myself cocoa touch in my free time and this has forced me to learn OSx as xcode will only run in this environment. I am far from a power user so take this as just a light computer user using both environments.

In learning OSx I am finding some extremely basic things missing, part of it is getting used to OSx, but another part of it is these things don't make sense in their implementation.

I think the most onerous item I have found is the dockbar. It takes up so much room needlessly, I really don't need a pretty icon for every single program, especially if it just takes up a lot of room. I much prefer the tabbed approach of the windows taskbar, succinct, compact, you get the view of the page if you hover over the tab, you can choose to stack tabs, and reading the text of what the tab is for is much easier than deciphering an icon. Plus it allows me to go virtually full screen without hiding it, where with dockbar it takes up so much room I usually end up hiding it. I'm also not thrilled with how it actually functions, I have to decide if my window is open and shows on the left of the dockbar with a tiny little dot next to it, or if its minimized and shows up on the right of the dockbar with a different icon.

Another thing that left me completely dumbfounded was the lack of any ability to change the global DPI. I'm on a 2nd gen Macbook Air and the fonts are tiny, and yes my eyes are getting older. The worst is trying to edit code in xcode and having to squint and peer to do stuff. In Windows I simply change the DPI to 125% or even a custom setting and it works perfectly.

I'm also baffled at the way windows themselves work. Why are the minimize, close, and maximize buttons so tiny? I miss the snap function in windows where I can drag a window to top/bottom or sides and it automatically sizes it to half the screen and anchors it to that side. Also if I resize the window to a custom size there doesn't seem to be a way to save that, I can either minimize or maximize the window.

File system seems very unintuitive, but this can probably be chalked up to getting used to differences. Finder just seems overly simplistic and things that are made to be easier are actually harder, like uninstalling programs and moving program locations.

There are other things but I can't recall them at the moment as I'm at work on my lunch break. I'm genuinely curious if there are solutions to these issues as I'm forcing myself to like OSx. These don't seem like issues which are simply a matter of getting used to, but to me they seem like issues which would improve OSx quite a bit for this noob user.

18. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

So if you prefer windows why do you have a mac?

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's just an OS. It's the software and hardware that's more important.

20. wpotere, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

wpotere Guest

Because unlike you I can appreciate both. :rolleyes:

Let me correct my other post.... For photography and graphics it is a tie as I can use the same software on both machines. Probably a tie for music as well but I still find explorer ahead of finder.

Apple's claim to fame now is simplicity and outer hardware. You can build/buy the same computer on the Windows side but the outer shell won't be a nice.

21. MJL macrumors 6502a

I never managed to rip my CD's on my laptop without some artifacts. Sofar under OS X no issues. (booting OS X from an external HDD)

Tried liking OS X but have reverted to running only Windows 7 on my Mac mini. I feel severely limited in my customising choices under OS X (e.g. I need all available screen space and often maximise my application and then revert back to its "normal" size. I miss the windows full screen button, too much dragging required.)

Neither does it help that the software that I require has no similar product available under OS X. (and do not talk about running Windows under Parallels or VMware, data throughput performance is horrible)

I love the eerie quietness of the Mac mini with a SSD - fan is basically inaudible at the power levels I am running it at.

22. wpotere Guest

Never had a problem ripping music with Windows. I have even used iTunes to do it and never had an issue.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Windows runs flash without any overheating, slowdowns or other issues. It's not even talked about. You get full Internet functionality no problem.

None of this click to flash BS. No mods required just run it & enjoy.

I prefer OS X, and have for years, but the flash issue is stupid. All because the old CEO hates Adobe & started a war. Apple is capable of better.

They'd rather point the finger instead of sorting it out. Even worse they've got their followers convinced it's Adobe.

24. maflynn, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Networking
    themes (incredible flexibility)
    games
    centralized management (as Miles stated)
    compatibility on different hardware
    Aero Peak is awesome
    win7 taskbar > osx Dock

Edit:
    File management - I prefer the windows file explorer over Finder's. I satisfy that difference by using PathFinder

25. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Nothing. Really. Nothing. I couldn't think of one thing.

What is better is the hardware choices. With Apple its just Apple if you don't want to Hackintosh it. For Windows, well you know. Plenty plenty of choices and price points.