What is wrong with this Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Sep 1, 2013.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

If a Macbook Pro has a black line going down the screen of it, what does that link to most likely?

Must either be the Graphics Card or the screen itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...57407672?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item46127599b8

Here's a photo of the problem

Says that if connected to an external source that the problem is not there, which would lead me to believe that the problem isn't in the graphics card?

Any input?

2. Astroboy907, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Likely the screen not the GPU if the external output is fine. Screen or LVDS cable.
    Lol at eBay, looked at that listing not too long ago myself...
    But please don't blame me if it is some bizarre issue that only happens with the dGPU or something! ;)
    Edit: the late 2008 models do not have automatic graphics switching. So it is very likely the screen or cable. There is a slight possibility the connector on the logic board is damaged, but I don't know if this is the kind of distortion that would cause.
    Oh, and another thing about your post about the logic board- I forgot to mention that Late 08 screens are compatible with mid 2009 bodies for the most part. The sleep magnet is on the opposite side and the iSight cables are slightly different. I have a mid 09 display in my late 08, not 100% it would work backwards (the mid 09 LCD panel had a spot for the magnet to be moved. This requires the glass to be removed. Not sure if a late 2008 would have the same dual cutout design for both magnet locations).

Good luck!