What is your case philosophy and why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sixxmum, Sep 25, 2012.

1. sixxmum, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

So, as two examples - there are many options. :)

Maybe you are a more protection (so things like Otterbox Defender) because you want to resell. Maybe you are a thinner design (like the Desmay) for better viewing of the style. Maybe you are a thicker case for a more firm hold. Etc.

And, if you have settled on a case to fit your philosophy, what is it?

2. JoshObra, Sep 25, 2012

JoshObra macrumors regular

Theres a sense of personalization to it as well, or else all our phones would look alike.

But for me, I think it's more of a grip issue (without the case, I feel like holding half a deck of cards) and drop protection. My heart just falls apart when I accidentally drop my iPhone from whatever height and just like somebody kicking my car (which really happened) out of nowhere I start getting that cold feeling about my phone.

Yeah, it's just a phone. But it's yours to maintain for two years (or one).

But my favored cases are the slim as possible cases while it still has that protection from certain dooms.

Just my two cents.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No case.

That decision has nothing to do with style, it's just a preference I have for every phone I own.

4. JonMPLS, Sep 25, 2012

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

With my iPhone 4 I added a black Desmay (and a Pinlo slice) to make it look more like the iPhone 5 looks without a case!

With the iPhone 5 . . .
    Typically, I will use a case when I travel and use the iPhone as my GPS unit. It can slide around on the dash quite a bit.

If doing something messy (ala, buying hay for the horses) the iPhone goes into a zipper pouch or an eyeglass pouch.

Business and casual: Naked!

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

6. bigcat macrumors 6502

No case here as well. I just don't see the point of wrapping such a great looking device in a condom. But that's just me.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Just a skin for me. Had a bumper on my 4 most of its life. Got tired of it and removed it at the end. I liked it better naked, but the back glass got all scratched up in a few months. My 5 will just have a skin, perhaps just on the back. I have also thought about just some rubber bumpers for the phone to sit on on the back...

8. captainamerica, Sep 25, 2012

captainamerica macrumors member

I use cases + screen protectors. I like to keep my devices in perfect condition in order to preserve resale value. I like fitted TPU cases with front lips because they offer good protection without adding too much bulk to the phone.

As far as screen protectors go, I liked Power Support's Anti Glare film the best for my iphone 4. I'm temporarily using a rocketfish screen protector on my iphone 5 until the set of SGP Ultra Clear films I ordered arrive in the mail. Whether or not I get Power Support Anti Glare this time around is dependent on how much I like the SGP screen.

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

Comfort, utility, and protection

I am not a clumsy person, but I once dropped my Treo phone in the parking lot and was really bump. On the other hand it doesn't make sense to cover up the feature that you try to protect because you can't enjoy it: thinness, elegant design, etc.

But then the most important part of the phone is the screen. I really like the feel of the glass so I don't use a screen protector. When it comes to putting the phone down, with a case that has a slightly raised edge for the screen, I feel comfortable putting the thing face down, otherwise I end up putting the phone face up and subject the screen to other danger. So a case makes sense here.

Then there is the comfort factor. I found the iP4 not comfortable to hold without a case. The iP5 is better because it is lighter, but I would prefer it a bit rounder on the edges. It is a bit tricky to pick up off a flat surface like a table. A less slippery case would help here. Also, while I love the thinness of the iP5, I wonder if it would actually be more comfortable to hold had it been a bit thicker. Mind you when it lies flat in your hand the thickness of the phone doesn't matter. But when you tilt it beyond 45 degree or worse yet vertical as when making a phone call, it feels almost too thin. It's just simple physics: trying to apply force or the thin edges of the phone to overcome gravity. A less slippery case that increases the thickness helps here.

I love the look of the iP5, and the light weight makes it a lot more comfortable to use without the case than a iP4. I am tempted. But I think a case will make it more comfortable to handle. It's a trade off between function and look. But if the screen is the most important part, as long as the case doesn't affect the screen (edge reach), I think I am leaning toward a case.

10. jester0723 macrumors regular

11. luke707 macrumors member

I would love to walk around without a case but I have a horrible OCD about scratches and marks. When I used to buy watches as a kid, I'd leave the thick protective cover over the watch face for as long as possible incase I scratched it!

As long as I have some protection then I'm fine. I pretty much always use a screen protector because the last thing you want is a massive scratch down the screen, plus you can barely see them.

Case wise, I like the minimal look. On my previous iPhone 4 I had an Apple bumper, it did the job and didn't look too bad. I'm not one to drop my phone but it was nice knowing there was a BIT of protection.

When I get my iPhone 5 I'll probably go for somethin similar but I'll ave to think about the back seeing as I want the back and it's prone to scratches.

Once I get a few scrathes I don't usually care, so maybe I should just scratch my new iPhone 5 and then I'll be fine with being case-less without worrying. :eek:

12. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Cases are ugly, protectors are good, so is my livelyhood.

I need dem pouches and sleevs!

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've had so many cases in the past. I just sold a batch on eBay.

The nature of my work would require medium protection such as the Otterbox Defender. What I used to do was rock the Defender on the weekdays for work then when I got home Friday would switch to Apple Bumper or Magpul Field case.

As time went on I didn't like doing this. The Defender is a great case but as time went on I didn't like the bulk, took away from the iPhone.

So now my cases are the Magpul Field case and/or Apple Bumper. What I do now at work is instead of carrying my iPhone with me when work needs to be done I keep the iPhone in the truck. I'm not out of the truck long enough to matter. If I miss a call or text then it can wait til I get back in my work truck. If I had a job where I needed to be out of my work truck for a long periods of time then I would find another option.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I look for two things in a case. Style and protection. It has to be a good looking case that keeps the sleekness of the phone. Then it has to have good protection from normal bumps and everyday use.

15. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Griffin Survivor.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored

This is probably the best protection you can get for the iPhone.

It is overkill and does bulk up the phone big time.

I personally like the 'military' look and want the best technology available to me, I have no interest in showing off to others that I have the new slim iphone.

Personally I wish the phone were both heavier and larger with a longer lasting battery and larger screen. I love Apple and don't want an Android or W8.

Trying to take a picture with the phone without any cover on I feel I'm trying to hold a wet fish, I know it would only be a matter of time before I dropped it.

When I came to sell my iP4s it came out of the Griffin Survivor case and looked like new thus ensuring maximum retail value.

I may consider this case when it's available...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104350651/taktik-premium-protection-system-for-the-iphone

16. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

So true, the first scratch is the hardest.

17. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Indeed multiple cases. One for rugged use,one for everyday use. And the just go naked when needed.

Sort of like my clothes and shoes. Outdoor work,office work/relaxing and then naked....

18. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I like to put my phone in a very thin pouch so it is protected when I put it down on a table or stick it in my pocket but I can pull it out of the pouch when I'm using it and have the "naked" look and feel of the device and fully enjoy it visually.

19. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

What's the point of having such a well-designed phone if you're just going to cover it up with a plastic, bulky case?

Naked all the way. If I drop it, I can get it replaced for $50 or whatever (AppleCare+) if it's really messed up - otherwise, it's just a damn phone, and I'll replace it in a year anyway, when the 5S comes out.

21. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

You sir, have no respect for money.

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's an odd thing to say - you don't even know me. :confused:

The fact is, I work hard to provide for my family and I do well enough to be able to afford a new phone every year. Some people don't have to work for what they have and therefore have no respect for money. I'm not one of them. ;)

23. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Thats not entirely true. You can work for it in another way , if youre a minor that is, but saying you buy a new phone every year is dramatic. If you remember the old days , you wouldnt buy a new phone for every year. Thats a new, scaring trend.

24. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

My philosophy has been that the phone, to me, especially with freshly washed hands, is just too slick. It also doesn't sit well on a leg while in the car.

So for me, a bumper is the way to go.

For the iP5, I decided I wanted to consolidate though, and have a wallet case.

These guys make a nice slip case that will fit an iP5 WITH a bumper on it.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/smartcase-iphone.php

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, I used to work for a regional cellular phone carrier, so I got a new phone - whatever the latest and greatest was - every few months. ;) This isn't a new thing for me.