What Is Your Earliest Memory?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Ok, sort of a random thread here, but what is the first thing you can remember. Lately I've just been remembering random event from earlier in my life.

The earliest memory I can think of is being in a crib at night in New York (where I lived until I was 5) with the moonlight shining in. I wasn't very big at the time because I remember seeing this red pillow I had with sail boats on it seemed pretty large to me. It's actually only at the most 12" square.

I know, not a very interesting story, but I think it's pretty cool I can remember back that far- I wish I could think back further. I have a friend that hit his head in a skiing accident and can't remember anything before 6th grade :eek: It seems most people don't remember their early years very well even without head trauma.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Funnily enough, my earliest memory (or at least, one of my earliest) does involve a head trauma. :eek:

I got knocked out while at playschool, I would have been three at the time. Me and some of my little friends were spinning each other around, my partner let go of me, and i flew back and smacked the back of my heda on the edge of a table.

What I remember is what I saw when I came around a minute or two later, being laid on the floor and looking up at the skylights in the roof.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I can remember arguing with some other kids at nursery school whilst playing with some skittles. I wanted to pretend that they were milk bottles and play at being a milkman whilst those weirdos wanted to knock them down with a ball.

Admittedly I have come around to their way of thinking as I much prefer going bowling to getting up at 4am to deliver milk.

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I remember sitting in the dark waiting for dad to get up and give me a bottle of juice when I was two-and-a-half years old.

5. Lau Guest

I don't know how old I was but it was before my brother was born and he was born when I was two and a half.

We were on holiday in a house that had a really noisy washing machine and I remember it was really dark in the house and sitting on a window seat with my hands over my ears crying and crying and crying. I got really freaked out by loud things when I was little (and I still don't really like them).

I've been told later that on the same holiday I was failing miserably to sleep (as I always did - my poor parents) and my dad took me out in the pushchair about 5 am to try and make me sleep as this apparently often worked. In his unfortunate tired state he apparently didn't do up the seatbelt thing and right after I'd fallen asleep in it he tipped me down a kerb and I fell out on my face and started crying again. My mum was unaware of this until he told me as well a couple of years ago. :p It probably explains a lot. ;)

Anyway, there might be something in this head trauma thing. :D

6. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I remember when I was three or four, and I had a dream about how the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz movie had called me and wanted me to go over to her castle and give her Chex cereal...:confused:

I don't know where it came from either.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

The sad thing is most of my memories are probably not real. I get my real life and some of my early dreams really confused. And as for the earliest memory, I have no idea, I have no perception of time for anything that happened before I turned 10.

That made me LOL. :D

8. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I was like two and I fell on a lawnmower that my grandfather had just turned off. I guess I was going over to see him or something but I tripped and fell on the exhaust (which was like a muffler on those old lawnmowers).

Well anyway, I landed on it and got like 2nd and 3rd degree burns ALL over my hands. I went to the hospital and had my hands bandaged up really well, like a mummy's.

Still to this day my hands are sensitive to heat and cold. More so than I think is normal compared to the rest of my body...

My other memory is of falling down the basement stairs and cracking my chin open. That really sucked!

~Crawn

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Getting yelled at for peeing down the air conditioning vent when I was one.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WHAT!?!?!?! I WAS ONE:rolleyes:

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I remember licking my dog because she licked me first. I think I was like 2. Haha...thankfully I got over that! :p

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I remember different things. I remember looking at the end of my bed, back when my bed had bars to prevent me from rolling onto the floor. I remember having a nightmare that had something to do with the leprechan from Lucky Charms. He kept popping up form behind the bed, because I had too vivid an imagination and the darkness was playing tricks on my eyes. I also remember being taken to a bank for the first time in Cambridge, MA. My dad took me into an elevator and he told me about savings bonds my parents had purchased for my education later. That was the first time I remember actively trying to MAKE a memory. I told myself I'd always remember that day. Unfortunately, can't remember anything of the context, or even where it was.

Memory is a crazy crazy thing. :p

~ CB

12. kabunaru Guest

I had a memory of a deja vu I had when I was little.

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A few of my earliest memories:
    1. Standing outside my bathroom after flushing my undies down it. I was potty training and had apparently soiled myself. Washing out the mess, the toilette flushed. We had to call the toilette techies.

2. Having just awoken from a horrid dream involving a large crocodile, I fled my room and hid in the downstairs guest room of my house where I then "saw" the offending dreamed reptile peering out at my from the dark basement door.

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My second memory was the first time I saw a big wheel. So frickin' awesome. Made me thrilled to be in Montessori school. I was three.

My first memory was being dropped off at Montessori school earlier in the day. I was very very very upset.

16. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Blimey.......i can remember sitting on my grans hearth rug, after returning from hospital, I must have been about three and a half, a few hours before i had knocked a box full of kiddies building blocks over onto my foot, ended up losing my big toe nail, can't remember if it hurt or not, but my gramps was watching the horse racing with the sound off (he's deaf, no point having sound on)........... great guy, he's 97 now...... strange what you can remember when you try,
    good thread :D

17. Bonkey macrumors newbie

I was thinking about this today. I always try to gauge my age based on my brother or sister's presence. That being said, I think my earliest memory is when I was about 3-3.5. I can remember waking up and my parents were gone b/c my mom had gone into labor. The neighbor was sitting on our couch and explained the situation.
    I think seeing pictures keeps our minds fresh too. My mom took tons of pics and I think that is why I have a great memory.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Before I could walk I remember this cart that was a lion that was to help me learn how to walk (the type you can ride or push). It had these two big white and blue eyes on it. My grandparents were up for Easter and I remember after I had used it outside that it was in my bedroom. When I crawled by the room I vividly remember it winking at me. Scared me to death (even at that age I knew it wasn't alive).

Funnily enough when I told my parents the story years ago they pulled out an old video of that day and me pushing the lion cart. Confirmed everything for me. I had no idea children could remember things at such a young age. My parents say it was before I was 1.

19. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I had a really high fever when I was about 2 year old or so

cnn was on the tv in the down stairs den (as always) covering some war and my dad was in the back yard mowing the yard while I was laying on the couch
    with my fever the stuff on tv and the sound of my dad mowing merged and I thought there was a war in the back yard and my dad was part of it
    I also remember that night riding to the hospital in the back of my dads honda civic hatch back while my mom freaked out
    and then staying in the hospital for a while

20. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

heh, seconded.

When I was 2-3 my family lived in Sydney, Australia and one night when we went out to dinner I ducked under a railing, tripped, and fell 6 or 7 feet down onto my face on the concrete. I remember just afterward sitting with my mom, bleeding all over the place and crying.

My next memory after that is the night we came back to our old house after we got back from Australia, driving up the driveway.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

catching a glimpse of the Nightmare on Elm Street and being horrifed as 4(ish) year old.

(The scene where Freddy is in the wall)

22. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I don't really have a concept of time, either, before a certain age, though I do remember lots of things from when I was an infant. The order's just all ambiguous.

Also seeing videos of myself at that age doesn't help, as these start to masquerade as memories in the first-person.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I was very young and don't have many other memories from around this time but I do recall it being dark and "snowy" outside when it should have been daytime and sunny where I was, just outside of Seattle. Mount Saint Helens was to blame for why I couldn't go outside and play.

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I have an awful long term memory.

I think my earliest memory would be from my first year at Primary School, we had chicks and we're watching them in the incubation thingy-ma-jig. Still a while ago I guess.

25. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Mine is from when I was still in the big old-fashioned pram my Mum had so I'd be old enough to sit up, maybe about 9 months, but less than one year old. There was a waterproof, canvas apron that fastened over the pram to keep me snug and when it rained it made a puddle on it. I would bend over and try to drink the water and I can still remember the smell! I have lots of memories from then on.