What is Your Fastest iPhone 4 3G Download Speed? (pic)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have never seen download rates as high as I just got here in downtown Atlanta. Wow!

Have you guys seen or get rates like this? Please post your speed test.

[​IMG]

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

My top speed is about the same as that. Upload may have been a little higher, around 1000-1100 kbps. Near Portland, OR, but across the Columbia river in Vancouver, WA. Not all areas where I am are that fast, though. It widely varies.

3. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

4. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I'm really impressed. I travel constantly with my job all over the continental United States and I never broke 3000 Kbps on my old iPhone 3G. I have seen better upload as well but I am loving the download! I'm sure it being 3:34 am plays a big role... :)

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Very nice! AT&T is doing a decent job on this data rate.

6. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

By way of comparison.

This is the data rate I got on an iPad connected to the internet through an iPhone3G. I was using the tethering app: MyWi.
    This was using the O2 network in the UK.

I think this performance was a fluke. I figure I was the only user on the cell at the time.

[​IMG]

C.

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah, that seems a bit outrageous. What will it do on 3G through the phone itself? Plus your using the wifi chip and not the 3G... And that is a screen shot from an iPad. Damn it man!

8. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I don't know why, but for some reason I don't believe that. You show me that on your iPhone with the 3G symbol up on top and I will eat my words. But to my knowledge, no one is getting 7mb down yet. That's faster that what I get from my dsl service. If you're not screwing around that that's literally "unbelievable. "

9. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

If you read the post - I am using an iPhone 3G as a 3G modem for the iPad. So it does reflect the 3G speed I am getting.

I'll have to take the phone back to the same spot. At the same time at night, to get the performance directly on the phone.

C.

10. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

To be honest....I found it unbelievable too. If you look at the screenshot, the 6Mb previous test is what I got at home, using ADSL over an 802.11n Wifi.
    I guess there could be something weird going on. But this is genuinely what happened.

I was sat in the car, with my 3G propped up against the windshield.
    I'll take the phone down to the same spot and see if I can replicate the result using the same Speedtest software as the earlier posts.

C.

11. kolax macrumors G3

7 megabits per second, not megabytes.

Works out roughly 900KB/s.

12. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

But why did you even post it? The thread is iPhone 4 speed test. I think the only thing you measured is the wifi connection speed between your iPhone 3G and your iPad.

13. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I posted it "By Way of Comparison" which is why I titled the post as such. I happened to think that such a ridiculously high speed was quite interesting. But it always a pleasure to meet the thread police, Officer.

Speedtest X measures download speed from an internet based server. In this instance, the iPad was getting its internet data from a 3G connection furnished by a two-year-old white iPhone3G.

I'll try this test again with the 3G on its own - and when Apple finally gets round to mailing me to say my iPhone4 has arrived, I'll test that at the same spot too.

C.

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I wasn't really trying to find out the fastest speed AT&T's 3G network could be, but I was trying to find out how/if dl/ul rates are really affected by the "death grip". This is a screenshot of the 3G speeds my iPhone 4 got while being held in the death "grip" with one bar:

[​IMG]

The "death grip" issue is over-exaggerated, however the upload speed was dramatically affected. The download speed remained very good (for a 3G network). I'm waiting for a software update so I don't have to worry about the dropping bars again.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Here's a pretty good average here in Dallas area. I live up in Plano (about 20 miles north), but the speeds are just about the same as here in downtown Dallas.

Attached Files:

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I think 1270 kps on the upside is some maximum, I have never gotten more than that or SEEN more than that.

but 5200kps download is pretty nice

17. mallom macrumors regular

I live in plano too, but I'm getting 2,5k download and the same upload speed.

:/

18. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

My DSL is only about 2.4 Mbps down and 400 Kbps up, so the 3G is often much faster as shown above (except for latency). But, the things I tend to download the most (new and updated apps) force me to use wifi for the bigger ones. I wish I could download them over 3G as it would be much faster.

19. bova80 macrumors 6502a

South of Pittsburgh

Attached Files:

20. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Also in Plano:

This result was from last night while I was diagnosing some home network issues.

Attached Files:

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I figured last night's 5 Mbps results were due to low traffic at that time of day, so I ran another test this morning during rush hour. I'm still impressed…

[​IMG]

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I still tend to get around 0.5 Mbps at both home and work. :(

I'm usually seeing 1.5 at most other spots around town and sometimes as high as 3.0. (Sometimes)

Thank god for Wifi.

23. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

iPhone 3G cant even go that fast. iPhone 3G is 3.6 Mbps so that result is impossible.