What is your Major?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mbtalle, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mbtalle macrumors member

So I'm currently a Communications major (looking to become a sports journalist), and I'm looking to minor in Graphic Design. Any other journalists out there? English majors? Graphic Design? If so, how you do you like it?

If not, what are you majoring in? Like? Dislike?

Cheers,

Brent

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Was majoring in BioChemistry... got burnt out. Now doing nursing and love it. I am obviously attracted to the medical part of it (biosciences and A&P) but I also enjoy the psychology of it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering

Grad Degree (about to start): Atmospheric Science

4. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Accounting major and I enjoy it. I'll be moving on to a Master's degree in accounting (likely with tax emphasis) in the next six months or so.

5. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Graduated in December

My undergraduate Bachelor's degree includes a major in Business Administration and a minor in Political Science. I'm looking into law school and some JD programs at the moment...need to take the dreaded LSAT! :eek:

6. sauced macrumors regular

I majored in computer science (graduated in 2008!)

7. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

BS in Software Engineering will graduate this year.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I was attempting a triple major in college when I went I was going for a Doctorate in education. Art, Science, and Education....wound up with an associates degree in general studies before my funding ran out and wound up with more education in Psychology and Business than anything else.

9. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

I started college alittle late due to me being a dumbass and only thinking about partying and girls but my major is Advertising. My goal is to finish college (half way done) and work at a fancy design agency in NYC.

10. lag1090 macrumors 6502

11. MacBackpacker macrumors newbie

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Electrical Engineering. Very fun stuff and can become confusing if you loose track of an acronym or lesson.

13. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Started in Computer Science. Hated the programming teachers, and was a little immature at the time. I was too busy watching world premiere Def Leppard videos and Olympic hockey to go to class.

Just went back and finished my BS in Business Admin/Finance. I went to the coolest school out there. Ask Dukebound. It's not Duke. :D

I would like to recommend one thing though. I am not trying to be a downer here, but have you taken a look at what sports journalism prospects are like in an UP economy, much less this one? I would seriously consider a business degree as it's so generic it might get you into some opportunities that you might not have otherwise.

I got a business degree because it's generic enough, and the finance is my hobby. Computer Science is very easily outsourced, and can be very repetitive at the early stages of a career. With every major media site taking free submissions of stories from readers, you might be facing some long odds of getting a decent paying journalism spot for a while.

Good luck though. Enjoy your time in school, and get as robust an education as you can. It's really rare to have the chance to go back later since most people are buried under a mortgage or something, so they can't take the time to go back full time.

I would also recommend taking an interesting class outside of your major, just to get a different viewpoint and group of students.

Have fun!

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Currently a CompSci major, though I might pick up a PoliSci minor or perhaps double major if I can get my act together.

15. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

I'm currently doing Computer Networking Technology.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

agreed I took philosophy outside my course studies as an elective for shitzngiggles

17. kawixsiyu macrumors member

I want to major in ether Geology, Meteorology, Astronomy or Biology. I have just been taking the standard classes until I figure out what I really want to do. Hard Choices...:D

18. macbook yes macrumors 6502

Majoring in Developmental Biology and minoring in Biophysics.

The only part I don't like is the chemistry. There are so many dang chem classes, and they are killing my GPA.

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I was home schooled 100% (with no diploma or accreditation), but if I can call it a "major" it was Graphic Art & Advertising - that was my dominant study thingie.

20. timerollson macrumors 65816

Marketing concentration (what's considered a major in the undergrad business school). Graduated last May. It was great.

Took plenty of classes outside of my major. BC is notorious for their undergrad core.

21. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Majoring-finance
    minoring-accounting

Love finance can't get enough. Accounting on the other hand not so much. Just doing it because it will look good to future employers :) and it was only 12 more credits for the minor.

Graduate next spring and very excited.

22. mbtalle thread starter macrumors member

I have a good friend who is in her first year at nursing school and she loves it. Also, my aunt was working on her masters in Biology (or something along those lines) and ultimately dropped it to go into nursing.

I understand what you're saying with trying to find a decent paying job in journalism. I actually read a piece the other day and they were saying that since newspaper/magazine sales were at an all-time low, if the government didn't get involved and provide some sort of bailout, then industry would go under.

With that said, I'm now trying to decide if I should go web design with a minor in english or journalism. My wife has a friend who did english with a minor in web design because everything in today's media is online, so it pays to have that extra experience.

My wife is a PoliSci major at UMBC and she loves it. If you have a thing for politics, I'd say go for it.

And there are tons of engineers out there. I'm surprised to see so many. I had actually thought of going software engineering, but I HATE math so I couldn't imagine doing all that Calculus and calculus-based Physics and Linear Algebra. Thinking about it makes my head spin...

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Took me forever to settle into something, but I'm now double majoring in Health Promotion and Education (that's one program), and also Biology.

Not too keen on Biology major, but I absolutely love the Health Promotion and Education major. And have found a ton of opportunity to work in the field, even as an undergrad!

SLC

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Graduated in August with a CS degree. I liked it until I had my first internship. Then I realized that I'd already learned all I was going to in the classroom. The last two years were pure torture. I love my work, though, so it all worked out.