What is your top wish in iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Jan 3, 2012.

?

What iPad improvment do you want to see most

Poll closed Jan 24, 2012.
  1. SD slot

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Mini-SD slot

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. USB (keyboard, USB drive)

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. more memory (128+ GB)

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. 3+ MP back Camera

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Back and/or Front camera LED light

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Lighter or smaller iPad (same 9.7" screen)

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  8. Stereo Speakers

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Stand mount hard point (screw hole, notch, tab, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ambient temperature

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  11. Radiation detector

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Tachyon accelerator

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  13. Blago speech analyzer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. other

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. PracticalMac, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What one hardware item do you want to see iPad have?

This does not consider a 7.x inch "iPad mini", just features.

SD slot (FULL SIZE)
    Mini-SD slot
    USB (keyboard, USB drive)
    More memory (128gb)
    3+ MP back Camera
    Back and/or Front camera LED light
    Smaller or lighter
    Stereo speakers
    Stand mount hard point (screw hole, notch, tab, etc)
    Ambient temperature
    Radiation detector
    Tachyon accelerator
    Blago analyzer

Edit update:
    These items are GIVEN IMPROVEMENTS, no need to vote for them

Retina Screen
    Faster CPU
    More RAM (1GB)

2. Liquinn Suspended

SD slot for sure.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

OK, Full size? Please vote.

4. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

I'm good with the camera connection kit to upload photos

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

That we could have 10 more threads this week speculating on what will be in the iPad 3.:D

6. Liquinn Suspended

that'd be fine ^.^

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

SD slot is worthless. All the good cameras use CompactFlash. Everyone I know has to use the USB port adapter and basically ditch the senseless SD one.

Even better, dont clutter and uglify it with expansion ports.

I'm gonna use phone or real camera for photos. Rear would can be totally cut, just leave face camera for video conf.

Retina display or bust.

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

A real file system, let me download stuff to and from the iPad without having to use obscene work arounds and duplicating the same file multiple times just to open it in another app. If some granny finds it to be overly complicated they can choose not to use it,but for god's sake give me that option!

9. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Real handwriting support. That, coupled with a retina display, would make 90% of my paper usage obsolete

10. Skika macrumors 68030

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Wow, these are just unreal wishes.

SD slot Unthinkable. Apple has an adapter for this, which means extra profit.
    Mini-SD slot Wow. So you were probably thinking: "nah, they won't do a SD slot, but they will do a mini-SD slot... put in the list"? Adaptor.
    USB (keyboard, USB drive) You can already connect a keyboard to your iPad via bluetooth. Keyboards without bluetooth can make use of an adapter.
    more memory (128+ GB) Fair enough.
    3+ MP back Camera Fair enough.
    Back and/or Front camera LED light Back, fair enough. Front? Seriously, it will just shine in your eyes...
    Lighter or smaller iPad (same 9.7" screen) Smaller? Nah! That bezel is there for a reason! Lighter... could be.
    Stereo Speakers Than they should go for a (simulation) 360 surround sound. There's no wrong orientation, remember?
    Stand mount hard point (screw hole, notch, tab, etc) Wait, what?!
    Ambient temperature Uh...
    Radiation detector ?!
    Tachyon accelerator :confused:
    Blago speech analyzer ?!?!?!!!!!!!
    other Retina display

12. APlotdevice, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Other: An optional, relatively fine-tipped active stylus. This would be a major boon for drawing, note taking, and image editing on the iPad. It would not replace the standard finger input. Just supplement it. With the ability to electronically distinguish between finger and pen it could even open the door to unique interface methods. Like in a drawing app you could use two fingers to dynamically place a virtual ruler which the pen's line would then "snap" to. Or in any app with text you could drag the stylus across to make an immediate selection.

Now I know third are third party active styluses coming out soon. At least one of which will supposedly have a decent level of app support. But pretty much everyone would be jumping in line to support an official Apple product. It could even have basic support at the operating system level.

---

The camera connection kit fills my SD card needs. The only thing is that it would be nice if you could preview pictures in full screen before transferring them. But then that's just a software issue.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Mine would definitely be an actual usable camera

14. mrochester macrumors 68000

My biggest wish is a higher resolution display. I wouldn't say it was a given, and given the choice, it would be the only thing I was bothered about from that list.

15. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Agreed. The current one outputs horrible, grainy pictures. I've never had the desire to use it.

16. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

• Dual-core or quad-core Cortex A15 processor
    • Retina display and more powerful graphics
    • 1GB RAM, lighter weight and more battery life
    • 1080p stills and 1080p video, 4S-like quality

That is all.

17. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I want to see that those useless SIM locks will disappear. I want to decide which provider to choose or even no provider.
    But here in Japan I can only get 3G (plus GPS) with contract. Hate that; should be changed.

When talking about technical goodies: maybe a temperature sensor would be nice.

And a MagSafe-style dock-connector.

18. jsf721 macrumors 6502

19. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

My top wish for the iPad 3 has to be the 2048x1536 display. Oh, and faster processor, better graphics, better rear camera, and maybe a slight redesign

20. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Here is my list of what I want for the iPad. Some of these ideas are pretty much impossible right now, but this isn't what I want in the iPad now, it's what I would like to see in five years time.

Siri:
    For obvious reasons, hopefully coming soon.

Non supported file types (including flash):
    I don't expect Apple to support BASIC, flash or some sort of obscure file type used by my word processor in 1991. However what I would like to see is them relaxing the rules on apps which can. If I wanted to open the BASIC file, I'd simply go into the app store and see if anyone had written an app capable of handling it, then I'd open in. The iPad can't play WMV files, but Oplayer can, more apps like that. From what I understand the problem is when running interpreted code, a program can theoretically access the iPad in harmful ways, but if it was running in a virtual machine, surely it could only damage that virtual machine while leaving the iPad unharmed,

Video editing (and light versions of other programs):
    So near yet so far. I remember years ago claiming that a laptop would never have the power to edit video...yeah I'm kicking myself now. So when the iPad came out I said "soon it will have video" and I was right, kinda. Now just to get good video editing. I don't see Final Cut Touch happening for quite awhile, but what about a program which plugs into it. I read that iMovie was originally First Cut and was designed so editors could quickly sort through the footage before switching over to final cut. Just imagine that on the iPad, doing a rough mockup of a scene on your iPad using low quality footage, then syncing with your computer to do the rest of the edit. Imagine the same for photoshop.
    Import music, video and photos, then editing the library:
    I imagine the problem here is keeping multiple devices in sync. At the moment the Music, video and photo apps are in a look but don't touch mode. I have about 300 songs without lyrics, I'm gradually adding those by hand, same with photos, I have thousands of unorganised images without tags/keywords.

Lyrics on iPad:
    Whoever removed the lyrics from IOS5's music app, please bring them back.

File organisation:
    Not a file system, I doubt that will ever happen, but another equally powerful way of organising files. Making files searchable in spotlight would be a big help here, at the moment I am working on a oroject which has some files in iBooks, Pages and Numbers, finding which file is where is a chore. But think of photo tagging. When I create a file in Pages I name it, what if beneath the name there was a tagging box, so I could name one file "Film" "Name of the film" etc. or "personal" "Ben" etc. then later I could find every file related to that file, or every letter I have ever sent to Ben etc.

21. ped macrumors regular

Your poll needs another option: more RAM (not storage). That's my vote for the next iPad, along with a higher-res screen.

22. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I chose SD slot and I PRAY it will not be smaller nor thinner.

Mike

23. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

All of my wishes are software, not hardware. Better cameras are the only thing I'd even be interested in.

24. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Not necessarily a file system, but a 'My Documents' folder that can be used as a USB drive and accessed via iOS. It would be nice to be able to email files without having to open them first.

Why is this important ? Because when I am in the field I don't have Internet access on my laptop. I don't need Numbers destroying the formatting on Excel files that I have to email daily.

Of course a 'big boy' office suit (MS are listening ?) would be nice. Not the dumbed down mobile crap, but a real desk top equivalent.

Edit: While I am at it, how about more ram and a page file ?

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My iPad 2 is just fine. I'm not interested in a hi-res model since I have no desire to use it as a primary device over any of my Macs.

An alternate casual use tablet, it fills the role just fine for me.