Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What iPad improvment do you want to see most

• SD slot

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Mini-SD slot

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • USB (keyboard, USB drive)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • more memory (128+ GB)

• 3+ MP back Camera

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Back and/or Front camera LED light

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Lighter or smaller iPad (same 9.7" screen)

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Stereo Speakers

• Stand mount hard point (screw hole, notch, tab, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ambient temperature

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Radiation detector

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Tachyon accelerator

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Blago speech analyzer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 21 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Why is this important ? Because when I am in the field I don't have Internet access on my laptop. I don't need Numbers destroying the formatting on Excel files that I have to email daily.

Of course a 'big boy' office suit (MS are listening ?) would be nice. Not the dumbed down mobile crap, but a real desk top equivalent.
You're using it wrong. You need a laptop. A laptop tethered to a smartphone or with an internal cellnet card.

Sounds like you're trying to use a tablet for more than designed for, probably like many, simply because its the new hip thing.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
You're using it wrong. You need a laptop. A laptop tethered to a smartphone or with an internal cellnet card.

Sounds like you're trying to use a tablet for more than designed for, probably like many, simply because its the new hip thing.

Uh,being able to manage files without iTunes which is a steaming pile of dung isn't unreasonable. I can easily do it on an Android tablet,and I honestly can't understand why Apple can't implement a reasonable solution. The fact that I can't attach files with the mail app or simply drag and drop a document without going through a convoluted process involving iTunes(did I mention how much it sucks?) is pretty ridiculous.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
built in video out of some sort. None of that annoying dock cable, and definately not airplay mirroring.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Uh,being able to manage files without iTunes which is a steaming pile of dung isn't unreasonable. I can easily do it on an Android tablet,and I honestly can't understand why Apple can't implement a reasonable solution. The fact that I can't attach files with the mail app or simply drag and drop a document without going through a convoluted process involving iTunes(did I mention how much it sucks?) is pretty ridiculous.

Because they don't want to. Its not within the vision of their design. Then get an android tablet, no one is twisting your arm. Again you're using the wrong device for the task.

I for one once had an old Windows Mobile with real file system, it was a clunky pile of ****. I welcome the change, its pros as well as the cons.

In business, laptop is necessary. In personal life, dropbox has been plenty.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
- Retina display
- More RAM (Safari crashes on me a lot due to insufficient memory)
- A6 processor and better graphics
- 5mpx+ camera on rear, maybe better front camera but I doubt it.
- Redesign I don't really care for, if they have to make it a bit thicker to fit in a retina display I wouldn't mind

And possibly a 7-inch Kindle Fire competitor, however that may have to wait until 2013.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

That's what I do. I hook up my phone to my laptop as a USB device and and send them from my phone. Which is why when I finally decided to get a smartphone, it was a new BBOS7 Blackberry. I bought it, my choice.

Have you tried "Filer"?

Not yet, but looking into it. Thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That's Some List!

What one hardware item do you want to see iPad have?

This does not consider a 7.x inch "iPad mini", just features.

SD slot (FULL SIZE)
Mini-SD slot
USB (keyboard, USB drive)
More memory (128gb)
3+ MP back Camera
Back and/or Front camera LED light
Smaller or lighter
Stereo speakers
Stand mount hard point (screw hole, notch, tab, etc)
Ambient temperature
Radiation detector
Tachyon accelerator
Blago analyzer

PS: Retina Screen is a given.

I went for the mini sd slot...That would be handy. Unsure about portable Tachyon accelerators, could become unstable:D

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I would disagree about the retina screen being a given. For that reason I chose "other". Really the only two things I want from the iPad 3 is a retina screen and a Facetime HD camera on the front. I would be happy with only those two improvements.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Poll is junk without 7.85" option.

Personally I'm holding out for retina and maybe 3-d. Jobs' Pixar makes great 3-d movies that you can't play in 3-d on an Apple product.

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
SD slot is worthless. All the good cameras use CompactFlash. Everyone I know has to use the USB port adapter and basically ditch the senseless SD one.

Even better, dont clutter and uglify it with expansion ports.

I'm gonna use phone or real camera for photos. Rear would can be totally cut, just leave face camera for video conf.

Retina display or bust.

I agree. All the SLR's I have use CF. Only point and shoot cams use SD.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Browser and gta 3 to crash less.

Maybe an samoled+ screen.

I don't really think the current iPad is missing anything.

Does it crash a lot on the iPad 2? I own it on the Mac and was thinking about purchasing on iOS (any difference besides touch controls)?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Does it crash a lot on the iPad 2? I own it on the Mac and was thinking about purchasing on iOS (any difference besides touch controls)?

My fianceé has it and hers doesn't crash at all, but mine crashes a lot. I've attempted the current mission about five times and every time it just closes back to the home screen.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I agree. All the SLR's I have use CF. Only point and shoot cams use SD.

My Nikon D90 uses SD cards. While it may not be a professional level camera, it's certainly not a point and shoot either.

In fact Nikon uses SD only all the way up to the D7000 (which has dual slots). The D300s has both a CF and SD slot.

Last edited:

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
Other: An optional, relatively fine-tipped active stylus. This would be a major boon for drawing, note taking, and image editing on the iPad. It would not replace the standard finger input. Just supplement it. With the ability to electonically distinguish between finger and pen it could even open the door to unique interface methods. Like in a drawing app you could use two fingers to dynamically place a virtual ruler which the pen's line would then "snap" to. Or in any app with text you could drag the stylus across to make an immediate selection.

Now I know third are third party active styluses coming out soon. At last one of which will supposedly have a decent level of app support. But pretty much everyone would be jumping in line to support an official Apple product. It could even have basic support at the operating system level.

---

The camera connection kit fills my SD card needs. The only thing is that it would be nice if you could preview pictures in full screen before transferring them. But then that's just a software issue.

I'd like this. As of now, the iPad is useless for taking notes - all that's missing is a good stylus of some kind. I've bought one (alupen), but it's far too imprecise to make pages of notes with formulas etc.

I'd like retina-display too, of course.

The things in the list: nothing I really feel I need/really want.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
The only thing I can think of to make my ipad2 more user friendly would for it to be less fragile. I wouldn't mind if apple beefed the body up, made it rubberised perhaps or, better still , made it waterproof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.