What keeps you on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

We all know there's a ton of other phones out there (specifically, Android phones) with nice big screens, file systems, Flash, better Google service integration, customizability, more APIs, real multitasking, quick toggles for settings, ect, ect, ect...

But there's something holding you back. There's stuff that you can't live without on our iPhone. What are those things for you? Think less about why you don't like Android, and more about the things about iOS you do like. No need to talk about Android battery life, stability, ect. Be specific, too. For example, instead of "Better integration with my Apple products" say something like "I can sync my photos and music with my Mac flawlessly"

Happy sharing!

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

AirPlay with my Apple TV, Air mirroring, photo stream, iTunes, excellent music player etc.

3. Brazzy macrumors regular

What's the difference between iPhone multitasking and the real multitasking android phones have?

iTunes and iOS are probably my biggest reasons for staying with iPhone.

I've had the iPhone for four years and have yet to see a phone that has tempted me to leave the iPhone.

4. kierennyc macrumors regular

I believe its 'real multitasking' on android, ie you can actually leave apps running in the background (on iOS it freezes the app while its in the background).

5. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Apple brand, their taste, their vision

enough said

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

App store.
    I know android has marketplace, but my impression is that it's generally lower quality freeware rubbish. I'm not saying there's no good apps for android, but there are so many more for iPhone.
    I've been wrestling with the choice of sticking with my iPhone 4 and getting a 6 when it comes out, or getting the HTC sensation or Nexus. Everytime it's the app store (and to a certain extent, 4 years of app acquiting and "investment") that keeps me on iPhone.

7. rgarjr, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Nothing keeps me on ti. I, on a regular basis switch back and forth between my 4S and the SG2. They both got their advantages but the iPhone is looking rather dated.

9. duellos macrumors member

Definitely Accessories for the iphone 4/S, there so many out there to customize it with. The market for accessories are almost endless for apple products.

10. silverblack, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Integration with the whole Apple (Macs, iOS) ecosystem. iCloud. (iCal, contacts, bookmark sync, notes sync...). Too many to list!

Siri (most user friendly for visual impaired)

Magnifying glass for placing cursor in text.

Security.

Support (technical from Apple, warranty, accessories, parts availability, much larger user base on any given hardware).

Native find my iPhone feature.

Real spell check.

Build in handwriting recognition. Multiple language support out of the box.

High resale value.

Best app availability, easy app sharing with family, easy app gifting. Allows me to share them with kids using iPod touch.

Mute button.

Most importantly, data backup for entire phone to both computer (optional wirelessly) and iCloud - all native, not 3rd party apps involved.

11. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Amazing device.
    Apple fan.
    Stunningly fluid OS.
    Great apps.
    High resale value.
    Bragging rights.
    Integration with my other Apple products.
    Excellent customer service.
    Great keyboard.
    Great camera.

12. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

13. padapada macrumors regular

14. MonsterRain macrumors member

This.

Also, two things have caused a few of my co-workers to switch from Android to iPhone. The dual-core in this phone is so much more apparent than the Android phones. Everything's lightning fast. Moving from app to app, the time it takes to start a game, just everything. This, and the multi-tasking.

iOS has "real multitasking" when it needs it. The audible app for example...you can leave the app while downloading something, come back a few minutes later, and it'll be done. The multi-tasking thing that impressed my co-worker was the fact that I was running virtually every app on my phone at once. His Android couldn't handle anywhere near that many.

Something I'd like to add to the list, ability to recover from a freezing phone without having to pull the battery. My phone froze once on me, recently. I couldn't power it down. I couldn't return to the home screen. I couldn't even get the keyboard off the screen. Plugging USB into computer...no dice. Wouldn't even recognize the phone. In the Android world, it'd be time to pull the battery. iPhone? Nope. Double tap the home button. App-switch thing comes up still. Kill all programs. On-screen keyboard goes away and the phone's un-frozen.

I had 2 android phones after the 3GS. Those with larger screens, better cameras, and faster processors. They still lagged. The 4" screen they use still doesn't look as good as the 3.5" retina (including the Evo 3D on that). The camera had a yellow-ish tinge on it, and was somewhat grainy compared to the really sharp 4S cam (Not zoomed in, you could see the eyes of a dachshund from 6.5 feet up clear as day).

iPhone's just so much better in every conceivable way than the competition.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple's amazing cover flow on iPod. No one comes close.

Their apple store and great customer service...

Samsung service sucks and most of device makers just refer you to carrier stores for device and blame google for software.

I don't like that one bit.

16. macinmac macrumors member

macinmac

I will say also integration with my other apple products that I own...but mostly the feel of IT !!! It feels right in my hand, I find the display perfect and the material - it's something else(what apple has always done with their products).
    To me it's most stylish-beautiful phone on the market(my opinion).

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Freedom of choice and disposable income are the main reasons what people have.

I trust apples products and it's customer service.

18. lovish macrumors member

Greatly described...

I was on ios and shifted to android and man I miss ios like hell.. ios has a magic that no other platform can have be it android or windows.. using IOS gives you an happiness from inside.. its true... :)

Love is eternal - Albus dumbledore

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The limited choice.

Seriously, if I went Android, I'd always hate my phone after two weeks. Just got the latest and greatest Galaxy S II, oh no wait now there's a Galaxy Nexus, oh wait now a Motorola Droid X-II-Billion now a Galaxy S III...

With iPhone's, you get one a year. Simple as. Plus there's all that great support and apps and stuff, but who needs that...

20. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Physical design and form factor.

As much as I like iOS, I like Android just as much. Just I honestly do think the top range phones on Android are too big and they don't look or feel anywhere as near as good.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, ...

1. my excellent experiences with Apple products and service in the past.
    2. the ecosystem (music, photos, videos, documents), although I reserve judgment on iCloud until more MacOS X applications support it.
    3. the design of the iPhone, for it is durable (in my hands) but elegant.
    4. the quality of the apps that I need in the App Store. I know there is also a lot of dross, but I can get really good apps for what I need at home and at work.
    5. iOS seems to be somewhat more secure than other OS's.
    6. I don't see viable alternatives yet. I have to say I really dislike the Android UI so far, although I find WP7 intriguing and think it might be a competitor at some point in the future. I also do not like selling my digital soul (and personal information) to Google, whose real customers are advertisers.

22. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

The week I've spent with an Android 2.3 device. Android is just too fidly. Theres little or no consistency in the UI from one app to another. The 'true multitasking' is a pain or the exact reason Apple said. It chomps up the battery and your forever killing tasks that hen re-spawn all n their own.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Android. Compared to windows CE and pocket PC or Symbian, it's excellent. But it's just not a patch on iOS.
    I would like the shortcuts to setting thing Android has. It's a fath getting to join VPN setting when I need to.

23. rkeato1 macrumors regular

1. Apple elegance
    2. App store
    3. Ease of use
    4. Integration with my other Apple devices

24. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Like everyone else, there are many reasons. But the main ones are that if I have a problem, I can merely go to the local Apple store for help. You can't do that with HTC or Samsung.
    In fact, try calling HTC for support on your phone. See what happens.
    The ecosystem of iDevices is, while not perfect, one of the very best out there. It works on the phone, touch, pad, shuffle, tv, etc. They all tied into it. So you're not out there learning different processes for different devices.

But the main thing for me is that Apple stands by it products with its own service. They don't shove service to the background and pretend their stuff is perfect.
    I can count on apple to support what they sell.

25. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yumunum: why do you want to know this?
    What is your real purpose?
    Free Market Research?

My initial answer is: everything!