What Kind of Poster Are You?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Nov 9, 2011.

?

What Kind of Poster Are You?

1. Conversational - I read the whole thread and engage everyone involved

37 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. Oblivious - I just read the OP and hit the "post reply" button, I don't care what others have said

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've noticed in my interactions here at MacRumors Forums that posters tend to be of two types.

The Conversational Poster:
    This poster seeks to engage in the topic as raised by the OP, but takes into account other posters that have joined the discussion. The focus is on the coversation as a whole and respect is given to the entire thread. This, of course, means that one actually reads the whole thread so as not to miss important information. This way the duplication of information can be avoided as the poster is educated about what exactly has transpired in the conversation.

The Oblivious and Ignorant Poster:
    This poster is oblivious and ignorant of anything beyond the OP. They do not care to see what has actually occurred in the conversation, they just post their thoughts solely in relation to the OP. It doesn't matter to them if they have missed key information along the way, it's just a matter of point counter point with the OP.

I'm not saying either method is better than the other and I'm certainly guilty of both posting styles. But, as a whole, what kind of poster are you?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I ignore all but 10 members so I guess you can consider me the oblivious poster. You're clearly one of 10 I don't ignore. :p

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I typically only post if I feel I have something relevant to add to the conversation
    If the question has already been answered, I don't feel the need to answer it again
    If they poster wants opinions, I may add to a suggestion already made to support it

PS jessica. won't see this post, so tell her what I said :D

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think I'm a conversational poster...Most of the time when I enter a discussion in a thread, it's so far off topic from the OP, that I couldn't be an oblivious/ignorant poster if I tried.

Or that's my justification for not wanting to call myself ignorant. ;)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I tend to respond to any post in a thread. I don't just limit myself to the original post.

7. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I'll read through 99% of the thread (skipping insanely long posts) and add anything if I can. Mostly I just browse.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm more the oblivious poster with a healthy side of pointing out all the stupidity. :D

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Read some of the posts, ignore the long ones...

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Test, test, test. Is this thing on??? ;)

Conversational, I guess, although I can get more than a little annoyed at all the repetition in PRSI by some members (in the genital sense of the word).

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

A bit of both but mostly conversational. When it's a fairly long thread I'll skim it to get the general idea and post.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Like iBlue (see? I'm reading!), I try to read the whole thread unless it gets long.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No you don't really need 8GB or RAM.

Wait what...? :confused:

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I read the OP, and then the most recent page (and possibly a bit of the previous page if I feel it's necessary). Sometimes I'll still just reply to the OP though if I feel I have something to say that hasn't been said before.

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

18. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

There is a third kind of poster. The person that gets butt hurt and seeks to discover the deeper meaning behind why it happened.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with the above, which is pretty much my position, too. In general, I try to read the entire thread - unless it is extremely long, although I've read threads of over 100 posts (often, the wildly controversial and emotional ones) as it seemed somehow pointless to contribute unless one had actually looked at the flow of conversation and argument - sometimes skimming very long posts. However, I'll only post if I feel I have something to contribute to the discussion or argument, or to support something already said.

20. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Well played indeed. You both gave me quite the chuckle. :D

Because I'm curious and as a social and behavioral observer I like to interact with those in the community on an interpersonal level, both for my own satisfaction and for the opportunity of relational growth.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

A bit of both. If it's a long thread, there's no way Imma read the whole thing.

Typically, the first several posts or first page, then the first few posts on subsequent pages, and/or the last few posts on each page. Then, Reply.

22. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'm kind of an oblivious conversationalist. I like to respond to others thoughts if it intrigues or pesters me, but sometimes I just throw my two cents out there and move on. Moving on now...

23. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

24. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^Oh, I think you already know.

I'd say I'm a conversational poster.

However, if the thread gets too long for my tastes, I usually don't even bother posting in it. I seem to have stopped posting in the front page story threads because most comments seem to get lost in the hundreds of posts that those threads generate.

I've been pretty busy lately, so I tend to stick to my subscribed threads, but I try to wonder into other threads via the Spy as often as I can.