What kind of spider is this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Jun 7, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'd say he looks like a common Wolf Spider.

The black ones (supposedly) don't bite and only go after other bugs and stuff. The brown ones may bite. At least, that's what I heard.

I'd say he's harmless enough. If you really don't like him being there, just take him outside and let him go. EDIT: They've got an article on Wikipedia about them (if indeed that's what your little friend there is) and they say in there some people like having them around for their choice of prey.

3. CarlosG macrumors member

I am considering moving to Australia (I think Brisbane) and as a Brit I have to admit I am worried about spiders just like that one of yours getting into shoes, bedding, clothes, etc. (We don't have anything remotely like that!)

Anyway, I don't know what it is, sorry.

4. Mollemand macrumors regular

I lived in Brisbane for two years, and being a Dane I had the same concerns you are expressing. Trust me the ones you want to stay clear of are much smaller than that one. And you do get used to sharing your bed room with them, and generaly coexist.

When I was there there was a epidemic of red-backs (they are venomous). Fast little buggers in their webs, but quite helpless ones outside of it. You leave them in their web, and they'll leave you alone. I'll advice you to familiarize yourself with the species so you know which ones to avoid though.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's a jumping spider, see if you can get him on a horizontal surface and you'll see what I mean. We have heaps of them around, they seem pretty harmless.

Thumb size is not massive.

Just going back for a better look - arachnophobic you see.

EDIT - OK, that second photo makes it look totally different - time to hit it with the Mortein till it's dead.

My last spider thread: Atrax Robustus - The Funnel Web Spider

6. GradientMac macrumors regular

GradientMac

AH! KILL IT!

I can't put my feet on the ground now that I looked at that picture. It might crawl over my foot.

Gahh.

Get some.. Raid or something... ah.

7. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

omg that spider is there to tell you about the New 3G iPhone...let it talk..dont kill it

actually kill it.. i hate spiders

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Don't kill it :(. It's harmless and is only trying to get by eating mosquitos and flies.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Put your panties on woman, then it won't get into your privates.

Killing poisonous spiders just makes sense, but not harmless ones.

They eat lots of biting insects you don't like either.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Typical response from a northern hemisphere dweller - your spiders are all cute little friendly types.

Here it's kill or be killed, some of our spiders have been know to carry a dillinger strapped to one of their legs to use as a last resort.

11. GradientMac macrumors regular

GradientMac

Killing spiders even if they're harmless makes sense. They're annoying and they are repulsive and disgusting. I kill flies too, but those flies don't really do anything. I kill beetles if they come near me, and I'm sure you do too.

^I live in Canada to and they scare me shizzless. :)

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

if that spider were in my house, it would be a deadus spiderus.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha nice

i hate bugs

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Hey man, it's not all spider-free land up here. I got bit by a spider with a 2 1/2 inch leg span yesterday! And I live in the frozen North.

15. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

16. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm in Wisconsin, to answer one of your questions.

I've tried to release him, but he won't go (I open the window and he won't crawl out). So I am just going to keep him captive in between the screen and window until Frank dies. We live in the country (sort of) and since moving in (new house, three years) we have had a number of these creatures. Several have been in the house. I always win when we do battle. They die easy but they are like star track athletes - fast little devils. No match for my stamina, however.

I figure they aren't doing me any good inside the house so I kill them. If they want to be helpful and catch other bugs, go outside.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I said if they are poisonous, then kill them.

Read, please.

And would that be a Derringer?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Threaten it with a can of Lysol, "Leave or else!" :apple:

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They wouldn't be indoors if they couldn't find insects to eat there. They are doing good, even if you don't see them munching down mozzies.

20. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Here, here. Just because it's an ugly little creature doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose - simply because you're scared of something or don't like it is no reason to take it's life away, however small that life may be.

Then again, I'm the type that goes out of my way to avoid stepping on ants on the sidewalk. Take an extra two minutes, trap it, and take it outside and let it go.

21. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Spiders scare me infinitely more than any other creepy-crawly, yet I find them kind of cute, for some strange reason. Maybe a kind of Stockholm Syndrome. :D I never kill them if I can get them outside. Let it free, man...

22. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Ok, so some may have a use. But do they have to litter with the dead remains all along the hall walls? I mean 3000 feet of hall walls, with lots of wrapped dead bugs. Come on now, at least they could take out the trash like everyone else. :D

23. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Im sorry, but I have arachnophobia, and it's like the only thing I hate, I have to kill the spiders, because it is at the point where I won't be able to sleep if I don't. There are so many bugs and spiders it doesn't really matter how many you kill unless you are spraying poisons to stop them.

I go with the I kill the spider if I see it and it is in my way kind of position.

24. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The big, hairy, fast ones I really don't like. But... centipedes trump spiders any day. Those things are so fast and all those legs...... :eek: