Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mshaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Personally I'm looking for something that will fit the MBA snugly but also allow for some room for a notebook or a couple folders. It seems that you have to get a bag that's built more for the macbook but I guess the advantage would be that you could leave it in a sleeve and it would still fit the bag...

Any thoughts?

mshaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Personally I'm looking for something that will fit the MBA snugly but also allow for some room for a notebook or a couple folders. It seems that you have to get a bag that's built more for the macbook but I guess the advantage would be that you could leave it in a sleeve and it would still fit the bag...

Any thoughts?

By notebook i meant a spiral..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hands down the best bag around for the MBA (and I've been through many notebook bags in general) is this Wenger compu-folio.

If you take out their spiral notebook thing you can put your own in. It holds the Air nice and snug and there are reports that there's enough room for a magsafe, a 15" MBP and an Air (just to give you an idea of the size). ;)
Picture 4.png

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
A MBA deserves a quality bag :)

I have a 17" MBP that I take with me in a Mulberry bag: It's heavy, but soft, unstructured leather. It's a flap/briefcase that converts to a backpack with removable straps. All supple black leather with sturdy stainless-steel hardware. Not only does it fit my 17" MBP in its thick sleeve like a glove, there's still room for a MBP-size portfolio and gadgets-galore.

And Mulberry bags will last forever.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I use an Incipio sleeve and an STM Small Alley to carry the MBA in its sleeve together with the charger, notepads, etc.

I also have a Belkin 15" Slim Backpack which I just bought. I think it will also do well carrying the sleeved MBA and other stuff...

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
After trying almost every bag/sleeve for my air, I am now using the INCASE bag. It has pockets for the extras, and a large pocket for papers, etc...

I really like this one.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
I like the inCase bag, but I frequently need something bigger to tote all of my school books around so I love my inCase sleeve. Very tight and handy. Only problem I have is that it seems to be coming apart. I still like it though.

brett33

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2004
Waco, TX
I'm using a timbuk2 commute messenger bag in a medium size, and love it. It has a completely seperate compartment for the air in the back. Up front it has enough space for some papers, magazines etc plus the accessories for the air. I usually travel with a notepad, external portable HD, power adapter with the extension cord, iPod, and headphones. It's snug with everything, but it does fit.

When I'm just toting the air I have one of the SwissGear Portfolios which was discussed in an earlier thread on bags. It's great for traveling light while still being able to store your ipod and power adapter.

mshaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I'm using a timbuk2 commute messenger bag in a medium size, and love it. It has a completely seperate compartment for the air in the back. Up front it has enough space for some papers, magazines etc plus the accessories for the air. I usually travel with a notepad, external portable HD, power adapter with the extension cord, iPod, and headphones. It's snug with everything, but it does fit.

When I'm just toting the air I have one of the SwissGear Portfolios which was discussed in an earlier thread on bags. It's great for traveling light while still being able to store your ipod and power adapter.

Are you referring to the one on the apple website:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjgzMTk1MA&s=topSellers

i was worried that it might be too small to fit an ac adapter

brett33

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2004
Waco, TX
Are you referring to the one on the apple website:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjgzMTk1MA&s=topSellers

i was worried that it might be too small to fit an ac adapter

That's the one.

It is tight and not really meant to fit it, but you can put it in there loose. I put the air in and then just lay the adapter in there and zip it up, haven't had any issues, but I don't keep much else in the folio other than the air the adapter and an pen, and sometimes an iPod.

mshaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for all the replies and links to other discussions folks! This is very helpful!

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Is there something like the aluminum bag that a user posted (the secret agent one) but in the form of a smaller enclosure, case, not a bag per se, I am looking for something that will be less of the merely aesthetically pleasing, light padding mba covers, but an actual enclosur that will protect from bumbs, hitting things etc.

I prefer to use my actual bag than a computer specific one and thus I want something strong to put the air in and not worry about it rubbing or hitting abrasive material or drops of the bag.... Do the polyurethene sleeves offer any impact protect other than just the scratch protection?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.