What laptop bag/case are you using for MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mshaf, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mshaf macrumors member

Personally I'm looking for something that will fit the MBA snugly but also allow for some room for a notebook or a couple folders. It seems that you have to get a bag that's built more for the macbook but I guess the advantage would be that you could leave it in a sleeve and it would still fit the bag...

Any thoughts?

2. mshaf thread starter macrumors member

By notebook i meant a spiral..

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hands down the best bag around for the MBA (and I've been through many notebook bags in general) is this Wenger compu-folio.

If you take out their spiral notebook thing you can put your own in. It holds the Air nice and snug and there are reports that there's enough room for a magsafe, a 15" MBP and an Air (just to give you an idea of the size). ;)
    Picture 4.png

4. suburbia macrumors 6502

A MBA deserves a quality bag :)

I have a 17" MBP that I take with me in a Mulberry bag: It's heavy, but soft, unstructured leather. It's a flap/briefcase that converts to a backpack with removable straps. All supple black leather with sturdy stainless-steel hardware. Not only does it fit my 17" MBP in its thick sleeve like a glove, there's still room for a MBP-size portfolio and gadgets-galore.

And Mulberry bags will last forever.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

I use an Incipio sleeve and an STM Small Alley to carry the MBA in its sleeve together with the charger, notepads, etc.

I also have a Belkin 15" Slim Backpack which I just bought. I think it will also do well carrying the sleeved MBA and other stuff...

6. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I agree. And its small enough that you don't need to limit yourself to a "computer bag".

I use a protective sleeve and am a fan of the "Work" series of bags by Mandarina Duck.

7. McGilli macrumors 6502

For small trips I use a TUCANO sleeve - but when I am taking it on the road - and need to throw it in my car etc then I use a 14" aluminum briefcase - specifically made for laptops - with a little room for extra folders and superdrive etc..

http://www.matias.ca/laptoparmor/la1215a/index.php

8. mikey28 macrumors 6502

After trying almost every bag/sleeve for my air, I am now using the INCASE bag. It has pockets for the extras, and a large pocket for papers, etc...

I really like this one.

9. RayK macrumors 6502

I like the inCase bag, but I frequently need something bigger to tote all of my school books around so I love my inCase sleeve. Very tight and handy. Only problem I have is that it seems to be coming apart. I still like it though.

10. faxao macrumors regular

11. justit macrumors 6502a

12. brett33 macrumors member

I'm using a timbuk2 commute messenger bag in a medium size, and love it. It has a completely seperate compartment for the air in the back. Up front it has enough space for some papers, magazines etc plus the accessories for the air. I usually travel with a notepad, external portable HD, power adapter with the extension cord, iPod, and headphones. It's snug with everything, but it does fit.

When I'm just toting the air I have one of the SwissGear Portfolios which was discussed in an earlier thread on bags. It's great for traveling light while still being able to store your ipod and power adapter.

13. mshaf thread starter macrumors member

Are you referring to the one on the apple website:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjgzMTk1MA&s=topSellers

i was worried that it might be too small to fit an ac adapter

14. brett33 macrumors member

That's the one.

It is tight and not really meant to fit it, but you can put it in there loose. I put the air in and then just lay the adapter in there and zip it up, haven't had any issues, but I don't keep much else in the folio other than the air the adapter and an pen, and sometimes an iPod.

15. mshaf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies and links to other discussions folks! This is very helpful!

16. HondaSUV4WD macrumors newbie

17. kinkster macrumors 6502a

18. justit macrumors 6502a

19. pstoehr macrumors member

20. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Is there something like the aluminum bag that a user posted (the secret agent one) but in the form of a smaller enclosure, case, not a bag per se, I am looking for something that will be less of the merely aesthetically pleasing, light padding mba covers, but an actual enclosur that will protect from bumbs, hitting things etc.

I prefer to use my actual bag than a computer specific one and thus I want something strong to put the air in and not worry about it rubbing or hitting abrasive material or drops of the bag.... Do the polyurethene sleeves offer any impact protect other than just the scratch protection?

21. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

I use either a Tom Bihn Ristretto bag: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0223

or when I am just carrying the Air I use an inCase neoprene sleeve with my Rev B.

My girlfriend is using a linen sleeve from wrappers.typepad.com with a Rev A Air.

22. mshaf thread starter macrumors member

23. rhyx macrumors 6502