what lightscribe drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lil' brudder, May 18, 2008.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Our church is possibly going to get a mac pro to replace our current windoze projection system. This system will also be used to edit/record video and then burn it onto a DVD. My question is, what lightscribe drive will work well that will fit as seamlessly as possible in the Mac Pro's drive bay? Cheap is good, but quality is better, so if you can find a good balance that would be very helpful

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is there LightScribe software for OS X? I didn't think so...

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes there is, couldnt recommend a drive though

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You could have fooled me! ;)

I have a LaCie Lightscribe external DVD burner, with LaCie LightScribe Labeler software.

Works fine. Note, burning the label takes a while.

As for the content, I can burn using OS X or Toast.

5. Tbarr macrumors member

Your choices are pretty much Lite-On or Samsung. I have seen more people report problems with the Lite-On than the Samsung. My Lite-On would not fit in my 2008 Mac Pro. It wouldn't clear the drive door. And, it died at the young age of 12 months. My Samsung 202N fits fine. Both LaCie and OWC are using Samsungs in their external enclosures. I got mine here;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151155

You can find the Required Lightscribe System software here;
    http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/mac/index.aspx

Your choices of Labeling software are the LaCie (from LaCie), Disc Cover (Toast), or Simple Labeler from the Lightscribe site. I use the Retail version of Disc Cover.

Good Luck

6. cube macrumors G5

LG doesn't fit?

7. Tbarr macrumors member

Don't know...
    Haven't heard of anyone using a LG in a Mac Pro... so, I neglected to mention it. It might work... then again, it might not! Optiarc has a new drive out that's supposed to be good, but I haven't seen the Lightscribe version in the US yet. I'd be willing to try the Optiarc, if you could find it.

8. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

I used to use LightScribe last year, but not on a Mac.

I suggest finding an inexpensive printer that will print on CDs. Generally, the printer will print faster. LightScribe high quality graphics took 10 minutes, and the contrast is poor (light gray being "white", a somewhat darker gray being "black", as well as not being color.

My printer takes about 45 seconds to print full color, high quality onto a printable disc. There's no comparison, it really pops compared to the dingy lightscribe, making lightscribe look very unprofessional in my opinion. I think printable discs are cheaper than lightscribe discs too. The look is more consistent, some lightscribe discs clearly had more contrast than others. The only advantage that lightscribe might have is that it doesn't require a printer and it won't ever smudge, the printing on a printed CD/DVD might smudge if you get it wet.

9. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. I can't image why Lightscribe has caught on at all. Better to go for an inexpensive Epson printer and buy inkjet printable CDs.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you live in a humid area, or the CD may come in contact with moisture of any type, this may not be a good solution. The label will run. Laser printed labels are much better than ink jet printed labels in this regard.

Regarding Lightscribe. The big negative is the time it takes to burn the label. Once done, they do look nice.

11. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought labels were bad because they peel off in your drive? or do you mean actually printing on the disc itself?

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When I used to use labels, I found some to be good but many would just peel off after use. If you find a good brand that works, then you are okay.

Printing on the disc is much better. However, even the best ink jet printers do not print permanently on the disc. Damp fingers, high humidity, a drop of liquid from a glass can completely ruin the label.

A couple months ago I was down in Akihabara and saw a display of a new label print technology. I dampened my finger and then picked up the disc. Well, the ink ran/smudged as expected.

Someday this may change. I must say that the technology has improved considerably over the years, but it's just not there yet ink jet printer wise.

That is the benefit of Lightscribe as it is a much more permanent type of label.

13. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

For labeling, I would recommend Disc Label by Smile on my Mac. I have used it for a while now, and it does an excellent job with lightscribe. Here is the link: http://www.smileonmymac.com/DiscLabel/

14. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Can anyone post a picture of what their lightscribe discs look like? The ones on the lightscribe site are nice, but look photoshopped. I want to see "real world" results before I buy one.

15. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Simple point and shoot shot, no color adjustments made:

http://demaagd.com/gr/lightscribecd.jpg

That's about what they look like for me. Maybe others get better results. It's using an LG drive & Nero software.

16. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Taiyo Yuden makes a disc called WaterShield that I've started using for short runs of CDs and archive work. I haven't personally dunked a disc yet, but the ink dries instantly, no smudging with a finger. They've made quality discs for a while and the coating is a nice improvement.

17. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Cool, keep em comin' guys. What have you done with lightscribe?

18. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, we have a copy of that already that we use with our iMac g3 (the program is rather slow on the computer, and it still keeps up with what we ask it to do) and an external drive, and I'm pretty sure we are gonna stick with lightscribe, I just need to know which drive would make clearance in the mac pro's drive bay slot and that would work well.

19. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Why do you want a light scribe drive anyway?

the built in drive on almost all macs can burn DVDs anyway

20. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it's not a matter of burning the DVDs as it is burning labels, not to mention that we will only order the system with 1 superdrive, so there will be one open anyway.

21. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I suppose that makes sense though I would just use a sharpie and save allot of money.

22. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

If it's to be handled by customers and such, then having something that looks nice is a consideration. As much as I said I didn't like lightscribe look, it's still more professional looking than using a sharpie, and it can't be wiped either, which may be a consideration for archives.

23. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

This is pretty much what mine look like. I use an external with my mac pro. They are good for permanent, professional labels, although I think printing to disc may be more snazzy and eye catching.

24. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

and it doesn't have to look amazing either anyway, we honestly don't use that many

25. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I think the light scribe is very cool. Sure using a full color ink jet would make a real snazzy label but you have to worry about smudging. Don't forget the price of color ink!
    You also don't want to use any stickers or labels, as they can add weight to the disc and cause them to be unbalanced. Wreaking havoc on dvd players.

I have hundreds of cd's and dvd's, and I have used a sharpie on all of them.
    They look like crap. As I have relay bad hand writing.

Sometimes I have to share or present my work to others. I feal let down some times when I hand over my hard work with crappie sharpie markings on it. ''less professional''.