What little iPhone secret....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomasfxlt, Oct 18, 2007.

1. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

does the 26th hold for us. We've all heard that the introduction of Leopard is likely to bring a software update for the iPhone. What is everyone's best guess for a potential iPhone surprise next week. (features, applications or software enhancements)

I'd like to see iWork. I think document editing capability would be a great enhancement. Being able to use the iPhone to play a Keynote presentation using the video out to a projector would be great.

2. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I'm trying not to get my hopes up..but iWork would be awesome.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I don't think we will get anything on the 26th. Maybe Next month we'll get a security update or something. Just my opinion.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, and somehow our iPhones will magically sync with the new OS.

;)

5. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

iWork would be awesome indeed, lets just hope the update that brings it is easy to crack!

Disclaimer: I am not complaining that it will most likely break hacks, just being hopeful!

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

why expect anything? i doubt we'll see an update to the iphone unless apple pulls a "leopard for iphone" surprise out of left field.

7. thomasfxlt thread starter macrumors 6502

It's just for fun my friend. That's why I said "potential".:)

8. Marcjcd macrumors member

I agree... security updates only from this point for a while.

9. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Until the SDK in February at least you say?

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

11. thomasfxlt thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be my second "hope".

12. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I wouldn't count on it. I think as the SDK approaches the iPhone will become much more challenging to hack.

13. JPyre macrumors 6502

iPhone syncs with iTunes, soo theres not much to expect. You may see the ability to sync notes, thats about it. I doubt you'll see iWork on the phone, but it's possible, and has nothing to do with Leopard. I'm sure Apple doesn't want to alienate Win users with Leopard only syncing features, but hey, they have already.

14. Marcjcd macrumors member

You are correct because as you look through the 300 new features in Leopard it seems to me that only the ability to sync notes applies to the iphone. So, maybe that but I wouldnt expect anything else on the update front for a while. The announcement of applications coming in Feb. will slow any feature updates down AND keep all of us happy knowing something is on the way.

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

if apple does release an update, they know it'll have to have a feature that is highly requested for people to upgrade and thus lose their jailbroken phone.

16. thomasfxlt thread starter macrumors 6502

Pages opens and edits Word docs. Numbers does the same for Excel files. Keynote can open a PP file. Might be a good move, but your point about Win users is valid. Since all of the apps also can export MS Office files, iWork would be OS independent for Win users. Interesting.

17. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I remember a week or two after the iPhone came out there was a huge rumor about the awesome software update that was going to come in October with Leopard. I don't know if this rumor will actually come true or not, but I wouldn't complain.

If they do release a new update, here is what I would like to see:

iChat
    Copy/paste
    Widescreen layout and keyboard for email, SMS, and Notes
    Flash player
    Movable icons on home screen
    Ability to use custom tones for text messages
    New sound options for email, voicemail, and calendar
    Wallpaper able to be used as an actual wallpaper instead of only seeing it when the phone is locked.

I know it is unlikely that all of these would come in one update, but I would accept any of these changes in an update.

18. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I am not so sure, due to the fact that with the sdk, the phone will have to interact even more with iTunes, and the more interaction the phone has with iTunes there are more potential places for exploits.

19. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Actually, I Don't think a lot of people Jailbreak their iPhone just seems that way to us.

20. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Good point. But you have a dedicated effort to close the iPhone at some level. It may be a soft level where some unauthorized 3rd party aps may be able to sneak in.

21. projectle macrumors 6502

The only enhancement that we will get is syncing... More than likely it will just be a new iTunes that enables this, though.

22. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

The thing is that the way I see it is that if "some" unauthorized apps eventually sneak into the phone then the rest eventually will also, I don't know, but in my point of view either all apps will evntually enter, or none at all. Also take into consideration that udate thru update has been broken, so even if there is a dedicated effort to close the iPhone, there is another big one dedicated to crack it.

23. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

October is for Leopard. You won't see a thing for iPhone until November, at least.

Besides, I heard Apple had to steal programmers from the iPhone to finish Leopard in time... ;)

24. thomasfxlt thread starter macrumors 6502

You may be right, but I think Apple is holding a "holiday" card. They released the new iPods very early and I suspect they're holding something back waiting for other players to show their hands. I'm guessing it's additional software for the iPhone. JMO

25. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Something soon. I wouldnt get my hopes up for the 26th, but maybe. I know we will be getting some stuff with leopard, like notes syncing, so something is coming soon.