What Mac Comp. Are Best For My Mother And I ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psgangman, Feb 23, 2010.

1. psgangman macrumors newbie

WHAT MAC COMP. ARE BEST FOR MY MOTHER AND I ?

Ok so recently My mother and I have decieded to buy a Mac Desktop and a Mac Laptop, but we do not know which ones to buy. My Mother has been looking at the Imac 21.5-inch: 3.06GHz and I have been looking at the Macbook Air 2.13GHz & Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.66ghz. I dont know if the Macbook Air is a good choice because the lack of port and superdrive ( Even though I plan on buying the external drive anyway), but because we plan on getting an iMac it also wont be my primary machine, but just my personal laptop .

So is the Macbook Air a good choice since I can use the iMac for the heavy stuff or should I get the Macbook Pro?

My uses for the Macbook Air 2.13 ghz or Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.66 ghz:
    -Buy music from itunes and Transfering it to my ipod
    -Typing Documents on Microsoft Office
    - And Web Browsing
    - Im not concern with (Gaming, Photoshop....) just the basics

My Mothers Uses for IMac:
    -Buy music from itunes and Transfering it to my ipod
    -Typing Documents on Microsoft Office
    - And Web Browsing
    - Faxing and Work

**** Does Any one know if the problems on past models of the Macbook Air has been fixed on the New Mid 2009 Models****

- over Heating Problem
    -Youtube videos

Also do you think the Macbook Air 2.13 ghz can hold 559 itunes items ( 32.87 gb) of songs and videos with out slowing down the Laptop & How are Youtube videos play on the Macbook Air?

Thanks Allot for all your help and Time I really need a users opinion on this :)

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Newbies, take note. That ^^^ is how to properly write a "Which computer is right for me" thread.

psgangman, in my opinion the Macbook Air would work just fine for your needs. You might want to look into SSD options, but those really cramp how much you can put on the computer. As long as you have 10-15GB of free space you shouldn't really notice any slowing of your computer.

3. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!! I was thinking the Same thing, I also like the design

4. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Nicely said! I like the format too ^_^. But yeah... to the OP. The Macbook Air sounds fine for your needs. As for the space question... I think it would actually do fine without slowing down. I think an SSD option would be good but as said... it will constrain the amount of space you will have for storage. If you got the cash then SSD but if not.... the regular hdd is fine. As for the iMac... sounds fine to me. processor speed is good :D. Hope you are able to choose.

-Tony

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Welcome to the forums! Neither you or your mother should have any issues with YouTube on either computer, or using either computer with the work you want to use them for.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I disagree about getting the MacBook Air.

Get a MacBook Pro instead.

In my opinion, the MBA is intended to be a "second computer" offering portability and lightness, but at the expense of flexibility.

The MBPro gives you all kinds of ports, a DVD/CD drive, greater capacity hard drive, video out, a faster CPU - for the same money, or less.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

For what you need it for, a MacBook (not Pro) would serve your needs and save you $. Mom's choice will be excellent for what you plan to do.

8. glasscity macrumors member

For what you're looking to do on your computer, you don't need a macbook pro, or even really a macbook air.

You'll be more than happy with a regular ol' macbook. I recently purchased one, and if you upgrade the ram to 4 gigs, for what it's worth, you'll have enough computer for now, and for years to come.

Get the macbook for yourself.

As for your mom, the imac she's looking at seems perfect. I was choosing between the macbook or the imac when I purchased my mac, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

9. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you !!! I've heard complaints about the Macbook Air being bad at playing Youtube videos but guess that since Apple update it in Mid 2009 that problem does not exist.

10. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnx!! The Macbook Air will be my secondary computer (just something to use when my mother is on the imac), That's why I was interested in it because of the design.

11. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have an mid 2009 MacBook air and can give me an honest review about it

12. delux246 macrumors member

There should be an update coming soon for the mbair soon so unless you NEED it now I would wait until the new one comes out. Go ahead and buy the iMac because they're not due for an update for a while...

13. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

You can definitely buy a MacBook Air to suit your needs.

Can your mother buy a Mac Mini with an Apple Cinema Display? I'm sure it's cheaper.. or maybe even just a non-Apple display. It will save you some money.

14. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm Really considering the Macbook Pro 13 inch 2.53 ghz now.I think that it would be just as good as and Macbook Air or maybe even better. Since the Macbook Pro 13inch is cheaper and has more rham.

Do you think that I'm making a good choice with the Macbook Pro 13inch for $1499 instead of the Macbook Air for $1799?

15. Mew2468 macrumors regular

I love my 13" MacBook Pro and in my opinion, it would be better to get it because you could upgrade the components more as you go; it's more versatile. The only reason I would get the MBA now is if you needed an extremely light laptop to bring many places. (The MacBook Pro isn't very heavy at all.)

16. delux246 macrumors member

I think the MBPro is a better buy also, but as I said above, the MBAir and MBPro should be coming out with a new model soon. If you can wait a few weeks, you should. Go get the iMac now if you haven't already.

p.s. I'm also waiting on the MBPro update...

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just wait for the update, whenever that may be.

18. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think the Macbook Pro 15 inch $1999 is worth the extra Money than a Macbook Pro 13 inch $14999

19. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Assuming you meant $1499 (!), I would say not if you were planning on getting the 13" MBA originally, and from what you said your uses would be. That's $250 per extra inch. However, if you really are planning on using the laptop as YOUR primary, and you can afford to spend 2G's, those couple of extra inches of screen real estate may make a world of difference for you, but you're the only one who can answer that. You sounded like you pretty much had decided on a 13" screen when you first posted, but if you can wait until the refresh, do so, because a new possible MBA might really have an influence on your decision.

20. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I would say you should buy Air...its a great machine

21. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Get the 13" Pro. It's more bang for your buck. It's not as light as the Air but it's still pretty damn light.

22. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

MBP>MBA :D
    You don't have to worry about bringing a DVD drive with you :D

23. psgangman thread starter macrumors newbie

This Is the order of Which Mac Laptop I Prefer

#1. Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.66 ghz $1999 - A little bit to expensive, because my moms also wants a iMac and I dont want to have her spend too much

#2. Macbook Air 2.13 ghz (Mid 2009) $1799 - Not too expensive and mother approves of this price, but worried about how youtube videos are with the Macbook Air, even though thanks to you guys I know it fits my needs ( I have no doubt with that). Does any one have a Macbook Air and can they tell me how youtube videos play on it?

#3. Macbook Pro 13 inch $1499 - I don't like this model too much because it just seems so typical to get. I prefer the Air or 15 inch Pro but would get this one if I had no choice.

NOT INTERESTED IN THE ORIGINAL PLAN MACBOOK AT ALL

24. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

The mini is awesome. I love mine =). I actually might be selling my entire
    setup:
    Mac mini 2.26 GHZ Upgraded 4gb DDR3 Ram, 500gb HDD
    Apple wireless kb AND Apple magic mouse
    Acer H233H 23" 1080p monitor
    Sound system
    skin on mac mini
    Microsoft Office 2008
    Apple remote

And everything is only under 4 months old. Still have receipts.

25. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

WHY ARE YOU SELLING?