what Mac should my parents get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrkramer, Apr 29, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My parents are thinking about buying a new computer since our Windows box has been acting weird lately, and they don't want to deal with the viruses and spyware. They don't want to spend a lot of money though so I was thinking that they could get a G4 powermac. what i would like to know is what model would be the closest in power to what they have now which is a P4 at around 2GHZ with I think 512MB Ram. they mostly would use it for internet and Word so could someone recommend a Mac that would be at least the same speed as what they have now for those things.

2. tekmate macrumors newbie

If you already have a monitor and a mouse why not look at the minis. You may have to buy a new keyboard most people still have ps2 but it would certainly be cheaper.

3. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

I agree with tekmate on looking into a Mac Mini. The next step would be the iMacs, which are great machines.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If the new iMacs are too expensive, I'd look for an iMac G5 (At least 17''... No one really wants to use a 15'' screen)

5. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

They like having a tower which is why I was thinking a G4 Powermac, but i may be able to get them to look at iMac G5's How much do those usually go for now?

6. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

For internet and Word, a mini would be great. I'd go with that over an old G4.

I tried to get my parents to buy one, and their "computer savvy" friend told them a pc would be infinitely better... and now they don't use it because the firewall software has screwed it up... so they say, I refuse to look at it.;)

Edit: I can see wanting a tower for expansion, but for Word and internet...?

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i recently upgraded my parents to an C2D iMac. we were looking at minis but just decided to replace everything with the all-in-one. they love how everything fits behind the screen and how cool it looks.

i think the iMacs are perfect for switching people. the minis are good, too, but the iMacs are better for conveying what Apple really is about - simplicity (everything in one unit) coupled with style and performance.

the low-end iMac isn't too expensive, either. yes, it's more than a mini, but you get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and more power.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Take them to the Apple Store first. Show them the iMac and see what they think about it. If they don't want to spend that much, then show them the mini.

9. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

I would get the iMac instead of the Mini. It will last a lot longer, and you can dual boot since they already been using Windows XP.

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I would just get a new mini. Why get a computer that's already a few years old and used when you can get a new one for not much more?

And, as mentioned, why would you need to expand if all you're doing is web browsing and WP?

11. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'll have them look at the Minis. If they get the low end Mini would the RAM be enough? I haven't tried running Tiger on just 512 MBs.

12. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I have a g4 mini with 1gb running tiger. before that, it only had 512 mb. it run fine for web and word processing...

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Honestly for Word and the Web you don't need a whole lot of power. For Tiger, 384 MB was plenty even on my 500 MHz G3 iMac. 768 MB is much better but o well. A new intel chip is far and beyond better than my G3.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

running Tiger on my old G4 mini with 512MB RAM was painful. i know others say it works fine, but i like my computers to zip - or, at least, not take forty bounces before Safari opens.

15. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

If this is their first Mac, they should get a heck of a machine. I would suggest some form of an iMac. They will probably provide all the necessities your parents would need in a computer. If they are interested in portability, go for a MacBook. Good luck!

16. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Minis start at $600 (new) and G4 Powermacs start around $900 (above 1ghz). You could get a dual processor Powermac for a little more but otherwise minis are a much better deal IMO.

Like someone else suggested take them into an Apple store. Depending on your style the looks of the Apple line will sometimes be the only sale point necessary. Then you might end up getting them to spring for a nice shiny iMac.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why? Since you can't buy something like an iMac in the PC world for any amount of money, and you can't buy something like a MacMini in the PC world for a reasonable price, it is quite possible that their reasons for wanting a tower are quite irrelevant to a Macintosh.

You can always buy an iMac, leave the old PC where it is with the cables unplugged, and pretend it is a tower. :D

18. dmelgar macrumors 68000

?? Last longer? Why exactly? With a Mini you can hook up the latest and greatest display as prices keep dropping, not so with an iMac.
    You can dual boot just as well with a Mini as an iMac.

I'd suggest an Intel Mini.

19. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I'd have to vote for the Mini too. I'm not so sure what's so appealing about a tower that they would limit their search to that, but of course they're not my parents. If all they're going to do is Internet and Word than they can even get away with a G3 (not that I would reccomend that :D ). Unless they want to dish out more money for the iMac, a Mini is more than enough for their uses. Like other people said, you already have a monitor, that's a big plus. To buy a G4 Powermac because you can "expand" it for Internet and WP, doesn't make sense to me when you can buy an Intel Mini for about the same price, brand new. I'd say Mini or iMac, don't waste your money on a G4, before you know it they're going to drop G4 support on a lot of software. They're already dropping G3 support left and right and in reality the G3 isn't that old. Either machine will last them a long time based on their uses.