what made you choose macbook pro, over macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbyl2, May 20, 2008.

1. dbyl2 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I am going to be doing gsce art next year (might buy a macbook) it it will be (in my case) 70% photoshop and illustrator, due to I do not need the graphics card for those apps what made you go from macbook to mbp, also if the screen a big issue on the go when doing design and the glossy screen (I do not need to worry at home due to I have a 19'' monitor I can conect it up to )
    Please reply with your answers
    thanks
    paul

2. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i had a 14" ibook for about 4 years before i upgraded to a MBP. one, i really dislike the glossy screens on macbooks. two, i'm not really a fan of the keypad. three, since the laptop is my only computer i didn't want to step down in terms of screen size.
    i really liked the widescreen, matte screen, aluminum finish, and extra speeds of the MBP. i'm sure it may be a bit of an overkill for my needs, but IMO it's just much nicer than a macbook.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MBP has ability to hook up to eSata raid or Firewire 800 raid.

If you don't know what they are, you probably don't need them, so MB might do ok.

Matte screen (although no laptop screen is good for color critical work, matte screen is better for those who works in graphics field).

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The sex appeal. Definitely the sex appeal...

Also the 15 inch matte screen is really nice to work on in my opinion. I have the Air and the Pro and the Pro is definitely the way to go for more serious work applications.

Hope you enjoy your purchase!!

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm going Mbp for 3 reasons

1. Screen size, and RES, I want as larger screen as possible, although I'm going 15" for portability. But for photoshop I think only a 30" ACD would quench my thirst for size.
    2. I do want to play some games on it, SPORE, garrys mod etc.
    3. I prefer aluminium so much more, and think the Mbp looks so much better than the Mb

6. John Purple macrumors regular

7. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

Same here

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Good thread this ..I'm in the same boat as you as regards to which to buy .

I think I might start a thread the opposite way round .

ie :Why did you choose a Macbook over a MBP

9. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

ability to do side-by-side documents while on the move.

10. nxent macrumors 6502

graphics/gaming, firewire800, widerscreen/resolution

11. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Dedicated graphics card which will enable me to play WoW better, otherwise i would have picked up a MB.

12. ra noodle Guest

dbyl2

i don't have the computer skills so many have in these forums but i think the design of the powerbook/MBP is terrific and they can keep it permanently as far as i'm concerned but for me specifically the back lit lettering of the MBP's letters are very helpful......i'm not one to whine about how this or that Mac product doesn't re-design itself constantly and some of the sillest excuses for their tantrum....except i have to take exception to how they got rid of the old nano design.....and second i believe that Jobs made a big mistake by simply taking the PB12" and making this into the MBA......there are a lot of people who liked and used and found the PB12" an excellent design and I still have mine and it works very well...I hope to at some point to have an upgrading of the HD from OWC....but I think any MBP will be excellent for you...if you can go to a store and compare the screens differences that will reslove your doubts

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

14. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Okay, I know I'm cheating a little here but I have both. The Macbook is a work laptop bought for the following main reasons:

1) Size. It's small and light enough to schlep around in a backback easily along with the required socks, undies, shirts etc on a mid-week trip to our development team in Germany.

2) Power. It's got enough juice to run most things I need regularly for work without complaining and XP just flies on it.

3) Price. It was the first Mac bought by our company and I managed to bring it in pound for pound with the equivalent Dell machine.

My personal machine is an almost 1 year old 17" Macbook Pro with the HD screen and it's an absolute beast. 4Gb of memory, the 7,2000 rpm hard drive option, 2.4Ghz processor this thing was bought specifically to be my day-to-day computer and has replaced my long-standing relationship with desktops without so much as a backwards glance. It's just about light enough to cart around when necessary although the MB is a better traveling companion, and the screen real estate makes working with stuff like databases or image files a breeze.

That being said, I did originally set out to get a 15" version but ran into the yellow backlight issue that plagued the first couple of batches. Net result was I got £100 discount off this machine so basically got the 7,200 rpm upgrade for free. I've never regretted it though and I honestly think that this machine could be my ONLY computer if necessary. The MB could probably do the same but I'd need an external screen for some jobs, especially graphics work. A 13" screen just isn't big enough to work with multiple windows IMO.

15. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Two reasons for me:

1. Matte screen. I like to sit out on my deck in the summer and surf the Web. Too much glare on the glossy screens.

2. Screen size. I have horrible eyesight, so every inch counts.

16. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

First reason, I was used to the form factor, coming from a powerbook.
    And I like the matte screen and the screensize.

17. MrGouda macrumors member

I bought mine cause I'm a gamer and the graphics card alone was worth the extra cash.

Also, I like it's bigger screen, the extra pixels are useful when using multiple apps and editing larger pictures.

18. dbyl2 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Hey guys
    Thanks for all the replies, buit due to the money situation i will not be able to make a purchase untill mabey 1st week in september, hopefully either the free ipod promotion is on or new macbooks are released with illuminated keyboards. one thing that is really preventing me getting a macbook (new) right now is the rubbish education discount, it is only 6% (like 47£) for my school and when you comapre that to other companies like adobe who give you sometimes 70/80% off their products which is great, in responce to one poster an apple store is comming to belfast (first one in ireland) mabey june/july they are hiring but no conformation on opening date. when it opens I will go up and visit to try out the laptops screen size, but i have a 19'' monitor at home and 24'' imacs at school so screen size isnt ''that'' much of an issue it is just the illuminated keyboard and led backlit screen and gpu

Thanks for all your replies
    Paul
    Dbyl2:apple:

19. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Looks, aliminium looks way better, Keyboard, Power, Graphics, bigger screen, etc.
    The macbook is only slightly lighter, not worth the weight.

20. thinkband macrumors regular

The screen is enough for me. For a while I was thinking I could get away with the macbook screen. I mean the macbook is fine for a college student like me with regards to power, but I hate the glossy screen. It is amazing that a sheet of film is worth $800 to me, but that is how I feel, because I cannot stand the glare when doing photography editing.

Besides that, I would get a macbook, but hey, I like the aluminum finish, backlit keyboard, faster, etc. =D

21. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

the MBP is amazing..but the recent upgrade brought the MB/MBP too close together..on everything except the graphics card, which it sounds like you might need. For college, maybe you could go with the MB/iMac combo..if not, an MBP will provide basically everything that you need and more! i've had my new MBP for months and love it..tons of power..

22. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Too close together. seriously?

Then what about...

13 inch vs 15 (or 17!)
    Plastic vs Aluminium
    Glossy screen vs Matte OR Glossy screen options
    1280 x 800 vs 1440 x 990 (or 1680x1050, or 1920x1200!!)
    Mini DVI vs Fullsize Dual Link DVI
    Firewire 400 vs Firewire 400 & 800

plus the MBP's illuminated keyboard, better speakers, ExpressCard slot,multi touch trackpad, LED backlighting... yes, they are both laptops, but the similarities stop there! Take it from someone using a MacBook right NOW and awaiting the new MBP :D

23. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

True there are a few differences but none justify the price difference imo

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Forgetting any of the external features, the basic computer components are very similar. For example:

£829.00 gets you 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD MacBook, and £1299.00 gets you the same processor and same RAM in a Pro model. For many people, paying out £470.00 extra for the additions you specify just won't be worth it.

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I perfectly accept that, it just gets irritating to hear "they're exactly the same computer durrr but this one's just silver and more expensive durrr" when they're in different leagues functionality-wise.