What made you get the new MB instead of MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kirbs, Oct 18, 2008.

1. kirbs macrumors member

Title says it all.

Just trying to decide between the two

Thanks

Kirby

2. alex000it macrumors member

What made me get the new MB instead of MBP?

1-Aluminium design (actually the MB looks lke a small MBP)
    2-Updated nVidia GPU
    3-LED Display
    4-DDR3
    5-PRICE ;)

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Umm... 1-4 are found on both!

So its got to be price, maybe portability, and if you prefer larger screen sizes, or need firewire!
    I went for a white MacBook, i didn't need the gpu really.

4. delude macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation as the OP, wondering whether it's worth saving £250 extra for the MacBook, or £500 for the Pro. Hmm....

5. Roller macrumors 68020

Slightly smaller size and 1 lb less weight - I carry it around a lot, but didn't want to compromise on the Air.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Size. I've always owned Macbook Pro's (9 in the last 2 years) but finally Apple has a reasonably spec'd 13" laptop.

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

In the same boat myself , I think the pro will last longer but then again I like the size of the MB ....I've seen some pics from gizmodo( I think) on this forum which show the two machines side by side,.............. judging from the pic , the screen on the MBP is a mile better than the MB's one especially paired with what the guy has to say about both machines , he says even the keys are better on the pro ???

Personally , I might just get the pro , keep it for a while then sell it on and get the newer version next Autumn when nehalem hits the notebook line

8. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'm just waiting for someone to post a pic of a gigantic stack of cash.

Oh, what the Hell...
    [​IMG]

9. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I initially ordered the Macbook Pro, but after a couple of days, I cancelled and reordered a Macbook.

I decided that the power of the Macbook would be plenty for my needs, and the extra portability will be more valuable to me.

It saved me over £400, so I ordered a Time Capsule and Aperture :D

10. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Size is probably the #1 reason for me. Price came next. Not to mention the 2.4 MacBook is almost equivalent to the MacBook Pro 2.4 in terms of performance minus the graphics. I don't need high end graphics for what I do so it was a no-brainer for me.

11. 7racer macrumors regular

SIZE for me.

I was debating the Air but the macbook is almost a perfect "air" save a pound.

I was hoping to replace my Core duo 17"MBP but with the delay started looking at other options.

I think I am going to go with the macbook and wait for the 17" with Nehalen

12. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

9 in the last two years?!?! Why? :eek:

13. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

i prefer the smaller screen and the lighter weight. money was not an issue in this decision.

14. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

i bought the new macbook, i wanted the pro bc of the bigger screen and the all around goodness, but it came down to money, so the mcbook suited me just fine

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My friend just ordered one - he's going from the 12" PowerBook G4.

The 13" Aluminum MacBook is the next logical upgrade.

16. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Love the size of the MB. Graphics are more than adequate for my needs (WoW is about the most graphics-intensive game I play).

17. cy88 macrumors member

cy88

18. jettie1767 macrumors regular

Ditto. Size and price. I've had two 15" Powerbooks then a 15" MBP. This time around, I think the Macbook has everything I need for so much less money and much lighter than the MBP.

19. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

1) size
    2) have a MacPro at home, so no need for the firewire (for editing anyway)on the laptop...Upgraded to the 2.4 with 4 gig memory
    3)Sold a MacBook Pro for the new MacBook so it was almost free !!

20. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

If you travel a lot, I'm closing in on 40 business trips this year, a 15-inch laptop is not even an option. :eek:

I wish Apple would come out with an 11-inch sub-notebook, though, but I guess we'll have to wait until Steve dies for that to happen. :eek: :p

21. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

As a couple of the posters before me have stated, size + price. I had 2 MBPs prior to my new Macbook, and am really happy with it. Sold my last MBP for enough to pretty much cover the cost of my new Macbook (2.4 GHz + 4 GB RAM). :D

22. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Couldnt justify the $900 pricegap between the first MB and the first MBP. Also I play games that demand good graphic card lika twice a year so I rather have the portability

23. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Honestly, I think the size is the biggest consideration for me. Why would I choose a macbook over a macbook pro? Size and price, those are the only reasons. Because I think the macbook pro is a better computer, better screen by far. But the price is to expensive for me to justify buying it, and the size is eh, to big for a laptop.

24. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

The MB fits my needs and the size is right. I needed a portable to complement my desktop and the MB fit the bill. So for me it was the size and the price.

I had been in the market for the blackbook when I heard the rumors about a new MB coming in the next few months, so I waited until they were released. The 2.4 was $100 more than the blackbook I was going to get, and had already put the money away for, so it worked out.

25. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

SIZE

Plus [sarcasm alert:eek:] I really can't stand FireWire