iPad What made you want an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kaye Star, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Kaye Star macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

I wanted an iPad after my high school gave them out to students. If not for that, I never would've cared for having one or Apple products whatsoever. My school gave out iPad 2's and I had mine for 1 1/2 years before I left. The first time around, I couldn't take it home, but the next year, I could and I loved it so much, I barely touched my laptop. Then, after the first semester, my school put restrictions on all students' iPads to forbid games and even removed the App Store. That sparked a bit of rebellion in me and I swore I'd have my own iPad someday that no one can restrict from me.

TL;DR version - It's my high school's fault I'm so in love with iPads.

What's your story?

2. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I found the iPad's aspect ratio best suited for doing my work-related reading.

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use it in bed a lot, mine acts as a streaming device,mi have some games, and I do a lot of reading on tech based sites too.

I love the retina screen...got to be something in it, as I've owned them all...except the newbie which I can't afford yet..my current is an IPad 4 64GB wifi...I bought it before Apple introduced the 128GB option, but I'll have that next time..:)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wanted a device to read books for my commute into work. Why spend money on a kindle when the iPad does this and more. I've found it to be very useful, not just for reading but other tasks as well.

6. The Doctor11, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I wanted it because it's iOS and a great tablet. And I love love love TLDR. I'm so happy it's back. I coundnt find the TLDR could you leave a link to it.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I wanted a replacement for my Kindle Fire which wasn't working too well as a tablet because the segment for 7" ones was just not there yet. The iPad Mini was announced at the right time and at the right price.

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I fell i love with iOS after buying my iPhone 4S, but I wanted a larger screen for reading books so I bought the iPad mini. I followed that with the purchase of the iPad 4 for web surfing. My next iOS device will likely be the iPad Air.

9. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I tend to read a lot of material in pdf format. i was printing it out and putting it in binders, but it was a pain to keep track of them and carry them around. I originally tried out a kindle eink device, but it wasn't very good at dealing with pdfs. Then I saw the original iPad mini and fell in love with the form factor.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my friend had one and i loved it so i looked for one, first i had a samsung galaxy tab, returned it, got an iPad 2 then eventually sold that and ended up with the iPad 4.

11. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I admit at first, I thought I'd never want or need one. Two years after the first one was released, we had just moved into a new house and my books and photo albums were still packed in boxes in the basement. There was a small flood but the boxes of books were just about all ruined. My photo albums were ok, but the thought of having 30 years of photos destroyed scared me. My wife got an iPad 3 when they were released and I tested out reading on it because I wasn't sure if I would like the whole e-book thing. I ended up loving it, so I got myself an iPad 3 and a photo scanner for it to become mainly an e-reader and digital photo album. Since then it has almost become a laptop replacement. I use it most of the time.

12. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I wanted a tablet as a sort of laptop replacement (my older 13").

I got the iPad because I see it as one of the best, hardware wise.

The downside is it has iOS. I want to do split screen app usage like my Note 3 or the Windows Surface tablets. I would of gotten a Surface, but a system without much software development is just dead in the water.

13. cynics macrumors G3

I wanted something to take the load off my iPhone. I use it constantly for Pandora, iMessage, FaceTime, etc.

It seemed an iPad was the perfect solution. Now I can just leave my phone plugged in on the other side of the room and do everything on the iPad. Plus it's a more pleasant user experience with a larger screen.

14. kb12252004 macrumors newbie

This one's easy -- iPad mini retina with cellular, as an alternative to the iPhone for those of us who don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract with typical monthly bills approaching $100; nor are heavy phone users; yet want an iOS device with reasonable portability where cellular data service can be quickly and easily activated right from the device. With Facetime audio, Talkatone/Google Voice, etc., it meets my occasional phone needs as well. I like paying $20 for 30 days of cellular data (Verizon) only when I need it; and don't miss the high monthly smartphone bills. The iPad (w/ Verizon service) can also tether without any additional charges.

15. bpbatch, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

16. Crusader007 macrumors member

surfing, reading, music, movies while lazily relaxing on sofa or bed

17. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I wanted an iPad after liking my old iPod Touch and iPhone so much, but I didn't want to spend 500+ dollars on an iPad, so I bought a first gen Nexus 7. I ended up hating my N7, and after seeing how much better I liked my mom's and brother's first gen iPad Minis, I waited to buy an iPad because I figured the next gen full sized iPad would look just like it.

18. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I wanted an ipad since Apple released the iPad Mini. When Steve Job announced the iPad 1st generation, I knew that in the future that Apple will be releasing the iPad Mini. Since it has, it was worth the wait and went ahead and got my self the iPad Mini 1st generation. I honestly did not care about the screen resolution.

Even now I have the Ipad rMini 128 GB Wifi + Cellular data.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Many reasons I wanted an iPad. I don't have to take out rMBP out of backpack or messenger on the train or bus creating distraction. When I retired to my bed I can enjoy my iPad for watching Netflix, rMBP won't do any good on my twin bed. :apple:

20. Shanghaichica, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don't know really. When I had an iPhone I didn't see the point in getting an iPad as they do the same thing. After I moved to android I started to see the benefits of having a larger screen. Got a few android tablets but wasn't entirely happy with the experience. Decided to get an iPad mini because iOS has a better tablet ecosystem and has more video content in the iTunes Store. I got my first tablet in 2012, don't know why I waited so long. I use my iPad mini everyday. I rarely use my computer anymore.

21. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I'm similar to the above poster, had initially an iPod Touch and loved it but always had Android phones. I'd had various Android tablets too including a Nexus 7 but never felt happy with any of them. Got my wife's old iPad 2 and loved it! Foolishly sold it but missed it so for myself a Mini. I tend to use that and my iPhone more than my laptop now too!

I think I fell for the iOS ecosystem via the Touch, which slowly pulled me in. I've found the iPad better to use than any Android tablet if had before, and like the integration between devices.

22. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have had every iPhone since the 3G. Less some of the increments. When the iPad mini was rumored I fell in love with the idea, and ordered the original iPad mini on day one. I have never gone a day without taking the mini with me everywhere. So the rumor mill is what made me want an iPad and having one is what makes me continue to want to have an iPad.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I wanted a tablet to pick up and put down when needed as a general entertainment, internet surfing device.

I had a go with various tablets that were cheaper than the iPad, but none of them came close in terms of pleasure of use. I bought an iPad because it was the best for me. :)

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I wanted a tablet but at the time I was very Anti Apple. I bought the Motorola Xoom. Got into the Apple EcoSystem via an iPhone 3G... decided I loved iOS and wanted a bigger device so bought the iPad2. Then the 3rd Gen iPad, then the mini, and now the Air and the rMini.

The Xoom is gathering dust.

I am now fully immersed in Apple.. iMac, Macbook Air and MacBook Pro. Oh and Apple TV.

Now I hate having to use clunky laptops and windows for work.

25. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I wanted to have something that I could use to read books comfortably. I chose the iPad rMini because it's the perfect size for reading as well as watching movies, streaming Netflix, gaming, etc. I use it only when I'm out of the house and away from my laptop, but it's a great device to have :)