What makes the new iPhone ellegedly thicker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, May 22, 2008.

?

What makes the new iPhone ellegedly thicker?

1. GPS

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Larger battery

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. GPS + Larger battery

41 vote(s)
    57.7%
  4. Design (wtf?!)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Well first of all, what makes the current iphone so thick, touch screen? Battery? Design?

Second, What new feature makes the new iphone [allegedly] thicker? A 3G chip isnt bigger than any EDGE chip, it has to be something else.

It HAS to be GPS or some'...larger battery maybe...I dunno...

:cool:

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The general assumption is a GPS module and/or a larger battery to power the higher-consumption chips.

3. iPegboy macrumors regular

my completely uneducated guess would say that GPS would cause it to be slightly thicker.

4. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well wasnt the reason why they dropped 3G in the first time due to battery draining 3G chips? In that case they could have used 3G and made it thicker from the beginning. Now, however, there are 3G chips that doesnt consume that much battery, larger batteries would therefore seem unneccessary and uncalled for...?

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I still really don't buy this whole "thicker" rumor. Sounds to me like classic Apple disinformation so that they can shock and awe everyone with how thin the new model will be (even if it isn't really much thinner).

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If anything, based on my reading is we could see a thicker 32Gb iPhone. Same way the 160Gb iPod is thicker then the 80Gb. Otherwise I would have to think there is no way in he** apple would make this thing thicker. Not that it matters as I will buy it either way.

7. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

A slightly thicker iPhone would however indicate GPS presence, therefore its acceptable :D

What do you think ppl would like more about the new iPhone:

- Thinner than rumored size (current thickness)

or

- GPS (awesome!)

?

8. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. iPhone's memory is flash based = no physical size increase. iPod Classic = HDD = 1980's. ;)

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Well, it'll have an extra radio in it for the 3G frequency, possibly a second Bluetooth radio for stereo headsets, maybe a GPS receiver, maybe a bigger battery. Lots of possibilities.

10. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Has anyone consideered......

Has anyone stopped to consider that a plastic back may just be a little thicker than a metal back......

11. bstpierre macrumors 6502

It is possible that it needed a lower power 3G chip AND a bigger battery to make the battery life acceptable. I am sure they could have come out with a 3G iPhone to begin with but it would have been very much thicker instead of a little thicker.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

GPS requires a fair size antenna that must go somewhere.

13. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

I digg, though I dont believe in a plastic back, Apple has moved beyond pure style plastic to metal now. :D

14. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

according to some recent posts. The new FW update 2.0 is supposed to have a strand of code that allows "enabling/de-enabling" of 3G network. This obviously the primary reason of battery consumption when it is not needed. My best guess would be, that although we have made great strides in use of battery with 3G... It still remains an issue worth monitoring.

15. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uhm no? Nokia N95 is much smaller...

16. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Apple wouldnt dare use plastic would they.... No recent aple products have subsytantial plastic bits on the front or back.... classic, nano, imac, air these are allll aluminium.... The ipohne will not have a plastic back... it will crack to eaily if dropped... come on and its not enviromentally friendly....:apple:

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yes, but with the current design there's almost no free room inside the phone as is. Adding GPS and a spot for a second flash memory chip (which is the cheapest way to get 32GB in the phone) would require extra space.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The Nokia doesn't have an iPhone in it either.;) You start with an iPhone then add an antenna for GPS, G3 chip, GPS chips, a little larger battery and you get the new size.

19. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get it, but I prefer larger size with GPS than more battery...

20. impact_blue macrumors regular

The older gen iPods were thicker because Apple couldn't get around in anyway so if it's the same case for the iPhone when added GPS and a bigger batter for the 3G they'll go ahead and make it bigger.

21. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I could really care less weather its 1-3mm thicker. If those few mm's buy me better technology, longer battery life, and larger storage capacity who cares? As it is the iPhone is a bit too svelt. It almost slips out of your hands, (another irritation is Apples preference for sleak design thats not actaully practical.) A cell phone needs to have a certain amount of functionality because your constantly using it. So if its slippery. It could fly our of you hand and crack on the ground!

Sorry for the rant. But overall a plastic back could help reception so the antena can get better reception. I hear that aluminum tends to make the signal weaker. I'm fine with it. I want to be able to get calls better than have some shinny aluminum back that makes half my calls cut out.

22. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

my iphone actually stays in my hand more than my older phones did (I dropped my nextels all the time) I'm actually surprised how well it fits

23. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

24. phinnaeus macrumors member

You seem to contradict yourself, there.

Personally, I could NOT care less about a millimeter or two of extra thickness, as long as it serves a good purpose.

25. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I think you missed out the whole '3G' part !!!