What makes you so loyal to Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tekno, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of Android vs iPhone threads and, in all of them, a lot of people are taking it quite personally and displaying their unwavering support for Apple. Personally I don't have feelings or loyalty to any company - I'll just pick the best product for my needs - so I find it interesting that people react in such a way.

What is it that makes you so loyal to Apple? What was it that first cemented that loyalty?

Any how far would your loyalty go? For argument sake, imagine Apple still had the original iPhone (no 3G, no app store etc.) but Android was where it is today - would you continue to buy iPhones?

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I wasn't to bothered about phones before the iPhone came along. I just wanted the easiest smallest phone I could get.

Now that I have an iPhone and many other Apple products this is the first time I have understood how a "brand/company" operates if you buy into their philosophy.

I've taken away lots of other technology in favour of Apples ecosystem and I love it.

If something isn't working right its easiest to diagnose etc. I don't think for a moment that Apple will start to make bad products. I hope they stay true to design and vision.

3. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

And will you stay with them even if they fall significantly behind other manufacturers technology?

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well I'm happy with my 4S at the moment. If Apple feels that the current spec is good enough/not good enough to run the OS i trust them.

If other companies feel the need to have the highest specs available I hope its because the OS needs it and not just a one-upmanship.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Nothing. Never have, never will be.

Brand loyalty is for suckers. Apple isn't looking out for you or your best interests, but neither is basically every major corporation, so why should you blindly throw your loyalty behind them?

I've had little to no issues with my MacBook after 5.5 years, but I also had no issue with my HP laptop for the 4.5 years before that. I also briefly had a Toshiba and that worked just fine.

Apple, HP, Dell, Lenovo, doesn't matter. OS X, Windows XP/7, Android, WP7.8/8.

All that matters is that whatever product I purchase is that it's reliable, it meets my needs, and comes at an affordable price.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'd probably buy a Windows phone in that case. The last thing I'd want would be an Android. I just don't like the UI. It is too clunky and unintuitive.

Besides if you go to other websites. The Android or Microsoft fans bash Apple just as hard if not worst. I'll take a good UI over the latest tech or for a higher price up to a certain point. But I could care less who makes it just as long as I like it.

I have both Windows and Apple computers. I have an iPhone but am strongly considering Windows Phone. Perhaps Windows Phone 8. Although I won't replace my first year iPhone 3GS until it stops doing what I need it to do. If Android has the UI I want by then I'll go that route or Blackberry, WebOS or the phone Firefox is working on.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

As long as Apple meets my needs I don't see a reason to change. Having used Android for my work phone, I am not a big fan. I haven't used ICS, nor do I really care.

The comments that are usually taken personal is the digs people dish out to people who use Apple products. Or the rub it in face of an iPhone user that their android has a ginormous screen or LTE. I like the size of my iPhone screen and LTE might be nice, but my data speeds aren't slow on AT&T anyway so I don't see the big deal.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, there are just as many, if not more Android loyalists on the board as well, who exhibit the same passion and loyalty to Android. There is not just one extreme, there are two. Most people are in the middle with leanings one way or the other, and there is a vocal group on the poles.

I buy the products that meet my needs and workflow best. So far, that is an Apple computer (MBA), an Apple tablet (iPad3) and an Apple phone (iPhone 4s). If they did not meet my needs, or if another product fit me better, I would choose it. But Apple has balanced design, speed, battery life, user experience and more in such a way that they continue to get my money.

I am not loyal to the iPhone because it is an Apple product. For me, it provides the best interface, apps, battery life and more for my work flow. I don't need a phone to wow or entertain me with widgets, themes or such. I need a phone that works well for my needs, and the iPhone does that exceptionally well without the need to fiddle with it.

9. Queso macrumors G4

I have an iPhone because I had purchased a bunch off AAC encoded tunes from Apple when I had my iPod. I bought an iPod because at the time every other manufacturer's MP3 players only supported WMA DRM, and Microsoft refused to release WMA DRM for the Mac. I bought my first Mac back in 1996 and have always updated to Macs because I have quite a large investment in software, some of which has become obsolete over time, but never has everything become obsolete together.

So it's less loyalty and more a desire to purchase what I know will work with my other stuff.

10. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not suggesting that its exclusive to Apple fans or this forum, I don't doubt the same happens elsewhere with other companies.

----------

Again, I'm not suggesting that's the case, but its the Apple loyalty I was interested in.

I didn't bother reading any more of your post as the tone was immediately on the attack.

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You should do. It was interesting.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And yet you go beyond the premiss of the thread title yourself, and suggest a debate ensue?? Strange behaviour.

13. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a strange person!

I decided to not bother reading any more because that person immediately pointed the finger at others. I just thought it was childish and a bit of a "don't blame us, blame them" attitude.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I used to be 100% loyal to Apple because going from Windows XP -> 10.4 was such a massive leap. Apple products were amazing, functional, and fashionable too. They were literally best-in-class.

And then... they weren't. And I realized my apple fanboyism had been blinding me to everything that wasn't Apple. Once I opened my eyes and realized how much Windows boxes had progressed, I realized being loyal to Apple was robbing me of choices.

Right now I have a macbook air, but otherwise I use Windows. I find it much easier to do what I want with Windows, as it's not such a closed all-in-one solution.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Since you realize this is childish and you're not going to read anymore. You can report this thread to the mods and request them to close it.

16. MonkeySee...., Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I started my OSX journey in 2010. Unlike you I need to get rid of windows. I find OSX more enjoyable and i'm sick of Windows not finding solutions to issues. In fact I'm not even sure why the feature exists. :D

This is no dig at you by the way, just pointing out old school user (you) vs new school user (me).

You clearly appreciate design as you have an Air so i'm surpised to see you have a Vostro :D

17. ahbdesign macrumors member

This 'loyalty' that you speak of comes from the consumers choices/preferences. According to me (and to a lot of other people now), Apple makes a superior product to its competitors. Note: emphasis on 'me'! What's good for me may not be good for you, in other words.

Additionally, Apple has the best customer satisfaction ratings in the tech market (according to JD Power). This can solely contribute to 'loyalty', as the customer is happy and is willing to continue buying from this company as it has established a trust with the consumer.

Regarding how far would my loyalty go? Well this is a somewhat pointless question. Most likely I would not buy the iPhone 'now' if it didn't have 3G, app store etc. I would assume that the android would fulfill my smartphone needs so I would buy that then.

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I'm not loyal to any company. Anyone who is loyal to a giant faceless corperation is just a tool. They don't care about anything besides your money.

I buy products that do what I need them to, I don't care who makes them.

I've always had a mac around, though my 2011 imac might be the last one.

For my daily broswing machine, and light gameplay, I use my imac, its great.

Looks nice in my living room to.
    But, when I want real performance, at work I'm on a windows/linux workstation, and at home I use my gaming tower.

I buy the machine that suits my needs the best, if apple makes it, ill buy. If dell makes it, ill buy from them.

I have zero loyalness to any brand. Expect Ford, but that's just because I know how to work on them

19. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm sorry you took my post as an attack, for that was not my intention at all. I was merely pointing out there were two sides to the equation, not just the one you were focusing on. I didn't point the finger at one side or the other but said there were two poles. Both sides have their zealots for their own specific reasons. If you choose to only recognize one side, that is certainly your prerogative.

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

People keep going on about that but I don't buy it. Of course they want to make money but the fact that Jobs said he would use all the money Apple has to destroy Android shows how passionately he felt about what he was producing.

Johnny Ive also love what he does.

I know you wont agree but hey ho :)

22. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I use Apple products because that is what works best for me. I have never had any problems with reliability which tends to be my biggest concern. And as stated above, my software is mostly for mac. Although in the early years of Apple (1997) it was hard to find good software. The software change over would cost me a lot of money. I do have a Gateway laptop as well which I use when I am sitting around the TV. It has always been dependable as well and even at 5 years old still does what I require of it. So as for loyalty; I am more loyal to Apple due to cost change over and always having reliability, but would never not consider other options if they better support my needs.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I don't consider myself a "fanyboy" per se however I do like the products that Apple makes. They're sleek, functional and well made plus the integration with them is quite good. I initially balked at the iPhone as I thought ALL Apple products were lame, over priced and, somewhat, elitist due to the pricing of their products. I got an iPod Mini for Xmas one year and really liked it despite the fact it crapped out on me 366 days later (literally). It wasn't until I bought an iPhone 3G that I realized that it was pretty frickin good for a smartphone. Another iPod/iPhone later I was pretty hooked. Then I got a MBP from work and that pretty much sealed the deal as far as Apple products go. Then the iPad 3 was pretty much icing on the cake for me.

I do look around at other brands to see what they have to offer so, despite what my signature says, I do look at other manufacturers when it comes to buying tech goodies. But, being neck deep in Apple's ecosystem, kinda hard to leave :eek:

And using your example, I would've probably bought a Droid phone in that scenario.

24. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

My two cents:

I have worked in computer support for over 20 years. For many of those years, I would finish a day working to keep windows PCs running well then return home to fuss with windows PCs into the night to keep them running well.

About 15 years ago I switched over to an iMac - maybe I bought into the hype, maybe I was returning to my roots...whatever. But when I switched over, my evenings freed up and I was able to relax and not have to fiddle and tinker with computers in my private time.

Apple helped me reclaim my time - and I have paid them back by staying loyal to their products as well as recommending them to others.

In the past few years, I feel like my loyalty has been rewarded further as better and increased interoperability of apple devices (airplay, time machine, back to my mac, etc...) has really made things easier.

I still work on PCs and don't have a particular bias against any hardware or software - it's all a preference and choices are made based on need. But I choose to use Apple consumer products in my personal life because they are easy to use and work together so well.

25. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I think being loyal to companies is silly. If it's what works for you, then of course you should get it, but buying products just because of the brand is ridiculous.

I'm not loyal to any brand. I had an iPod Touch, which was my first iOS experience. I got bored with that and when I finally jumped on the smartphone train, I went with Android. Right now I have a Galaxy S2 and I plan on getting the S3, but if Apple or another company releases something better, I will not hesitate to get it.