All iPads What makes you upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HTK, Apr 6, 2013.

1. HTK macrumors newbie

What makes you upgrade to a new iPad. I've had my iPad 2 since it launched. It's my 2nd Apple device that I have owned. Now I'm a huge tech fan in general and do understand the appeal of latest and greatest. But my iPad 2 hasn't given me a reason to upgrade. I regularly use it to browse web, YouTube, email, Netflix, Spotify, Skype video/audio chat, gaming, books and in some cases create content. This iPad 2 is now over 2yrs old and it shows no sign of slow downs or anything that would prevent me from my daily tasks listed above. My only reason to upgrade would be to have another one around the house since this one is used a lot by myself and my girlfriend.

Just wanted to see what are some of the reasons why you upgrade and can your old iPad still preform most of the tasks today?

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

For a lot of people here, we like technology and we all know you don't need to upgrade to the latest devices as the previous models still work just fine. The new ones just perform better. My iPad 2 was fantastic when I bought the 4. It seemed fast and the battery lasted over 10 hours. I picked up the 4 and it's faster and the screen is more crisp. I didn't need it... but the heck, I bought into the marketing propaganda and picked one up. I could be using an iPad 2 today and still be content.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

I upgraded my 2gen iPad (which was my first) when retina came, because I use my iPad extensively to read scientific articles and it made the reading experience that much better. I'm currently perfectly happy with my 3gen and don't expect I'll upgrade for a while. It's fast for my use patterns, and I have nearly 20 GB left of storage of my 64. Some kind of storage upgrade or a major weight reduction might be attractive in the future. The one thing that would make me upgrade in a minute is predictive text keyboard.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Upgrading from the iPad to the iPad 2 felt like a necessity, the original iPad, while amazing, lacked RAM and power, and was pretty chunky.

The fact that the retina iPads are fatter and heavier than the iPad 2 is probably a key reason why they haven't tempted me. Once the form factor changes it might well be time to leave the iPad 2 behind.

I think for most people there's a feature or features that, when unveiled to them, would improve the experience to the extent that they feel its time to upgrade. I'm one of the people for whom a retina display just wasn't worth jumping for.

I did recently buy the iPad mini. Yes, unbeknown to me there's room for two iPads in my life. The mini is fantastic I have to say, quicker than the iPad 2 - makes me realise that yes, actually perhaps I am getting due for an upgrade.

5. MauerFan macrumors regular

Oh man, the mini is great. I get retina is awesome, but I just love how I can use the mini in one hand, and the screen isn't terrible.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It feels a gap I never could have imagined existed. Such a lovely form-factor, I take it everywhere now and only put rue iPad 2 in my bag if I know I'll be in long meetings with a desk so I can set it down for typing. Otherwise, typing on the iPad mini in portrait mode is much easier when deskless.

7. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Upgraded from the one to the two for speed.

From the two to three for the amazing display.

Planning to upgrade from the three to five for (hopefully :p) thinner, lighter design, faster processor, and I'm starting to figure out that 16GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

8. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm interested to see how well it handles notes and other college schoolwork. I can't see myself getting a regular sized iPad, although the regular sized one is a fantastic device as well.

9. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Once you use the Mini it's tough to go larger. ;)

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

that's what he/she said

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Can you honestly say that .03" thickness increase is that noticeable to you?

12. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

for me:

when the unit has outlived its usefulness
    when there is a new have to have feature
    if i find an unreal deal on a current model

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I usually upgrade my units every year, mostly because it is fun to do so and I cannot see why not.

14. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Apple releases a new one. That's when I buy it.

15. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

For me it was all about Retina. I love to read on the iPad and the 1st gen was just too "pixel-ly" for a hard core reader (I also have VERY good reading eyes). When the 3rd-gen hit, it was a no-brainer to upgrade for that reason.

16. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I might upgrade from iPad 2 if/when I get a device which is a lot lighter (iPad 5? iPad mini 2?) and with retina display and without any loss in performance or battery life.

17. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

if i'm still crying at the end from the beauty of the jon ive video, chances are i will make the upgrade. LOLLLL jk.

i will only make the upgrade is there is a functional difference that is worth paying more for. to me, there was no valued functional difference between the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, so i am still rockin' the 4S.

again to me there is no functional difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4. i am still rockin' the iPad 3.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Upgrade from 1 to 2 was a no-brainer because of reduction in thickness and weight.

I hesitated with the 2 to 3 but the retina display won me over.

When the 4 was announced, I immediately knew I was skipping that one. I did buy a mini to try it out because I was curious about the new form factor, and ended up keeping it. I now use the mini to carry outside the house, and the 3 at home. If the 5 has a mini-like form factor, I'd probably upgrade, especially if they have a 128GB model. I doubt I'd upgrade the mini, but we'll see.

Basically, what makes me upgrade is at least one major feature that I want. Or sometimes a bunch of smaller features that together add up to a good overall upgrade. And yes, improved portability due to reduction of weight is a feature. :)

19. maxosx macrumors 68020

My formula for determining if I will upgrade involves these questions:

1) Am I enjoying the current model or just putting up with it.

2) Do I have an interest in the upcoming model.

3) Will it do some of the tasks I do now, but do them faster or smoother.

20. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

:eek:

21. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Went from original ipad to iPad 3 due to that great display and how apple wouldn't upgrade the os anymore.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

What makes me upgrade?

Apple, Apple make me upgrade. Flaunting their new shiny things, including Jony's shiny head in the videos :)

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My first iPad was the iPad 2. I upgraded to the iPad 3 because of the Retina display. I honestly can't tell you a good reason I would have to upgrade to a new one. I don't use the camera, I don't have a 3G/4G model. It would basically take this one dying.

24. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I upgrade any of my iOS devices when somebody else in the family needs a new one. Wife needed an iPad, so I got an iPad 2 and gave her my original. Mother-in-law needed an iPad so I got the iPad 3 and gave her my iPad 2. Wife couldn't run an app on iOS 5.1 anymore so I got an iPad 4 and she got my iPad 3. It's a wonderful little upgrade racket I got going on here. ;)

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, it was the introduction of the Mini. Before that I was rocking with an iPad 1, so nothing that apple provided up to the mini was enough to justify spending $$ to upgrade my iPad.